PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express and Southwest

the other micki
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Just want to make sure I am understanding this right...If you fly Southwest, you can't use DME...is this correct?

thanks!

PopPhan
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
That is 100% WRONG!!!! :D

You can use DME Inbound (TO WDW) with ANY airline, as long as you are flying into MCO.

You can use DME Outbound (FROM WDW) with Southwest Airlines from any Value Resort, and very soon (I'm not sure of exact dates) from ANY resort, as long as you are flying out of MCO.

snowflakegirl
03-19-2010, 11:39 AM
You can use DME Outbound (FROM WDW) with Southwest Airlines from any Value Resort, and very soon (I'm not sure of exact dates) from ANY resort, as long as you are flying out of MCO.

I flew out of a moderate hotel with Southwest...I just couldn't check my luggage at the resort, I had to have it loaded onto the ME bus and then check it myself at the airport, but otherwise there were no issues.

the other micki
03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Great!!! Glad I'm wrong! I read on Info. Central that DME only had certain participating airlines like JetBlue, Delta, American, etc. Didn't see Southwest on the list. Wonder why they only have certain airlines listed?

Thanks for clearing it up!

Oh yeah, just another little question...about how long does it take from when your plane lands at MCO to get to the resort?

WishingStar2006
03-19-2010, 11:53 AM
I think the confusion is that there is HUGE difference between DME and the resort air-line check-in.

DME services all airlines as they just are concerned with when you will arrive at the airport and when you need to be back to depart. They ask for flight information only to get the arrival and departure times for scheduling.

DME also services all resorts...they will drive you there and pick you up at the resort you tell them.

Inbound, if you have used the yellow tags, they will pick up your luggage and deliver it to your resort...regardless of the airline or the resort.

On your return to the airport on your day of departure, some airlines participate in Resort Check-in meaning that you can leave your luggage and get your boarding pass right there at your resort on the day of check-out. In the past, Southwest did not participate in this program so you had to load your luggage on the DME bus on the way back to the airport to check it in yourself.

Recently, Southwest has started testing their participation in the resort check-in at some of the resorts.

I don't know which resorts are participating...I think they tested it at the All Stars and Port Orleans. I think they are expanding that now but I'm not certain of which resorts and when.

Hope this helps!!!

Strmchsr
03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I flew out of a moderate hotel with Southwest...I just couldn't check my luggage at the resort, I had to have it loaded onto the ME bus and then check it myself at the airport, but otherwise there were no issues.

That's been the case until recently. It now seems SWA will be available for the resort airline check-in from any resort. I'm not sure of the date, either, but it's sometime this month.

CleveRocks
03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I've read that D-Day is March 30. I can't confirm this, however.

CleveRocks
03-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Long story short:

EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE can use all aspects of DME on arrival day. The bus AND the automatic luggage delivery.

It's only on the LAST DAY of your trip that airline matters.

On the last day of the trip, some people can check-in their luggage at their resort, and some people have to take their luggage with them to the airport. But EVERYONE gets the bus ride back to the airport if they want it.

CleveRocks
03-19-2010, 02:39 PM
On the last day of your trip, people who are flying on a "participating airline" are permitted to use a service called Resort Airline Check-in (RAC). RAC is a totally separate service from DME. They actually have NOTHING to do with each other. NOTHING.

There is a RAC desk at every Disney owned-and-operated resort. Think of RAC as curbside check-in, only it's at your resort rather than at the airport. Just like with curbside check-in, at RAC you receive your boarding passes and you check your luggage through to your final destination; you will no longer have access to your luggage until you pick it up at your home airport's baggage claim, and at the Orlando airport you get to skip your airline's ticket counter and go directly through Security (because, just like with curbside, you've already checked-in for your flight and you already have your boarding passes).

The RAC staff at the resorts' RAC desks are NOT Disney employees. They are EXACTLY like skycaps at an airport curbside check-in, and you should tip them just like you tip a curbside skycap.

The RAC desk at your resort is NOT a Disney's Magical Express desk. Many people call it that, but those many people are wrong. :D RAC and DME are totally separate. In other words, you can't go to the RAC desk with any DME issues or questions. I'd also advise NOT asking DME questions of the staff at the resort, either, as they, too, are woefully under-trained; they not only don't know much about how DME works, but they are also powerless to do anything regarding DME service. While at Disney World, if you have any DME-specific questions, call DME directly at 866-599-0951.

the other micki
03-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks! You've all been very helpful!

Now for some more questions...
How long does it take to get to your resort from the airport when using DME (just an estimate)? Also, if your plane departs MCO at, say around 6pm, what time do you leave the resort on DME?

:rocks:

Strmchsr
03-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Now for some more questions...How long does it take to get to your resort from the airport when using DME (just an estimate)? Also, if your plane departs MCO at, say around 6pm, what time do you leave the resort on DME?

The average time from landing to arrival at your resort is 90 min, though be sure to allow 2 hours at least before planning anything.

In general DME will pick you up 3-3 1/2 hours before your flight time, depending on the bus schedule. No less than 3 hours before, though. So, if your plane leaves MCO at 6 plan on being picked up between 2:30 and 3:00.