PDA

View Full Version : What to Pack????

Disneyfirsttimer
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
We are arriving on March 27. The forecast shows that as the coolest day with showers. The weather is currently forecasted through Thursday (we are leaving Saturday, April 3). Seems to be mid to high 70s during day and high 50s night.

Should I be bringing shorts for the kids with t-shirts for day and maybe jeans at night with a light jacket. Would capris be OK? The other times we have visited have clearly been short and t-shirt weather. This time I am not sure. I don't want to overpack.

Any suggestions?

Karyn

5togetherWDW
03-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I wear knee length skirts in the winter, so I would surely be comfortable in capris. I have been happy in shorts at those temps for everything other than sitting on the ground in the evenings (parades / fireworks.) For myself, ir doesn't feel like WDW unless I'm in something summery. I do spread a sweatshirt or a raincoat on the ground in the evenings, though. (We always carry thin jackets or sweathirts along.)
You don't say how old your kids are - for mine that made a big difference. When they were younger, mine liked having jersey pants along to pull on in the evenings. The thin jersey is enough to cut the wind and folds small enough to carry into the parks in a backpack. (When really young, I also brought small blankets that could cover legs in the stroller.)
As they aged, my older son decided he doesn't like changing, or adding pants, in the park. He did wear jeans on one cooler day, but - for the rest of the trip (s) - has chosen to wear longer shorts -- then just rub his legs and suggest indoor attractions as the evening progresses.

Disneyfirsttimer
03-18-2010, 01:53 PM
My son is 10.5 and my daughter is 8.

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I find to always dress in layers in the "questionable" time of the year. Our last trip in October was a great example of one extreme to the next. The evening we got there it was in the 50's and really windy at night. Kids were cold. The next day it was cool 70's in the morning but, by lunch was in the upper 80's. It was in the 90's the rest of the week...

this was in late October.

I always dressed them in layers. For girls, you could wear leggings under shorts/skirt and that's easy enough to take off. Capri's sound perfect. I would do tank top, t-shirt and sweatshirt layering. The early mornings and evenings will be chilly, especially in WS watching illuminations.

megustamex
03-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Check the hourly forecast. That is a better indication of the highs/lows. Then you'll know what temperature it will be in the morning when you set out for the park and what it will be at 9pm when you're watching fireworks. Most of the time the low hits around 2 or 3am when you're asleep.

But definitely bring a range of clothes. I like to wear shorts with a light jacket during the day during similar weather, and then after a break at the hotel I'll go out in the capri pants and a jacket. The other thing is it always seems warmer in the parks than in the parking lot outside your hotel. Maybe more warm bodies in one place or buildings blocking the wind?

lettripp
03-18-2010, 06:30 PM
We went during this season a few years ago. I brought jeans, capris, shorts, sweatshirts, tank-tops... the works. My most frequented ensemble: Capris with a tank-top and sweatshirt layer.

Hope this helps!

eeyorepoohfan
03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Weather is always a tricky thing to figure out. We went in December and it was supposed to be in the 60s and low 70s. Well the first day it was drizzly and cool in the 50s. The rest of our trip was hitting record highs and high humidity. I didn't pack shorts and regretted that decision. I ended up having to roll my jeans up to my knees to keep from passing out. So my lesson I learned is always plan for all weather, within reason. Definately take shorts, capris and pants. Take colors that won't show spills or dirt so they can wer them again if needed. Light jackets can easily be tied around their waists. Another nice option is to take a backpack to put in the layers when they aren't needed. Plus you can carry your water, snacks and camera easily. But definately layer and take warm weather clothes!!! :D

Donald's Girl
03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
I always think where you're coming from is really important this time of year. I know, living in upstate NY, it was 50 today and I went out without a jacket since it's such a relief from winter cold!
Seeing where you live, keep in mind what feels cold to a southerner sure doesn't feel cold to you!

Darbylew
03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
We live in Florida....the weather can change at
anytime. This time of year it is cool in the
mornings and late afternoons on into the night.
I would take crop pants and 3/4 sleeve shirts. I
would also take sweat shirts and light weight
jackets. You can always tie them around your
waist. You can always get a locker and leave
outer wear in there. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY!!! :D

disneyers
03-18-2010, 09:53 PM
We were at WDW this week. Highest was 71 and low's in the 50's at night. I was FREEZING most of the day in the capri's & long sleeve shirts and sundresses/ long sweaters I brought to wear.

I had to break down and pay nearly $80 for a sweatsuit (that I had to search high and low to find since most shops were wiped out during the super cold snap in Jan/Feb.) I had to wear 2 shirts underneath (short sleeve and long sleeve) in the morning until around noon, before I felt warm.

To be fair, others were wearing capris/ shorts with tshirts and light jackets. But some of them were shivering!

I would pack at least one really warm outfit for everyone. Then if you need it, you have it & can wash it every day if need be (that's what I had to do.) But if you don't needed it, you'll be no worse off! :mickey:

Lakin
03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Actually, a great idea is to find a pair of zipper pants. It has 2 zippers and unzipping the bottom zipper will take off the bottom part and make them capris and taking off the top zipper will take off the middle section and make them shorts. Not sure if this was a very accurate description, but if you do, they're nice for quick changing.