PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with runner's knee?

Julie_Mouse
03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I LOVE to run; typically 3-4x per week, for about 5-8 km each run (I'm Canadian, can you tell? :cap:). When the weather cooperates (from about March-Nov), I run outside (on asphalt/concrete), and when it doesn't, I hit the treadmill. Yesterday morning, I started having trouble going up and down stairs, and ever since this afternoon, I've been limping because of this sharp pain just below the kneecap! I'm fairly certain it's runner's knee (google 'Chondromalacia') because I've been warned about it before by my doctor.

I have an appointment to see a sports medicine doc next week, but I fear I already know what he's going to say: no running for 4-6 weeks! :fit: Are there any other runners out there who can commiserate with me? What do you do to keep the knee from being so painful? How long did it take you (and what did you have to do) to recuperate?

Missy_Mouses_Dad
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Ice is your friend. Eventually I had to cut back to running every other day and then to solely biking. I miss the running, but biking has started to fill the void. My doctor's advise, he is a marathon runner, was to take everything in moderation and know when to stop. Good luck. :mickey:

disneymom15
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I feel your pain. I'm a runner also, usually 3 times a week 6 to 8 miles on a tread mill. Right now I'm suffering with an injured hamstring (I think). It's real high up on the back of my leg going into my rear end. Its been 2 weeks and still painful. Hope you feel better soon.

murphy1
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I had to stop running after I tuned 41 (now 43). I started running at 13. I'm in the South, so it's easier to get out due to weather. My legs just walk now, and I try to do more types of excercise like yoga and golf that are easier on the joints. Good luck on your knee, I can tell you it gets a little rough as you get older and after you have a fe kids.

MNNHFLTX
03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I have chronic tendonitis in one knee, so I can commiserate with your pain. :( My brother (who is in his 50's) is a runner and has had knee issues for years. It doesn't help that he is compulsive about his running, so when the doctor tells him to stop running for a while (like after he had knee surgery), it drives my brother crazy. But unfortunately, rest is the only treatment that ultimately helps calm things down. I keep telling him that he can run less now and be able to walk more later in life, or he can run more now and be able to walk less later in life.

Good luck and hope your knee feels better soon.

crazypoohbear
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I am NOT a runner,
I have had bilateral Chrondomalacia since I was 13 years old.
I have worn braces on my knees when they get really bad,
taken ibuprophin, ice keeping legs elevated.
I was told not to ride a bike because that motion was bad for my knees, I was told that swimming was the best exercise.
Some days I could not walk when I was younger,
Every doctor I have seen over the years has said there is no cure, there is no other treatment and to "learn to live with it"
Swimming killed my knees, riding bikes did not hurt them at all. go figure!
My suggestion is do what feels good to you.
Take OTC advil/motrin for the swelling and "learn to live with it" :(

RalsFam
05-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Sorry for the thread resurrection.Having bad knees from the Army, I was diagnosed with runners knee. I started reading about the biomechanics of running. I have tried all sorts of braces and shoes. Waste of money. After a bunch of really, really dry reading, I shortened my stride, tried tilting my pelvis and began to run. I now hit with the middle of my foot, then roll out. I have been running more lately than I ever have and I am enjoying it!!! Some of the people I know are using vibrams five finger shoes. Try reading, Born to run http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303

It explores the barefoot running craze and makes some good points. Hope this helps.