PDA

View Full Version : How to take a scooter on the DME

crazeedizneefinatic
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
For this trip this coming September my dad is coming along for the first time in years. He always avoided going since he could not do the walking and was too stubborn to rent a scooter. Well my husband and I purchased him a scooter a few months ago and his whole outlook changed. He now goes places. I am just concerned about taking the DME from the airport to the resort. I have never witnessed anyone with a scooter on the bus. He is able to walk short distances so getting him on the bus will be no problem but what will they do with his scooter? I am assuming they will put it with the luggage? The seat does come off and the handlebar folds down. Can anyone with scooter experience explain. Thanks so much!

peemagg
03-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Don't worry at all! I have a scooter that I travel with too and when it comes to DME all they do is put the tiller and seat down and load it up under the bus. If you are not comfortable with that there are also buses that have a lift that he and his scooter can ride up on and be inside the bus.

I haven't had an issue once with traveling with my scooter. They also put it into a bay that they don't put much if any luggage into so that your scooter doesn't get damaged. You need to put the scooter into freewheel to get in under the bus, just be sure they engage the drive system again once it is under there so that it doesn't roll around during travel.