PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Disney and rollators

JoDisney
03-16-2010, 12:30 PM
What if you do not need a wheelchair, but need exercise because of balance with the help of a rollator? First does Disney World allow walking rollators? What rollator do you recommend for parks at Disney World, if they are allowed? Should one get a rollator with the larger 8" wheels? How do you secure the rollator while you are on some of the rides you can manage or do you take it with you and fold it up? There is a fear someone would walk away with the rollator, do they have ones you can lock? The rollator may have to come along to stand in line, as it might be necessary if line is long. Thanks for the answers.

Disney4us2
03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
I use a rollator at Disneyland all the time. I never had a problem leaving it at any of the attractions. Most areas (at DL) have an area to park the ECV/Rollators/walkers where the CM can see it. When I ride HM I take it down with me and they slow the treadmill entry and then bring it back to me when we are done. It is really like parking a stroller. Take your valuables with you. You can get a bicycle type lock if you are worried.

I also use my rollator outside of DL. That way I can sit when I need to.

I got mine at Walmart for around $100.00. It is made by HUGO. The wheels are large and I find it very stable. I like the storage under the seat, and the seat is slightly padded. Mine is a shiny sapphire blue. I also have a rain cover for it that I got at ToysRUS. It is a double wide stroller cover, and it worked great the time I used it. The back bar also comes in handy, I unlatch it to slip on my back pack and then latch it up. The back pack is secure and won't fall off.

Hope this helps a bit. :mickey:

Disney4us2
03-16-2010, 01:17 PM
OOPS... I missed something:blush:

I take my rollator in line with me on all the attractions, as well as when we go to the CS to eat. The seat is great for carrying the food trays. There is no way I could stand in any line without the rollator.

As for folding, mine does not fold in. The wheels just come together to make it flatter.

PM me if you want any pictures of mine:mickey:

Dznygrl79
03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
I use mine at Disneyworld, I am a bit on the short side so I got a nova petite, I got mone though 1800Wheelchairs.com I added a few things (seat cover, zip bag, cup holder)so it was just shy of $200. I have to use mine for balance at all times and have taken it on the rides I can ride on (if you have questions about a specific just message me), but have not tried it on all of them. Depending on the CM I sometimes end up using the wheelchair access.
I love my rollator, I would be in serious trouble without it!!!
I travel alone and have never had a problem just make sure you know how to collapse it if you are taking Disney Transit.
Also an extra large poncho for the FL rain is advisable, if you can choose your wheels go with 8" but you can get by with standard.

JoDisney
03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Marci, Thank you for the advise. I heard Disney World may not allow rollators. I definitely do not want a wheel chair as I need to walk, but I need the assistance of a walker until I get more independent. I hope Disney World is the same Disneyland as in Calif. about rollators. I'll check out the Walmart site. Thank you, again.

Disney4us2
03-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. It is really just a walker with wheels and has no mechanical power.

Dznygrl79
03-16-2010, 02:11 PM
They allow it, I have used mine for a while. Hope you have a good trip

JoDisney
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I have to get one that folds easily. They have to fold on the bus. I know the drivers get impatient with parents that have not folded their strollers and they make them fold them before boarding the bus. I am checking amazon.com since Marci says the Hugo did not fold. Anyone that has a good rollator chime in. I am 5ft. 7", so I am not petite. Thanks.

Disney4us2
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I have to get one that folds easily. They have to fold on the bus. I know the drivers get impatient with parents that have not folded their strollers and they make them fold them before boarding the bus. I am checking amazon.com since Marci says the Hugo did not fold. Anyone that has a good rollator chime in. I am 5ft. 7", so I am not petite. Thanks.

It doesn't fold per se. like both sides folding in. It does collapse when you pull the strap up and the 4 wheels come together to make it flatter.

Dznygrl79
03-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Mine also does not fold all the way...just enough to be tucked out of the aisle. As far as brands most are safe Medline and Nova Jump to mind. But I did see a HUGO in my walmart last night it is similar to mine except height and handles. And I have taken puffy paint to mine and doodled Mickey heads...but thats just the Disney fanatic in me. :mickey3: