PDA

View Full Version : POR or POFQ?

DisneyFr33k
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Ok, from my poll below, over 60% of you prefer POR or POFQ if you are staying at a moderate.

I couldn't tell why each of these were so popular - except I kept seeing "peaceful" and "quiet".

What are the pros/cons for each?

We've always stayed at the values and we want to try a moderate this time. We're a family of 4 with DD (13) anbd DS (11).

Thanks so much for helping us decide!

Stickey
03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Both POR and POFQ have good theming and well-maintained grounds. CBR resort appears to be larger with buildings less centrally located. CSR also appears to be a sprawling resort and it is more geared to convention guests.

POFQ Pros:

1) The most compact WDW resort. Short walks to the food court and the bus stop.
2) Boat service to DTD.
3) Beignets.
4) Good theming
5) Typically first on and off when sharing busses with POR.
6) Walk along the river to POR.

POFQ Cons:

1) Often shares busses with POR
2) No TS restaurant

POR Pros:

1) Theming and grounds
2) Boat service to DTD
3) Walking path to POFQ
4) Two types of buildings- mansions and alligator bayou

POR Cons:

1) Multiple bus stops within POR
2) Often shares busses with POFQ
3) Some AB buildings are far from the food court

Mousemates
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Have stayed at both and preferred POFQ...we stayed at POR just this past Christmas and while we enjoyed the room, we foudn the resort layout somewhat confusing in the Alligator Bayou section (there really was not a good (i.e. direct) way to go from our room to the parking lot.

No real complaints beyond that and what was some less than optimal bus service (but i wouldn't necessarily put a lot of weight in that since bus service can be hit or miss on any given day at just about any resort.)

I suppose we just liked the POFQ theming a bit more and enjoyed the rather compact layout of the resort.

forever a child
03-16-2010, 01:54 PM
I have stayed at both. I had awful experience at POFQ. We were locked out of our room on 2 occasions during our stay late at night. DD was only 12 and I had to have her wait at door to room ALONE numerous times while I went back and forth to front desk (i must not have had a cell phone on me or they were not answering their phones...dont remember) to find out why no one had arrived to open our door for us (replacement key didnt work either). They neither apologized nor seemed concerned.:mad: I finally pitched such a fit that they did drop one day's charges off our bill. But didnt seem to concerned otherwise.:thedolls: It left a bad taste in my mouth and I do not wish to stay their again!:rant:

On the other hand, we really enjoyed our time at POR and enjoyed the service as well as the beautiful decor. Can't wait to go back!:cloud9:

DisneyFr33k
03-16-2010, 02:06 PM
So outside of some bad people experiences, the main differences is that POFQ is smaller with no table service restaurants?

Does POR have a table service restaurant?

What are the differences in the pools? I saw online that POFQ has the big lizard shaped slide. My 11 and 13 year old would LOVE that.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-16-2010, 02:20 PM
My signature says it all! It's our WDW home :cloud9:

But stop letting people know ~ it's okay if they stay at other resorts!! :D

Ms. Mode
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
POR has Boatwrights. I've read several very good reviews on it. :)

KatrinaJ91
03-16-2010, 08:15 PM
We prefer POR for a few reasons although we enjoyed POFQ as well. POR does have a TS...Boatwrights, which is very good! The food court was amazing as well....so much to choose from. We preferred the theming at POR vs POFQ. The food court is a wonderful large cabin-type atmosphere with a huge working water wheel right outside. The food court at POFQ (while the food was good) was very over the top Mardi Gras. We thought the overall theming there was verging on tacky. The pools at both resort are nice although Riverside has more to choose from....there is the main pool at the Island which was alot of fun and then there were smaller, quieter pools. The docks at POR were much nicer and there was more to do there. The kids will LOVE Bob Jackson at POR in the evening (and so will you!) He is a wonderful entertainer in the small lounge off the lobby....so much fun! Don't forget, you can always walk back and forth between the resorts so no matter which you choose, you can enjoy them both! :D
People say they prefer POFQ because it is smaller....that's one of the reasons we don't like it. It feels more like a hotel instead of a resort. POR is more spread out, but you don't feel like you are on top of other people!

HoosierDisneyFan
03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
We prefer POFQ because of the transportation issues (compared to POR) since we spend most of the time in the parks & DTD. Very easy walk back to your room from the bus stop at POFQ after a long day!

That said if we were spending signficant time at the resort, POR may be our choice because it has bigger pool, bigger hot tub, bigger food court, bigger store, bigger arcade, TS resturant, marina, fishing, etc.

I stayed at both and enjoyed both but since we spend all our time in the parks POFQ is best for us.

GrmGrninGost
03-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I have to say POR is my favorite moderate! :mickey:

magicdestinations
03-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I think that both resorts are wonderful. The difference for me? POR has piano Bob! Its one of Disneys best kept secrets. He performs at the lounge and is just a great end of the day experience. His show is family oriented and has the ol' Disney charm. As does the resort. So much of the magic is being lost thru out Disneyworld. This is one place much of it still exsist. The grounds are fantastic,romantic and I wouldnt think of staying anywhere else (as far as a moderate resort is concerned).

You simply can go wrong with either resort but for me Riverside has a ambiance to it.