PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Dad's Adventure Day 7

BigRedDad
03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
March 12 (I got the dates mixed up on the other posts)

RAIN Day

It was raining all day on Friday. It was heavier in the morning and let up later in the day. Wind gusts up to 50 mph would not keep things warm. We decide to relax at AKL and give DD a break. There are lots of things planned at AKL, something we would not have been able to do at CSR.

We get the daily schedule for the bead activities and other activities. DD gets her second bead doing a water conservation class with a CM. Shortly after, they have ceramics for the kids at Simba's Cubhouse. We do her third bead activity which was searching for Donald at Arusha Rock. They did it inside due to the rain. It was very neat. There were 3 kids my DD's age (around 4) and 2 boys around 8. The two boys hid Donald so the 3 younger ones could use the locator to find him. The 3 younger kids hid Donald in a very hard place and the 2 boys took about 5 minutes to find him. It was a very fun activity for them.

We have a small bite for lunch and take DD back to the room for a nap. The rain is still dumping, but letting up a little. Grandma and DD take a nap. I check wait times online and decide to head to DHS for 2-3 hours. We hit RnRCC almost as a walk on, wait 15 minutes for ToT, wait 20 minutes for RnRCC, then do ToT one last times. The last ride on ToT was painful. I should have listened to my gut to wait for the next ride. I was seated next to an elderly couple that had no clue about ToT. The guy was a hard working, manual labor black man all his life. You could tell by looking at him. The first drop, he put a death grip on my leg that I could not pry off. I truly thought he and his wife were going to have a heart attack. My right leg still has bruises from his grip. I had to sit down for a bit right outside the ride because my leg hurt. I can take pain but this guys grip was almost like lockjaw. I felt it for the rest of our trip.

Lines were getting much longer because the rain is sort of breaking but the winds are now gusting. We head back because DD is about to wake. We get back to AKL and DD wants to get more beads. We go to the 4th bead activity which is animal spotting at the different Savannas. Since it was raining, they had a search for the different plant types around the pool area under the cover. DD enjoyed it and had to determine which animals would be found on or eating the different plants. We did not help her other than writing the animal names. I would have had her write the names, but there was not enough space for her writing ability.

We grab a bite for dinner at Mara. We look at a few animals around Arusha Rock while we wait for her 5th and final bead activity. Unfortunately, we stop by the 1st activity she did which was African instruments at Sunset Lounge. She enjoyed it more this time because she was less tired and she knew she'd get a bead anyway. After this, her final activity was starting. It was Wild Life Games. They learned about a few different African animals and played a game. She got her 5th bead and the special totem once you have all 5. She was so excited.

We decide to go to Ziwadi Traders to shop a little, some pin trading, back to Mara for the pressed coins, and rent a movie. DD was asleep by 8:30PM. DW went to watch the ACC basketball tourney, grandma fell asleep, and I had a cocktail before crashing.

It was a great relaxing day. DD had a great day. The only bad part was the death grip on my leg.

BigRedDad
03-16-2010, 08:12 AM
This is another observation. The CMs at the activities, around the different Savannas, and walking about were extremely friendly. I think I found CMs at AKL much more friendly than CSR. They were all approachable, enjoyable to interact with, listening to their different accents, and just very personable.

The young ladies from South Africa with their British-like accents were friendly. All I know is if I were single, not tied down, and in my early 20s, I think I would take a trip to South Africa. These young ladies were very attractive and fun. I keep telling my nephew he should go there for the World Cup.

mouseketeer mom
03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
OH NO!! The death vice grip on your leg on the TOT made me chuckle, I'm sorry, I can only imagine it!!!!
Agreed about the CM's at AKL. Very knowledgable, friendly and approachable. And really proud of their country.

faline
03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
It's funny how Tower of Terror gets folks to literally latch on to people they don't know!

Nice, relaxed way to spend a rainy Disney day!

KylesMom
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
All I could think of was that the guy who latched onto your leg on ToT would come off saying, "never ever ever never" again. :D In all seriousness, sometimes we forget how intense that ride can be for newbies!

I'm glad that DD was able to do a bunch of fun things at AKL today while the rain came down. Another good day! :mickey:

Mousefever
03-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I'm glad your daughter had such a great time with the activities at AKL. We stayed there in 2007 and we appreciated being able to stay at the resort and still have a lot to do. The ability to check ride wait times online is very handy.

Amy

yjgirl32
03-18-2010, 09:30 AM
The death grip- I did the same thing the first time I went on this ride- thankfull it was with my DH and I loved he ride- think I was a bit nervous for our ds3 at the time- he was sitting in between my dh and friend. Thanks for sharing your very relaxing day with us.

DisneyorBust
03-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Glad to read that you made a new 'friend' on ToT! Hope that you and your daughter are feeling better.

pdrlkr
03-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
03-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the report.