PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Dad's Adventure Day 6

BigRedDad
03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
March 10 (Rain Day #1)

Up early to watch the weather because it was hit or miss whether it would get to Disney World. Well, no issue there because it started drizzling as we get there at about 7:40AM. We have ADR's at Tusker House at 8AM. It is a great breakfast as usual. Character interaction was pretty good but we felt a little hurried. No big deal. We get on KS at about 9:10. The animals are mostly hiding but some are out. I think I got a few good pictures. It was uneventful with a light drizzle.

We get off and the Gods let loose and the rain dumps. It only lasts a few minutes and we were in Dawa Bar avoiding it. We head for FPs at EE. We walk on KRR and DD does not want to go. DW and I are in a boat to our selves. We barely get wet. DD wants to go now that she saw mommy and daddy go. This time we get soaked. DD had a rain poncho on and got a little wet. As the other big rides, she is "never ever ever never" going on it. We walk the Maharaja Jungle Trek. DD really liked it. Light drizzle is off and on. DW and I ride EE 3 times in a row with almost no wait. DD falls asleep for a short nap in the stroller.

DD wakes up in about 30 minutes. She wants to do pin trading and pressed pennies. We mosey around and do that for a while. We ride Triceratops Spin. As DD and I exit a very "nice" man let the exit gate slam shut. The steel cap nut hits my DD square in the forehead dead center. Immediately a nice black and blue goose blows up. We ice it down, a CM got us ice. Goofy and Pluto just came out and he took her up front to help her stop crying. She gets over the pain in short time. Her bangs are big enough to hide it, but it is there.

We take her to finally get her hair wrapped. Grandma, DW, and DD do some more pin trading and I split off to Rafiki's for some of the pressed coins. I was meeting them at the exit of the Nemo show. It starts to pour again for a few minutes so I have a cocktail at the Yak and Yeti. Stuart was the bartender there and we chatted a bit. I get to Nemo and wait for them. Thunder and lightening all over. We decide to head back to AKL before it dumps. It starts up as we get near the exit so we head into Rain Forest Cafe. We get the pressed coins there and a few little things.

Off to AKL and we get back just before the torrential rain start for the next 24 hours. It was a constant rain all the time with times of huge down pours. AKL had enough children activities that kept DD occupied and gave her a much needed day off. She earned all 5 beads and got her special bead over the next two days of rain.

DW and I split off for our dinner at Boma. We ate there on our honeymoon shortly after AKL opened. It was incredible back then, especially because the comped the dinner for us. This time, it was mediocre at best. Definitely not worth $31. They had some sort of steak loin that smelled great. However, the seasoning was on the outer edge of some of the toughest fat. I could not cut through it. I ended up sucking on the seasoning then biting the steak. It was OK, but I have had better at Golden Corral. That tells you how mediocre the food is at WDW.

Still, it was a great day. It would have been perfect except the knot on my DD's forehead.

P.S. This was the only trip out of my last three that I did not have an issue with ECVers. I did have a run in with one, but it was unavoidable. A little girl cut in front of the lady and she swirved into me. I do still believe being fat is no excuse for an ECV.

Issue #4 People getting wheelchairs to get to the front of lines. I saw parents getting their kids wheelchairs to avoid renting strollers. Once they have the wheelchair, they argue their way to the front of lines. I wish WDW had a better policy on this and require a doctor's prescription for one. I also do not believe they should go to the front of lines. They should have one person wait in line and when they get to the front, the people join them.

faline
03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh goodness! Another mishap! So sorry for the forehead boo-boo!

You certainly made the best of a rainy day!

I do have to differ with you on the use of wheelchairs. I can think of many legitimate reasons to use ECV's and chairs - even for folks who do not normally use one in their everyday lives. For example, my sister-in-law has arthritis. She gets around mostly in her every day life but is unable to handle the longer distances and stamina required for a Disney vacation so rents an ECV. Two years ago, I had surgery on both feet (six months apart). I was non-weight bearing after one operation for a number of weeks. While I have now recovered, the surgeries left me unsure as to whether I'd have the stamina to withstand all the walking required for a Disney vacation within a few months of the second surgery. I seriously considered renting an ECV but decided I'd try it without. By taking things slow and retreating to our resort when I tired, I ended up not doing the rental; however, I'm glad it would still have been an option for me had I felt I could not do it on my own two feet for that trip.

BigRedDad
03-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I agree some people need wheelchairs and there are many legitimate reasons. However, getting a wheelchair to push around your kids instead of renting a stroller is ridiculous. I witnessed this on multiple occasions. People are abusing free wheelchairs instead of renting strollers or making their children walk.

retiredfigment
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
When my DH took the kids many years ago, he had a wheelchair. He looked healthy enough to not need one and we got many dirty looks. What people did not know was that he had a brain tumor and had a very hard time walking. I learned to always be careful about judging.

Pirate Granny
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
In Disneyland Paris, you had to go to the Town Hall and they either had to see a note from a doctor or you needed to be able to provide proof to RECEIVE a pass...this pass allowed you to use the handicapped entrance...there were also times where CM would give the person who got to the line ahead of you a card and you were told to stand to the side and when that person go onto the ride, you were allowed to come up and get next in line to get on the ride. A much better system.
:pirate:

Briansmom
03-15-2010, 10:00 PM
People are abusing free wheelchairs instead of renting strollers or making their children walk.
Wheelchairs are not free...trust me. We have to rent one for our DS who has autism. I believe it cost us $55 for the week when we were there in 2009. Our son also 'looks' healthy but there is no way he could handle a day in the parks...trust me...we tried the first time we took him and he got galded. I felt like the worst mom. Believe you me...he had a wheelchair the rest of the trip.
I understand what you are saying tho....people who abuse the system for their own gain make it harder on the legitimate folks. They should be thankful that their life is so that they don't REALLY need a wheelchair and that they don't need a GAC as well.

BigRedDad
03-16-2010, 06:04 AM
I want to be clear. The people I saw with them are abusing it. There kids are running around like terrors, they act like they do not speak English, they fight with CMs to go straight to the front of lines, and they laugh once they get their way. Then, the kids jump around and act crazy afterwords.

The ones I noticed are abusing it.

mouseketeer mom
03-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Oh no! Now your DD has a forehead injury!! Poor little thing. She sounds like such a good sport through these long days.

KylesMom
03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I have never understood the hard-swinging metal gates at Disney World at the various attractions and boat docks. This was a problem with DS when he was younger. We got in the habit of DH walking first, then DS, then myself so that we could protect him from those darn things that people would just let go of. I'm so sorry that DD has another ouch! :(

Disneyfirsttimer
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I do agree that obesity in the country causes many to use the ECVs. It most likely does mean they need it as they cannot withstand all of the walking. It does not mean they should not be able to enjoy Disney, but they should not get special treatment either. Not clear why wheelchairs or ECVs allow a person to get to the front of the line as anyone can rent one so it is difficult to someone to know who really needs it. That is a shame.

yjgirl32
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I like Disney Paris's idea. I agree there are some people who really really need the wheelchair- my father-in-law needed one on our last trip- he has Parkinson's and thought he would be ok but found out quickly how much walking is really involved. Some rides he walked thru the line others he stayed in his wheelchair- but we didn't use his disability to get to the front of the lines- some of us went with him while others stood in line and he met up with us. ALso did not use it for the buses. I really feel there are a few lazy people who abuse the wheelchairs and make it harder for people who really need them.

Suz36
03-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Can you explain the beads at AKL? We'll be staying there in May, and I'm wondering if it's something my kids would be interested in. Thanks for sharing your trip! I'm enjoying reading about it!

BigRedDad
03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
AKL has a bunch of activities scheduled at the resorts for many to enjoy. They have a sheet with the daily activities. It should be in your welcome package. On this sheet (at least for when we were there), there is a circular coil which indicates bead activities. There is a legend at the bottom of the sheet to help.

Bead Activities:
1. All activities are to educate children about conservation, pollutions, and environmental awareness.
2. If you complete all 5, you get a special 6th bead
3. I would say it is enjoyable from 4 to maybe 10 years old.
4. You have to plan your days around the activities. They all take place at different times and some are in the morning and mid-afternoon. It could cut into park time. For my DD it was worth it.
5. Our activities were a little different due to weather. Here they are from my memory (all in Jambo House):

Music of Africa: In the Sunset Lounge just past Registration on the left. Each participant gets an instrument that represents a circle: Animals, Plants, and Rain. The CMs explain why each are critical to the Circle of Life

Find Donald: Teams take turns hiding Donald and finding Donald. They use a radio transmitter to help find him. This is done at Arusha Rock. We did just inside because of rain.

Pollution: Not sure of the name, but the children interact with a CM on why it is essential to keep trash out of the water, how it affects animals.

Find the animals: This takes place at Flamingo Pond behind the pool and bar. The kids get a sheet and need to find each animal. Not all are at Flamingo Pond, so you may need to explore other areas of the resort. We had to look for plants that were all under the covers near the pool.

Animal Quiz: This is in Sunset Lounge. The CM tells about different types of African animals. All of which are at the resort or Animal Kingdom. Kids play a game by trying to guess and animal they chose by asking questions to the other kids.

pdrlkr
03-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
03-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the report.