PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana during Wishes?

svarhall07
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
My reservation is at 9:40pm at 'Ohana and Wishes starts at 10pm. Does the restaurant face the Magic Kingdom at all? Even if we had to get up, would it be possible to watch Wishes from the restaurant?

SBETigg
03-15-2010, 03:45 PM
It's possible to get a glimpse of Wishes from tables further back, and to watch Wishes from a window seat. There is not a viewing area (I believe). My impression is that If you don't get a window table, you're out of luck. It's not a good idea to plan to watch Wishes from 'Ohana, but it's always nice if it happens.

Sometimes, people send their kids to watch at the windows, but this blocks the view of patrons who did get a window seat and it's rude to those diners, in my opinion. If watching Wishes is the goal, plan your meal for an earlier or later time and watch from the beach. But if having a fun meal at 'Ohana is the goal and Wishes viewing is a happy possible extra, you're all set.

LudwigVonDrake
03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't know if they still do it but they used to dim the lights in the restaurant and pump the soundtrack into the 'Ohana. Do they still do that?

Carolanne
03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't know if they still do it but they used to dim the lights in the restaurant and pump the soundtrack into the 'Ohana. Do they still do that?

I was at Ohana's in Sept '09--they did dim the lights & piped in the Wishes music :mickey: We did get to see Wishes from Ohana's...JMO, but while it was nice to see it from Ohana's, it's much better experiencing it in MK. I didn't get the big deal about seeing Wishes from the restaurant. It didn't feel the same as being in MK while it was going on.

svarhall07
03-15-2010, 10:54 PM
well we plan to actually be in Magic Kingdom two nights later to watch Wishes for real, we're just hoping for a little extra magic at 'Ohana that night since we had to get such a late ADR.

the music and light dimming sounds great. thank you!

tpalmer1031
03-17-2010, 07:59 PM
we had 6:30 ADR and saw wishes at 8pm March 1-- The lights were dimmed and music. Our table was next to the window. Daughter loved it--Not as special as being at MK--but still fun.

Fastpasssteve
04-08-2010, 09:55 PM
For me, if I'm going to watch 'Wishes', I want to be front and center by the castle on Main Street. I want to be surrounded by it, and all the people around me experiencing it at the same time.

'Ohana is great fun in the evening, but if you're gonna eat here, experience the evening there...don't split your focus to the fireworks. Be where you are and not where you wish to be.

I would change the time of my reservation. If I couldn't not change the time, I would make sure I had at least one planned viewing of "Wishes" on-site in the Magic Kingdom. They are fabulous. I would hate for your one and only viewing on this trip to be from the distant window of a restaurant. If I was a small child, I wouldn't understand being so far away from something so wonderful for some grilled turkey.

wdwvacationeer
04-09-2010, 07:09 AM
We ate at Ohana's last summer during Wishes. They dimmed the lights and pumped the soundtrack in. We were not sitting near the windows. However, everyone around us kind of turned their chairs to face the windows. You can definitely see the Castle and some glimpses of the firewords- but that was about it. Nice as an extra Wishes but I would suggest not missing it in person.

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-09-2010, 12:57 PM
If it were up to me, I would get an earlier meal time and be done by 9:45ish. Then I would walk to the beach (where they pipe in the music to Wishes too through the landscape speakers that you can't see) and watch the fireworks from there. We love doing this! Did it 2 times our last trip. We were also at MK 2 times watching them from main street.

My kids were playing in the sand while watching the Electrical Light Parade and about 2 seconds after that ended, Wishes began. It was great!

I think watching Wishes in the restaruant is too distracting trying to eat and watch and listen and drink and hear background silverware noises, people talking, etc.

jonahbear2006
04-10-2010, 02:29 AM
We did this twice. Once we were by the window and once we were in the middle of the room but the restaurant wasnt filled in the middle of the room time, so we were able to move to the window. They still pipe in the music and dim the lights and it is a great time! I would keep the fireworks time, if I were you. We think the best way to watch the fireworks is from gasparilla grill's patio, ohanas, narcoossee's, or at epcot rose and crown. I'd much rather be sitting and eating than standing in the crowd where I have to get out, afterwards.

LudwigVonDrake
04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
You can always witness the fireworks more than once and keep your reservation for fireworks time. Experience it both ways