PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Dad's Adventure Day 5

BigRedDad
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
March 9
Cast: Grandma, DD, DW, and me

Luggage was picked up early and off to AKL. We grab a quick breakfast at Cafe Rix and head on out to DHS. With DW there, there was a lot of pin trading. I had to muster through this the rest of the trip. Grandma and DD go to get FPs for TSMWM. DW and I hit ToT, RnRC, and ToT again. DD gets to watch HSM3 again and loves it. We walk into Ariel's show, then out to Handy Manny and June & Quincy character greetings. Afterwords, we head to the Beauty and the Beast show.

A bite to eat after, more pin trading every 3 steps down Hollywood Blvd. I look for some pressed penny machines and wait up the road a bit. Daisy Day is sitting out and we have a conversation. Eventually, DD shows up and walks up to her and sits on her little towel on the ground. They talk for a few minutes, take pictures, and sign her autograph book. I got the greatest picture. We mosey around a bit, watch a little show up the street that DD loved. Back down the main street, DD meets the Policeman (I don't know his name, but he is quick on his feet as a comedian). She also meets Eve Starlight. I had to delete a picture of her because she came out of the top of her dress more than a lady would like and I don't think she even knew. I just happened to snap at that moment. DD enjoyed interacting with her.

We walk around a little more, find a spot for Block Party Bash, and was guided by a very misguided CM for the best place to watch. We were smack dab staring at the center of one of the vehicles. 20 feet in either direction we would have been in front of the characters dancing and playing. If you want to be in front of the characters, do not sit in front of the busts where the Oscar statue is!!!

DD enjoyed it and it was time to head out to AKL to check in. Check-in was smooth. Resort is as gorgeous as it was on our honeymoon. We have a Savanna view and it was horrible. We got to see a Roan Antelope that hardly moved and dirt. It was on Sunset Savanna. Sunset is right: the only time you see something else is the 10-20 minutes the giraffe feed there. After that, it is the Roan Antelope. Very disappointing. It is a DVC room and it is tiny. It is a gorgeous room, but the queen bed is actually a full bed. They may reclassify it, but it is small. Grandma and DD get the pull out bed. That thing is hard as a rock.

DD and I play at the pool. Grandma and DW have a drink at the pool bar. DD has her first meltdown because she did not get a nap. We eat some dinner, get a movie from Ziwadi Traders, and get DD down for the night. Next morning is early for breakfast with Donald at AK and the rain is moving in...

KylesMom
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Some great memory-makers at DHS today - and DW & yourself were able to enjoy a few things together, too! Bummer that you were smack-dab in the middle of the floats. I've often wondered if they stop at the same place every time? I remember during the 100 Years of Magic celebration that they did at MK - but this was quite a few years back when it first began & they pulled the kids out of the crowd to participate.

Although the resort was as beautiful as you remembered it, another bummer that the view didn't include a whole lot of wildlife. I've read in a few reports now that what you pay for isn't necessarily what you get at AKL with regard to the scenery. However, at the end of the day it was another good one!

Looking forward to your Donald's Breakfast report, as this is something we've yet to experience! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
03-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I swear it sounds like the same experience we had with our savanna view room at AKL. We were on the Kudu trail, were you there as well by any chance?

BigRedDad
03-16-2010, 10:21 AM
We were on Kudu Trail, the first part that juts out into the Savanna and facing Sunset Lounge. These rooms should be Value rooms at best. We were in 5269.

faline
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Seems like the same view we had in December. It was quite disappointing. We had always had our room on the other side of the of the lobby in the past and had many more animals to view in that area! Still, you had a grat day at the Studios!

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the review. If we stay with our Kidani studio rooms this October, I'll feel better knowing that I wont' be missing much in a standard vs. savannah view. I'd rather walk around resort and see the animals.

DisneyorBust
03-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Soundslike a good day at DHS, thanks for taking us along.

yjgirl32
03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
another enjoyable report. Thanks for sharing- sorry your view stinks.

vizsla
03-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: