PDA

View Full Version : Which resort for my family??

jaredkari
03-14-2010, 10:48 PM
My wife and I have been to WDW many times and would like to plan a trip with my Mom, Brother and his wife and their 3 year old daughter who have never been.

My Mom has some "problems" getting around sometimes. Steps, long distances, etc... She is not in need of a motorized cart but I know that we are definately going to have to go at a much slower pace with her.

My brother and his wife should be fine but of course we have never gone with a 3 year old.

I was thinking Port Orleans French Quarter because of the moderate resorts, it is the most consolidated and plus has a nicely themed pool that I think our niece would enjoy it.

What might you suggest?? We are shooting for a moderate but our options are open. :mickey:

JPL
03-14-2010, 10:51 PM
If you could swing the price I would recommend a Monorail resort since with a 3 year old you will probably be spending the majority of you time at the MK.

Ms. Mode
03-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I understand that POR has elevators inside the Mansions....:mickey:

azcavalier
03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Honestly, I don't think that the pool should be a consideration with the 3yr old....as far as the theming is concerned. She's not old enough to really care about what the theming is. She will just want a pool to splash around in. And since every single resort has a pool, you'll be fine wherever you choose.

POFQ is pretty small, so your other reasons are spot on, I think. It would be a great choice.

c&d
03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
We also enjoyed POR in the AB section and found that we were close to the food court and bus stop.

You might also consider CSR. You can request the Casitas section which is close to the food court and bus stop. Their bus stops at the parks are usually very close to the park entrance.

#1donaldfan
03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
...I'd say either one, Riverside or FQ would do you very well....with Riverside, I'd make sure to request building 14 or 18 as they are the closest to the food and busses.....have you thought of the cabins ????:confused:

andreallybadeggs
03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
POFQ was my first thought as well...think you are on the right track. Have a great time-- being forced to slow down can be a good thing.:mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Honestly, I don't think that the pool should be a consideration with the 3yr old....as far as the theming is concerned. She's not old enough to really care about what the theming is. She will just want a pool to splash around in.

Totally agree! Especially at 3, she might just want the sprinkler, squirt play areas that you can find at any resort.

I also agree that if you can afford it, a monorail resort is a great convenience for your mom and neice. What comes to mind is Contemporary where the monorail is in the lobby (almost dropped off at your front door!) and not much ground to cover when compared to some of the other resorts. Plus, its definitely easier if your niece (or mom for that matter) needs a nap in the middle of the day. If your niece is anything like my 2 DD's, you'll be in MK on a mad princess and character hunt.

:thumbsup: good luck with your decision... its so fun going with 1st timers.

bouncer
03-15-2010, 09:01 PM
I agree about a monorail resort. We really enjoy the ease of going back to the room from MK to catch a nap. After we are refreshed we grab a bite to eat & head back to the parks. The Poly pool is zero entry-your niece will be able to walk into the water to her comfort level. If she is nervous about water (like my DS) she will LOVE the Poly pool. If you can swing the monorail resorts you will find the convience invaluable.

Rick McCord
03-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I believe they have "friendly" cabins in Fort Wilderness. If you request one located near a bus stop the travel won't be bad. They do have golf carts you can rent - I never had the need - but I really enjoy the peace and quiet. Don't need to worry about children in the halls or being too loud. There are pools on many loops - with laundry services (swim while doing laundry). It is our favorite place to stay!:number1:

Mousemates
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
One option for you might be a wing room at the contemporary....which are the lowest priced monorail resort rooms on the property...a bit of a walk to the monorail concourse, but at WDW you will have a bit of a walk most anyplace you stay or go.

mjm12000
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I would say if mobility and or slow moving is an issue and you would get annoyed by long walks I would try to go with a monorail or maybe one of the Epcot resorts like Beach/Yacht Club or Boardwalk.

Someone mentioned the CSR and trust me I love this resort if I was not now a DVC member at BLT I would go back to CSR on every trip but it is huge and requires substantial walking to get around even when staying in the Casitas section which is too bad because I personally think it is one of the most beautiful moderate resorts.

If you are looking for a moderate then I would agree with some of the others and go with the POFQ or POR.

littleedie
03-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I would go for POFQ. At POR, you can end up -very- far away from a bus stop, from the food court, the pool, etc.

At POFQ, request Building 5 - it is --right-- next to the bus stop, the pool, and the food court. I do think that a 3 year old would actually love the POFQ pool, since it looks like a big dragon - something a very little kid could understand. Also, she would love the alligator statues all around the pool, and the Mardi Gras beads and colored coins for the fountain that get handed out every day. Have a good trip!

jillluvsdisney
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
My mother has limited mobility. She can walk but not for any distance so we always bring her wheelchair to Disney with us.

We have stayed at WL,POLY,POP and POFQ.
By far, the easiest time we've had is POFQ.
The resort is compact, it's never a long distance to walk anywhere and parking is close to the rooms.

megustamex
03-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Just wanted to touch on the mobility issue - we took my mother-in-law last year who was refusing to rent the motorized chairs prior to the trip. She has some knee and foot problems that never seemed to be a major issue in everyday life, but after one day at MK, she was in pretty bad shape. After she saw all the people in the scooters the first day, she woke up and decided that her trip would be far more enjoyable with the scooter. She rented it every day after that and we had so much fun. So just keep in mind that even if it's just a minor mobility issue it might be magnified after a day in the park, and don't be afraid to suggest the scooter as an alternative.

LVT
03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
All Star Family suites for space. Rent or borrow a wheelchair for "just in case" and to carry the child.
People mention walking 8 miles in one day. ow

Fastpasssteve
04-08-2010, 05:20 AM
If you are an annual passholder, you qualify for deep discounts on accommodations in various resorts at various times of the year. You might enjoy staying at the Saratoga Springs resort. It holds appeal for both adults and children (especially the pools...there are going to be two large ones and several small "quiet" pools). Since Sarasota Springs is a Vacation Club resort, there are few Club members who want to "spend" their points during the heat and higher rate of summer (they tend to vacation during off-seasons...wouldn't you?). As a result, this resort tends to be a little slow in the summer, so they give discounts during the summer. Check it out. If you visit Disney regularly, it may be worth the accommodations and dining discounts you receive to become an Annual Passholder. Consider.