PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Advice

HoosierDisneyFan
03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I would consider myself a Disney veteran but I have never stayed at a Deluxe Resort. I will be taking my mother (60+ years old) in early December. I am looking at Deluxe Resorts and want to try to limit the walking distance for her (we will not have a rental car / we will be using Disney Transportation). I was considering staying at the Polynesian Resort to take advantage of the Monorail for MK and walking to TTC for EPCOT monorail (buses to AK, DHS & DTD).

Suggestions on what bulding to request? We would like a balcony as well.

Or should I be considering another Resort?

marutzw
03-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I would definately recommend the Polynesian, it is just wonderful. The monorails provide transport every ten minutes or so and the walking distances are short. The rooms are some of the largest of most of the resorts and noticably larger then Port Orleans. It is our favorite...

wmdaddy
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Having stayed at both, I'd recommend the GF. It's a bit less spread out than the Poly, though neither are bad at all. I love the theme of the Poly, but didn't feel like I was staying in a resort worthy of the price I was paying. At the GF, though the theme doesn't appeal to me as much, I felt like I was getting my money's worth.

The Poly is more convenient since you can walk to the TTC. Technically, you could walk from the GF too, but you'd be tacking on an additional 15 minutes. You also mentioned you wanted a balcony. In 8 of the 11 longhouses, the 2nd floor rooms have no balconies. All bottom floor rooms have patios. At the GF, all the rooms have a balcony or patio.

DebK
03-14-2010, 07:47 PM
At that time of year I think she'd like the GF as well.......

BrerGnat
03-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd go with GF as well. You could potentially have lots of walking at the Poly, depending on your building assignment.

Of course, if you're up for other suggestions, I'd consider the Contemporary Tower. Hardly any walking at all, and a wonderful resort, IMO!

HoosierDisneyFan
03-14-2010, 10:58 PM
If we were staying at Poly, woud the Tokelau longhouse be best? It seems centrally located between the monorail, TTC, the bus stop and the Great Cermonial House.

wmdaddy
03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
If we were staying at Poly, woud the Tokelau longhouse be best? It seems centrally located between the monorail, TTC, the bus stop and the Great Cermonial House.

That's where we stayed. It was our request and we got it. Tokelau (along with Tahiti and Rapa Nui) rooms all have balconies or patios, and are slightly larger than rooms in the other longhouses (476 sq ft to 415 sq ft.)

pamickeys
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Contemporary tower is the least amount. walking from your room to an elevator is about all of the walking you do. Poly is deceiving on how far everything is, because of the plants and the curvy walkways. trust me, I am the designated coffee getter in the mornings, so I have walked quite a few resorts.

scootch713
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
A tower room at the Contemporary is the least walking. They have an elevator and escalator to the monorail. They are huge, nice rooms too.

andreallybadeggs
03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Any of the 3 monorail resorts would be great but
GF main building or Contemp tower would be least walking, I think. You can take the resort monorail to the TTC from any of the 3 monorail deluxes but if you stay at the Contemp it will be a little faster to the TTC since that is the next stop on the resort monorail loop:
Contemp
TTC
Poly
GR Magic Kingdom and then back to
Contemp
Of course when you return, assuming you switch from the TTC to resort monorail the Contemp will be the last stop but, if you are like us, we're always more in a hurry going than returning so the Contemp would be my choice if ONLY basing it on transportation.
All 3 resorts also have boat and bus transportation as well.

antnyh
03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Just a question, but with all the required walking in the parks is the walk to the monorail your main concern? I would have to agree with the other posts. CR is the shortest walk if you stay in the tower. You can actually walk to MK from there and it really isn't that far. At the Poly there isn't that much more walking required, but you will have to walk outdoors to get to either the monorail or buses. I have never stayed at the GF. I would avoid the Wilderness Lodge since you'd have to board a boat or bus to go anywhere. Just my :twocents:

bouncer
03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
My 2007 & upcoming trip has my MIL and my Mom both who are 60ish :secret:and have back issues. Neither of them in the past have said that the walk from Hawaii is too far to the TTC. When going to MK the walk to the boat or monorail is very pleasant and not long at all. They both love the Poly location and are able to look past any kind of walk to transportation. One thing in your favor is if you are walking to the TTC to get to Epcot is that at least you have about a 20 minute rest before you have to get back at it again. That walk is the longest (other than the rest of the day in the parks) that you'd have which really isn't bad at all. Tikiman has it video timed on his website. Take a look at that if you think it would help make your decision.
We have also stayed at CR in the garden wing and the walk to the monorail was not bad there either. If you are very concerned about the walk then my next choice would be Contemporary tower. Good luck:thumbsup:

gaffz70
03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't know if it will only be the 2 of you or more...if there are more I might not go to the poly...we were looking at the deluxes w/ my Mom and the poly has the sink inside the BR, where the other resorts have the sink/mirror outside the bathroom which made it easier for 5 people to get ready