PDA

View Full Version : Disney card

mom2mickeyfan
03-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know if the cards that are bought in the mall Disney Stores are good for using in Disneyworld park stores and restaurants or for the World of Disney in Downtown Disney? I have found a Disney Store card at a discount but didn't know if there were cards that were only good at Disney Stores located in the mall.

Thanks in advance.

DizneyRox
03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
If it says DisneyStore on it, it's only good at Disney Stores. Just Disney is good at both I believe...

gerald72
03-14-2010, 01:18 PM
I bought some cards at the Disney store for my trip last summer. They claimed they could be used anywhere at wdw.
I found out there were many places that didn't accept them. The resort arcades, most dining places at dtd did not accept them.
And they weren't able to tell me how much was left on them unless I used them. Tried to buy a $7 pin but there was not enough on the card, but they couldn't refund the money either.
I don't recommend buying them.

Mary Chase
03-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I've always liked the idea of pre-paying for the dining at Disney, but don't like the dining plan because the regular dining plan is too much TS for us and don't really think the QS plan is something we'd really like either. So I was thinking about buying a bunch of Disney gift cards to use for dining while at Disney. I have never done this, so I am nervous that we'd buy a lot of gift cards and have a hard time finding places that accept them. Has anyone ever done this? The main places we'd dine are the larger CS places (Cosmic Ray's, Sunshine Seasons, etc.) and some of the TS's we'd do are Chef Mickey and LTT. Has anyone had any experiences doing something like this or experiences with the places I mentioned in particular. I can't see there being a problem doing this - but I don't want to be stuck with gift cards I can't use. Thanks! :mickey:

mom2mickeyfan
03-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Mary, we use the Disney cards that I purchased online at most of those places and didn't have any problems. I think some of the problems with some of the dining places at DTD is that they aren't owned by Disney. If it isn't owned and run by Disney then they aren't going to take a Disney card even if they are in DTD...like Planet Hollywood and T-Rex. You may also have some problems at some of the small kiosks but you would have trouble using any card there. The main ones I am talking about are the ones that only take cash. You can also buy Disney cards that work at WDW at Walgreens. Those you can put on any amount starting at $15 up to $500. The ones you order online are in $25.

We called a mall Disney Store and the lady there said that it would be good anywhere we could swipe a card. Doesn't Disney now own all the mall Disney Stores? I was thinking they use to be owned by another company.

I went ahead and purchased the card. It was a $200 card and I got it for $170 so a good deal if we will be able to use it for some of our dining.

gerald72
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
They used the same line "anywhere you can swipe a card" for me.
The resort arcades are owned by Disney, accept credit cards, but still wouldn't accept the gift cards.

KylesMom
03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Both the $25 gift card I received for taking a Disney survey on property (completed a "diary") and the gift cards that my mom bought DS & DH for their birthdays this year from TDS have the exact same "Disney Gift Card" logo & verbiage on the back of them.

"You may use this gift card at select participating locations at Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Disney Store locations in the US and DisneyStore.com. For balance inquiry, participating locations, and additional terms and conditions (including changes) for this gift card, visit DisneyGiftCard.com or call 1-877-650-4327."

We've never had a problem utilizing our gift cards (use at least one per trip), but we ensure that we use them at places such as World of Disney or our resort gift shop. On a side note, I sure miss the Disney Dollars!

Although I'm not certain, I believe you can put the gift cards down towards credit purchases on your room key - this may work better for you, Mary, than trying to keep a running total on what you have remaining on your gift cards.

nqi2
03-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Is it possible that you can load the gift card that you bought with more money on it. And then put that down for your KTTW card and just charge all your meals to you KTTW. That way you only have to deal with one card and then just pay off your charge amount at the end of your stay with you gift card.:cool:

I think i've mentioned other people say that this can work. I haven't tried it but if someone has please chime in because I'm interested also.

Edited: Someone beat me to this idea....but would still like to know if this is verified that it works this way.

Fangorn
03-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure you can reload/add to a Disney Gift Card, but that it can only be done at a Disney Store or at one of the stores at the resorts. Meaning, you can't reload it over the phone or via the internet by charging it to a credit/debit card (ala, a Starbuck's card). I'd love to be wrong on this one.

Steve