PDA

View Full Version : Best Hotel and Beach area?

Mommyto4princesses
03-13-2010, 12:04 PM
We are going to arrive a day early and enjoy the beach before heading into DW. What is the best location to take 4 girls, ages 4-12, that is close to the park. Once we get there, we won't want to do a lot more driving, but I don't want to hit the closest spot and it be a poor choice. Any thoughts? I like Fairfield Inns, is there one close to a nice beach area? Or any other ideas?
THANKS! We leave THURS!

pokci
03-13-2010, 06:10 PM
If you're driving in, I would suggest hitting the Gulf Coast at Clearwater. It's about 90 minutes aaway, give or take a few, and the Gulf is a far better beach location than the Atlantic. Closest to WDW on the Atlantic side would be Cocoa Beach but truly, I would find a Fairfield around Clearwater or near the quaint town of Dunedin and spend a day on the gulf. To get to WDW from the Gulf it's a straight shot East on I-4.

Briansmom
03-13-2010, 10:30 PM
In deciding which coast, just remember that the west coast beaches have no waves (breakers) and the east coast beaches do. Just didn't want you to be surprised when you got there. I grew up going to Cocoa Beach and loved it. But it is also very relaxing to visit the west coast beaches and not have to worry about the breakers knocking your kids over. Also, I think the sand is coarser on the west coast as well...been a while so my memory is not as clear on that point.

I hope you have a blast!

disneyers
03-14-2010, 12:33 AM
**Disclaimer - We have a family condo here, so I'm a little biased.** But we love the Sarasota/ Siesta Key beach area.

It is 2 hours from WDW - south of WDW, so a longer drive, but Siesta Key was ranked the #2 beach in the world by a "costal expert" (I really have no idea what costal expert means - I just know Siesta came in just past a beach in Hawaii. :blush:)

Really, I am from Alabama and grew up going to Gulf Shores/ Destin, but I have never seen sand so white or soft as we have at Siesta Key. I love it. We always stay in our condo of course, so I can't think of any hotels off the top of my head, but I'll look when we go down to the beach tomorrow. (We're here now, going to WDW on Monday! :mickey:)

disneydeb
03-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Siesta Key is my favorite beach too!

Gaz10
03-14-2010, 01:01 PM
I prefer the Gulf coast and the nearest is Clearwater.The Hilton is in great spot ,on the beach and right next to the pier.We stayed at the Sheraton on sand key which was nice.This year we are going to Marco Island which has become our favorite,but its a 3 hour drive.:minnie:

megustamex
03-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I absolutely agree with all the other posters. Gulf Coast beaches are warmer, calmer, and clearer than the Atlantic. There is something I like about being on "the ocean" and seeing the big waves come in, but as far as swimming goes, you cannot beat the beautiful Gulf beaches. You also get great sunsets!