PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney World Monorail Trains to feature "Tron: Legacy" Artwork

WDWfanatic742
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Nope, your eyes are not deceiving you…that’s a light cycle from the Tron universe on our “highway in the sky.” And today, we’re sharing a first look at the attention-grabbing art coming to the Walt Disney World Resort.

The transformed trains will be visible on the Epcot monorail line as early as this month. And if you look close, you’ll notice that the design of the futuristic motorcycle-like vehicles from the upcoming film “Tron: Legacy” also includes walls of trailing colored light.

“Tron: Legacy” is a 3D high-tech adventure set in a digital world that’s unlike anything ever captured on the big screen. The film is scheduled to hit theaters on December 17. But there will be more updates to come before then so keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for the latest.

Full article with pictures HERE (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/disney-monorail-trains-to-feature-tron-legacy-art/)

seanyred
03-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I saw the pictures earlier. I love it!!! I'm a huge Tron fan and a Monorail nut. I'm just sad that they didn't release when I was there last week. But at any rate I think it gives the Monorail a great look.

And yes I admitt that it is an advertisment but I think this way is very tastefull and clever.

Bethanymouse
03-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I think they look terrible. In my opinion, it throws the magic right out the door. It just looks like a huge billboard.

WDWfanatic742
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know if I like these or not. Just reminds me too much of the advertisements on public buses and the ones that are on the trains in Las Vegas.

Then again, it probably is the best wrap that they have put on the trains so far. I like how the article says that they will only be on the Epcot line to keep with the future theme as well.

As long as it doesn't become a HUGE trend and doesn't go on every train, I think I could start to like it. One has to wonder though, will these stay all the way until December when the movie comes out? Seems like a long time to me.

Ms. Mode
03-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I really like the overall look of this...ok...they do have a promo for TRON, but the paint scheme makes the Monorail look fast. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
03-11-2010, 08:12 AM
For the Epcot line, they look good. Although I kindof need to question the decision to use the light cycles on the monorail (which if memory serves me correctly, the object was to make the other cycle crash) shortly after two monorails on the same line crashed killing a cast member. Hmmmm....

Design though is better than Stitch all oer the place IMHO.

lettripp
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I think they look very cool and fit the Epcot theme well :-) We are already excited to ride these in April!!

MinnieMommie
03-12-2010, 07:47 AM
yes big advertisement but very clever. As a big Tron fan I welcome the Tron theme on the Epcot monorail. Can't wait to ride on it! :mickey:

JPL
03-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Not a huge fan of the design at all! I think it takes away from the futuristic look of the trains and makes the look like every other commuter train

Stu29573
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I read all the posts before I looked at the pics and I was ready to like it, but actually I think it's a little over the top. I think small logos would have been much more classy. I just don't care for the full length wrap, I guess....Oh well!

Polynesian Dweller
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
My first reaction is that I don't think I like it. In the picture it actually looks less futuristic to me than the standard train. Maybe they will look better when we're there and can see the actual monorail. Will have to see when we get there?

BrerGnat
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
OMG...my son is going to FLIP out if these are on the monorails in a couple of weeks. He LOVES (in a crazy possessed way) motorcycles and he also loves the monorail. Talk about overload! I think it's okay looking. I actually like the colors...

seanyred
03-19-2010, 10:56 PM
saw the pictures of the Tron Monorail going through Future World. They look even better with EPCOT in the background. Just wish I could see them in person.

Lakin
03-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Not a huge fan of the design at all! I think it takes away from the futuristic look of the trains and makes the look like every other commuter train

I agree. I don't like the new design. :-o

DreamFinder2
03-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I think they're kinda cool...but, does anyone else think the pix look 'photo-shopped'? I hope the actual trains end up looking as nice.

Polynesian Dweller
03-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I think they're kinda cool...but, does anyone else think the pix look 'photo-shopped'? I hope the actual trains end up looking as nice.

The Daily Disney site has a video of the Tron monorails going through Epcot. I really didn't like what I saw of the real trains in operation. Somehow they just don't look like the monorails and seem less futuristic to me when seen in motion. Search for thedailydisney and find it.

DizneyFreak2002
03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I dunno.... A podcast released a video of the monorails... I rather like it...

Amy_617
03-22-2010, 10:07 PM
I LOVE these!!! I know it is just temp, and it is an advertisement....but they look SOOOO much better then the plain white monorails with the color strips down the side!! YAY!! I can't wait to ride these and May and get some pics!! :mickey:

Kaps
03-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Nothing more than a big advertisement for them. I like the cars the way they were. They already advertise to much on the inside of the buses :ack:

laprana
03-23-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm not so sure I like the Tronorail. It's kind of cool looking, but I'm partial to the classic white monorail with colored stripe. Maybe it's because I never saw the original Tron...or because the Tronorail looks like a big moving billboard.

ljgirl
03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
We rode it on Sunday!!!

DizneyRox
03-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Can anyone confirm this "new" monorail is the result of the two crashed monorails? I figure they thought they could save some money on paint and just wrap the thing, call it new and nobody would know the difference.

Seems reasonable...

DVC2004
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Can anyone confirm this "new" monorail is the result of the two crashed monorails? I figure they thought they could save some money on paint and just wrap the thing, call it new and nobody would know the difference.

Seems reasonable...

I can't confirm it but it seems like something that would be done...

joelkfla
03-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Seems reasonable...
No, they are not.

The new train, which was built from salvaged parts of the two that were wrecked, is Monorail Teal, and it has been on the beam for several months now. The stripe is a shade of blue, with the white cutouts at the center of the cars that are on all the non-primary colors.

Boost
03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I've seen them. They look horrible.

Why mess with something that is timeless? Hope that this is temporary.

Again.....HORRIBLE IDEA.....

TheRustyScupper
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
It just looks like a huge billboard.

DUH !

Imagineer1981
03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
I remember seeing the monorail decorated as a yellow submarine when they changed 20k to Nemo at DL. I think its kinda cool, as long as its only for a limited time

lightyearfan
03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I think they look terrible. In my opinion, it throws the magic right out the door. It just looks like a huge billboard.

everything that disney does is a huge billboard? Me and dw just got back yesterday from WDW and we saw it pulling into the station and it looks great, plus it's only the epcot line and to see this going along side the road looks really cool as well, as far as the billboard theory goes Disney is all about billboards even the other monorail trains say something to depcit whats going on at that time like the year of a million dreams trains and celebrate today trains and buses so the fact that this is for Tron is fine. the other monorail trains will be left alone so it's not so bad imho

Mickey91
03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Which color monorail did they use?

PiratesLifeForMe3
03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Which color monorail did they use?

When I rode it last week and the doors opened up I swear that the stripe was still there and not covered and it was pink.

Always Goofy
03-25-2010, 10:56 AM
We were at Epcot on Friday when it was debuted and we all thought is was really cool. If they moved it to the MK line I would not like it.

I did ask the cast member at the Epcot station and they said it was made up from the two that crashed...but he could have been mistaken.

I rode a lot last week and I swear that all the coloring inside the trains are pink...I am sure I am wrong, but it seemed like it!

crltkcagle
03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
:thumbsup: Think it looks like a cool fast monorail train! I know they only changed the Epcot monorail but I really hate the balloons on the MK monorail.

Maleficent's Dad
04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Just back from a rather pleasant trip. Got something to share re the "Tron-orail."

We saw on at least two occasions the "Tron-orail" on the MK line - it was running express from the TTC to the MK. I have some pics that I'll eventually get to uploading if anyone is interested. So no, Virginia, it is not "Epcot exclusive." (Although admittedly, for most of the week, we saw it only on the Epcot line).

For what it's worth, I do think it looks cool - but I'm not sure I like the idea of decorating the monorails! :scratch:

BrerGnat
04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
We just got back yesterday too. Rode the Tron Monorail once and saw it around Epcot many times, although, only one of the colors (the teal one). Never saw the other one, unless there is only one? (Thought the concept art showed two different color schemes...)

My kids loved it. They called it the "Motorcycle Monorail." I thought it was cool in person. :thumbsup:

joelkfla
04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
We just got back yesterday too. Rode the Tron Monorail once and saw it around Epcot many times, although, only one of the colors (the teal one). Never saw the other one, unless there is only one? (Thought the concept art showed two different color schemes...)
It's different colors on the two sides. The left side has the blue-green light trail; the right is orange-yellow. The Epcot line boards from the left at TTC, and from the right at Epcot. And on both the Epcot and MK Express lines, you exit on the same side you boarded from, so you would only see one side of the train.

The person who said they spotted a pink stripe at the doorway is right; it's Monorail Coral.