PDA

View Full Version : Ak or WL

mickeytravel
03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Would you stay at Wl or Ak lodge. We have always stayed at WL and like the boat options but i am not sure if i want a change:confused:

disney1122
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I say stay with WL. The boat dock options are nice and if you love it there, why change?

I also feel like AKL is too far out. Animal Kingdom is our least fave anyway.

I say WL!

Figment104
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
We genearlly stay at WL and last year went to AKL just for dinner. I couldn't believe how far out there it was. It was a really beautiful hotel, but I don't think I'd want to stay there. Love to visit it, but our home will remain WL. :cloud9:

wmdaddy
03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Never stayed at AKL, but it's just too far away from everything. The resort is nice, but I don't think any Disney Resort comes close to the WL in terms of theming and ambience.

Stickey
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
The edge goes to AKL. It is the most unique and best themed WDW resort. No resort experience can compare to a savannah view room at the AKL.

AKL also has a huge restaurant advantage over WL. Jiko is excellent and Boma and Mara are very good. Roaring Forks at WL may be the worst resort cs option on property.

The MK area is the most remote area at WDW. The distances are short between Epcot, DS, DTD, and AK. The longest trip is to MK. For some reason, the bus trip from WL to AK takes forever(30-45 minutes). By car, it is only 10-12 minutes.

Mousemates
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd vote AKL if:

1. You were going to be in a savannah view room

2. You aren't a park commando who spends every minute from morning EMH to late night EMH in the parks.

3. You enjoy animals and are an adventurous eater.

To me AKL is one of the true gem properties of WDW...its a very very unique experience...as far as I know there is nothing else quite like it in the U.S. The lobby is a work of art and a wonderful place to kick back, read a book, enjoy a beverage or simply people watch. And then there are the animals...there is nothing quite like sitting on your balcony, looking out the window and being eyeball level with a giraffe.

There is no doubt that AKL is a bit farther out if you are hardcore magic kingdomers....and WL is a great place to stay...but AKL has its own magic and is (IMO) a place you ought to stay at least once.

jenperich
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I also say AKL. I love WL too, however like another poster said...you are never going to get another experience like a stay at AKL. A savannah-view room is magnificent. You feel like you're on safari every time you step out on to your balcony. Absolutely stunning!

wmdaddy
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
The edge goes to AKL. It is the most unique and best themed WDW resort. No resort experience can compare to a savannah view room at the AKL.

AKL also has a huge restaurant advantage over WL. Jiko is excellent and Boma and Mara are very good. Roaring Forks at WL may be the worst resort cs option on property.

The MK area is the most remote area at WDW. The distances are short between Epcot, DS, DTD, and AK. The longest trip is to MK. For some reason, the bus trip from WL to AK takes forever(30-45 minutes). By car, it is only 10-12 minutes.

The restaurants at WL are very good. Whispering Canyon is arguably the best non-character place to dine for kids, and Artist Point is fantastic. I never found Roaring Fork to be bad at all. It's rather small, but the food is fine.

The other advantage to WL dining is the proximity to the monorail resorts. It's a 5 minute boat ride to the Contemporary, and then you're a monorail ride away from the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. If you don't have a car at AKL, going anywhere else to eat is a chore.

I agree, the MK area is remote, but how can anyone complain? Look at everything there is within easy walking/boat/monorail distance:

Wishes, Electrical Water Pageant, Fort Wilderness, Chef Mikcey's, California Grille, Artist Point, Whispering Canyon, Ohana, Polynesian Luau, Hoop Dee Doo, Victoria & Albert's, 1900 Park Fare, Narcoose's, Citrico's, Grand Floridian Cafe. Not to mention the Magic Kingdom.

megustamex
03-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I responded to the same question on a different post yesterday on this, so you may want to look that up as well. AKL is my favorite resort. IMO you don't even need the Savannah room if you want to save money. There are so many amazing public viewing balconies around the resort where you can see animals, or you can go outside and see them even closer. I love that you can go for a swim and then stroll over to view the animals. The lobby is a destination in itself - completely transforming as soon as you walk through the door and smell the food from the restaurants and hear the African music, not to mention the amazing artifacts and full glass wall. The decor throughout is just stunning. The magic never fails me as soon as I walk through the doors of the lobby. Just as Disney can make you believe that you are soaring in a hang glider or hanging out in another country, AKL transports you to an African lodge (at least the one in my imagination!).

Restaurants are all great too; Boma and Jiko are my favorites. Even the food court Mara has African specialties.

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Don't forget Sanaa! While not in the main building, it is on property a Kindani!

megustamex
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Don't forget Sanaa! While not in the main building, it is on property a Kindani!

I did forget! And I agree it is also very good!

BigBaloo
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
My attitude has always been you should a new resort if you are the type of family that goes often. You'll never know unless you try. It will make it a new adventure for your family. AKL is definitely on our list of places to stay in the future once the kids get a little older.

We have eaten there 2 or 3 times & always say how we have to stay there at least once....

AllDisney
03-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Having stayed at both AKL is our favorite. The hotel is so unique that no other hotel on property come close to the experience of staying there. The distance from everything was never an issue.

If you haven't stayed there before go ahead and try it. You won't be disappointed.:cloud9:

pokci
03-13-2010, 07:40 AM
I love that we all have such different takes. :) To me, AKL is as far away as you can get. The values, AK and AKL seem so remote. :mickey: I prefer WL for a few reasons: the theming, the varieties of transportation available making it easy to link to everywhere but AKL, the peacefulness, the proximity to the monorail loop without being on it. From WL you can take a boat to Ft. Wilderness, a boat to MK, a boat to TTC. You can hop on the monorail and go to EPCOT. At EPCOT you can take a boat to DHS. The world is playfully linked! ;) There is NO way to get to AK unless you take the bus. And from AKL there is no way to get anywhere unless you take a bus.

Just my two cents! :D

AndrewJackson
03-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge a few times, and love it, especially the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom.

To be honest, I do not get the appeal of AKL. I have eaten dinner at Boma, and it was delicious. And I know the decor is unique and all. But wanting to watch a giraffe eat EVERYDAY! I suppose it would be neat once or twice to wake up, grab a cup of coffee, and watch animals graze in the morning.

I am just not drawn enough to want to do that everyday as compared to the better location of every other deluxe resort.

INHO, WL is the better choice.