PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped Rooms

ransam
03-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I see that most resorts include handicapped rooms...what do they include?

one thing i am concerned with is that i use an evc, and when i come back to the resort it's a pain to get it in the room and then we don't have mush room...are the handicapped rooms bigger to help w/ the scooter?

kakn7294
03-08-2010, 09:20 AM
As far as I know, at the values and moderates, the handicapped rooms come with 1 king bed which does allow for a bit more floor space but the rooms are the same size. The bathrooms have a lower shelf in the closet area, wheelchair room under the sink, handrails around the toilet, and a roll-in shower with handrails and a bench. There is no tub.

PETE FROM NYC
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
My main complaint about handicapped rooms is that they do not have automatic doors..That would make it so much easier for us ECV users.
What we do is to use one of our canes to hold the door open while we drive in.
DW and I are both ECV users and had plenty of room in POP last year.

ElenitaB
03-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Pete, did your room have the one king-sized bed? Our room in Pop (though not a handicapped room) had two full beds and there was all of just a few inches between the door and the first bed. We had to rearrange the furniture in order to make room for the scooter.

PETE FROM NYC
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Ellen
Last year at Pop, we had a handicapped room with one king bed. That gave us loads of room for both ECVs. Just had to remember to bring a power strip for nightly recharging.

PETE FROM NYC
03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Our handicapped room at Pop had a king bed, giving us plenty of room to park both ECVs.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Hello DD's BF will be in a wheelchair and I would like to get a handicapped room for them. Do they charge more for the room? And how do i make sure they get one? Thanks:mickey:

DiannaJ
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
The handicap rooms at WL have a King bed and a large bathroom with roll in shower. It was easy for my grandmother to get around in. However they don't have an automatic door which would be helpfull. We are staying at the Poly this time and I have been told they they do have automatic doors and that they take off the doors to the refrigerator area because they open outward and if in a wheel chair they would not be able to be opened so they removed the doors. We are staying in the Tokelau Longhouse because those rooms are much larger with 2 queens and a day bed with room enough for a wheel chair and a scooter. Also a large bathroom with roll in shower with benches. I have 2 handicap with me this time so this room should give us plenty of room.:thumbsup:

peemagg
03-27-2010, 09:38 AM
In order to get a handicapped room you need to request one at time of booking (or call back and let them know you need it). You also need to stress that this is for medical necessity due to one in your party in a wheelchair. Depending on where you are staying you might want to also get a first floor room. Some of the resorts do not have elevators only stairs.

After calling and getting that part straightened out you should call to the Special Needs department ( or asked to be transferred there), and make sure they have note of it and they can also help you with other things you might need, like transfer boards, shower benches, etc. There is a special number, but I can't seem to find it right now, but when I do I will post it.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks this have been very helpful. :mickey:

DiannaJ
03-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Special Needs Number is 407-939-7807 option 1. Other numbers you may need are Centra Care In Room Services 407-238-2000 and On Call Doctor 407-399-3627. Hope this helps everyone..:mickey: