PDA

View Full Version : DisneyorBust returns to the "World" Day 6..of a 4 day trip!

DisneyorBust
03-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Cast:
Still, just the two of us!
Day 6

Yes a four day trip and we’re at day six. So we get up at 2:00 AM. Ethical question though – at 2:00 AM do you use the blow dryer? Will your neighbors mind? Will they meet in you the hallway when you exit? All these things go thru your mind when you are trying to get ready at this ungodly hour!! So at 3:00 am we’re sitting on a bench waiting for our bus. In the dark with not a soul around. Our bus comes and we load. We are not off BC property and DH phone rings – yes our second leg of the flight is canceled!!! Can you believe it. We can fly Orlando to Cincinnati but Cincinnati to Pittsburgh is canceled. We think OK – we’ll head to Cincinnati and drive home. We’ll land around 10:30 get a car and still be home before dark (hopefully). What we didn’t know what that since a leg of the trip cancels, they rebook the entire flight because the end destination is Pittsburgh. So by the time we get to the airport, we are booked on a Delta flight on Tuesday along with SW flight. READ MY LIPS – I WANT TO GO HOME TODAY, not TUESDAY!!! We finally get in line and speak with an agent. After some fancy foot work, we get on a 11 AM flight Orlando to Cincinnati. We then have a Cincinnati to Cleveland arriving at 3:30 PM. We book it. It’s the closest we can get to Pittsburgh. Now a car. Do we drive from Cincinnati? Or Cleveland? After my DW makes quick work of her new iphone – we pick Cleveland and luckily there is a car available. We’re going to get home. Now what do we do at the airport from 4:00 AM til we board at 10:30 AM? We eat but who’s hungry? Our nerves are shot, we’re emotionally drained and wondering can anything else go wrong? Well we finally take off on the first leg – we left a bit late. Boarding doesn’t seem as smooth as SW. We are at the very back of the plane – but at this point, we're on it. So that’s all we want. It was a very enjoyable flight. Smooth. The flight crew where very pleasant and very informative throughout the entire flight. We get to Cincinnati airport with about 40 mins to our connection. We grab a quick drink and a pretzel and get to our next gate. Now the flight to Cleveland was on a 50 person jet. Remember DW and flying. Well those issues went out the door. It was home – home – home – get her home!! But the agents at the gate announce that the flight is overbooked by 3 – does anyone want to take a later flight!! Oh please don’t bump us. Luckily there were others who stepped up to the plate. The flight was very smooth and quick. We were in Cleveland before you knew it. It was a bit inconvenient that rental cars were offsite of the airport but what can you do?

We got a car and we headed home. Roads in Ohio were fine. Once we hit PA though we did encounter some small issues. There was a lot of snow. The roads weren’t completely clear but we did the slow and steady travel routine and we were fine. We got home approximately 6:30 PM. Home was never so sweet.

Note:

Our kids were great – we must have done something right along the way. They took care of each other, the house, the dogs probably better than most adults. They definitely deserve some KUDOS!!!

Disney – wasn’t very accommodating. They were nice but really didn’t feel our pain $$ wise given the situation. There were a lot of folks in the same situation. I wonder how they dealt with this. Maybe I’m being short sighted. Maybe this type of stuff happens to a lot of travelers and they cannot accommodate for everyone?

Seems to me there would have been enough folks having traveling issues given this storms system (closing DC and Philly) that they could have put us in a value or moderate (I know there had to be room, I just wonder if the resorts were limited given the low season and not staffed.)

Airlines – wish they would work together when situations like this happen – helping folks get to their destinations no matter what airline. But I guess they are for profit not for customers.

We did book a bounce back offer that was in our original room. Will we keep it??? We sure are! Returning in December with DD#2 and her best friend, ought to be fun!

It’s a shame that the 2 ½ days that we were stuck for cast a shadow over the 4 days that we really enjoyed.
Despite the weather and travel issues, it really was a nice get away, just the two of us.
After all, what's life without a little adventure?!

faline
03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
It's always hard when travel plans don't go, well, according to plan! Whenever a wrinkle crops up, I always term it "Adventures in Travel" and, like you, try to figure out what Plan B will be! Glad you made it home despite your "Adventures in Travel"!

KylesMom
03-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm really sorry that your unintentional extended vacation wasn't as enjoyable as the first couple of days . . . it's nice to hear that it's not going to keep you from Disney later this year. Great that everything was ok with the kids when you arrived home - and that you did make it instead of being pushed back to Tuesday! Thanks for sharing the ups (and the downs) of this 6-day tour. :mickey:

kakn7294
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Glad you finally made it home! Sorry your last few days weren't so magical.

mouseketeer mom
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
WOW! It must've been so sweet to finally arrive home, house and kids and dogs intact. WHEW!!!

yjgirl32
03-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear you made it home safe. Thanks for the reports.

Melanie
03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh goodness, what an ordeal! :( I'm glad to see you guys made it home safe and sound. :thumbsup:

jillluvsdisney
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Wow. What an ordeal. Glad you made it home safe and that things were ok at home. Way to go kids!!

princessgirls
03-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Glad you were able to make it home. That is the main thing.

Weather has been a major issue this winter.

Sorry that it had to come into play for your vacation.

Julie:mickey:

vizsla
03-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Pocahontas
03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
You would think being stuck at WDW would be a good problem, but I could really feel your pain and frustration. If you can, try to just dwell on the beginning of your trip!