03-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Sierra shows her grandparents the World & VWL

Magic Kingdom Fantasyland & Tomorrowland and Marrakesh – 26 January, Tuesday

Cast of characters

>From Missouri
Sierra - five year old Disney Fan
Sam - Sierra's mom
Grammy K - Sierra's maternal grandmother
Me – Sierra's great aunt (Grammy K's sister)

>From Louisiana and first time visitors
Granny M - Sierra's paternal grandmother
Papa R – Sierra's paternal grandfather

The Plan – We plan to be at rope drop so we can get on Dumbo with little wait. After various Fantasyland and Tomorrowland attractions we'll have lunch at Cosmic Rays – the best counter service restaurant in the universe. We'll have a break at our resort and then head to Canada to see the new movie and then to Morocco for supper.

What really happened - We got to the boat dock about 8:15, as a resort launch was approaching. We heard that the first boat to MK would arrive at 8:30. So we got on the resort launch and headed for the Contemporary. Once there, Sam and Sierra and I walked on over to the Magic Kingdom. Dumbo was calling. GK, GM and PR went upstairs and waited for the monorail. We'd all meet at Dumbo. By 8:40 we were waiting at one of the arches (to the left) below the train station. There was only one family group ahead of us.

It's quite a hike to Dumbo from the front of MK when you're on a mission. We have usually headed for Dumbo after having an early breakfast at Crystal Palace, which was closed this trip. Sam and Sierra made the second cycle at Dumbo with very little wait. Sierra likes Dumbo but her main focus is Cinderella's Carrousel, which was her next ride. GK does not do circles, so she and I waited and took photos while Sam, Sierra, GM and PR rode. GM enjoyed the Carrousel. While we waited GK noticed that Peter Pan was meeting and greeting, with very little line. Sierra did not care – which amazed GK (“but he's right there!”). Next up after the Carrousel is the Sword in the Stone. Don't get in the way of a five year old on the way to her sword. GM and PR had to help Sierra pull on the sword.

After that we did it's a small world, Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic and Pooh's Hunny Pots in quick succession. All through isaw the audio kept cutting out, and after we exited, we noticed the ride was down. This seemed to be a theme with us – but we weren't ever stuck on a ride.

We have been meaning to do Philharmagic for several trips and finally took the time since we were doing slower touring with GM and PR. What great fun. Sierra especially got a kick out of Donald going through the wall. She mentioned several times that she got water drops all over her. She enjoyed the Country Bears but would much rather go back to see Philharmagic.

Then we had to do the Teacups, with GM and PR going on with Sierra. GM enjoyed herself but PR is not a tea party kind of person.

At Tomorrowland, we went on Buzz Lightyear (almost walked on) and Carousel of Progress. Sierra enjoyed Carousel of Progress, saying she'd rather do that than Country Bears. This makes me happy. I remember seeing Carousel of Progress at the New York World's Fair so it is special to me. I remember how impressed everyone was at the time. Most of our extended family finds CoP dull and boring (snore noises) but Sam and Sierra are with me on this attraction. We also did the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor for the first time. The technology is interesting but the seating is so uncomfortable for a very short person (me).

Then on to Cosmic Ray's for lunch. We like to lunch by 11:30 if possible, as the lines are shorter and there's more choice for seating. Here again we found bunches of hula hoops. The bus stop at WL also has hula hoops. Sierra had a wonderful time trying to learn to hula, with the help of a slightly older girl's help.

Next up: Space Mountain. GM and PR had decided to try this and Sierra was happy to have another screaming ride, since her favorite, Splash Mountain, is down. This was Sierra's first time on Space Mountain. The ride seems less annoyingly rough and is nicely dark now. At one point, instead of screaming, Sierra said, “Look, there's the Milky Way!”. GM liked it. She is really enjoying Disney World. PR is too but he's not as much of a ride fan. He could pass on that “ride in the dark”.

It's time to head for the resort but along the way we get sidetracked by some ice cream which we eat while listening to the barbershop quartet perform. We had heard them sing on other trips but had not yet heard them play the bells. It was a real treat. Note here, at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, the “single” ice cream is actually two scoops. We could almost have shared.

After a rest at our villa we headed for a bus to Epcot. After our late treat at MK, we skipped the O Canada film and headed straight to Marrakesh. GM and PR were a bit anxious about eating at Marrakesh. PR ordered his usual fish which GM also ordered. They enjoyed their food. Shortly after we started eating, the musicians started playing and the belly dancer came out. After one dance she came around to the tables, collecting little girls to dance with her. Sierra was happy to cooperate. On our last meal at Marrakesh, Sierra had slept through the belly dancing.

Earlier in the day, we had thought we'd ask our server about the tooth fairy, since Sierra has recently had two visits from the tooth fairy. Sierra didn't care for the pasta and meatballs we had ordered for her, saying it didn't taste good. We asked for plain noodles, which our server was happy to bring, but Sierra didn't like that, either. Sam suggested just some plain shish kebabs, which our server brought and Sierra nibbled on. Our server was very attentive, for which we tipped extra, as she worried about what would Sierra eat. But with all the back and forth with Sierra's entrees, we didn't get a chance to ask about tooth fairies.

After shopping around Morocco some, we moseyed on up to the American Adventure. Sierra fell asleep, but GM and PR enjoyed the show and the audio animatronics. Afterwards GK and I decided to go back to our villa with Sam and Sierra while GM and PR elected to walk around World Showcase. It was so nice that they were comfortable striking out on their own. They really get into the spirit of things, GM with glo in the dark bracelets. PR puts his around his ball cap.

We shopped a little in Mexico, on the way back to World Showcase, as Sierra had seen a cane she wanted to get DH, who was having a new knee put in shortly after we got back home. We were back at our villa early enough to get some clothes washed. We thought we'd dry the final load in the morning, as the dryer seemed a bit loud and was right outside GM and PR's door. However, as we were settling in for the night, Sierra got sick again, so we wound up running the dryer and the washer both. GM and PR said the next morning that they hadn't heard either the washer or the dryer.

At the end of the day - GM and PR got to experience a lot of the magic of Magic Kingdom, and some of the exotic of Epcot. Sierra apparently still wasn't over whatever was upsetting her tummy. We finally got to experience Philharmagic – what a great show. It's on our must do list for next trip. Sierra has a new screaming ride – Space Mountain. It was a pretty good day.

Thanks for reading!

Jan

faline
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
It was a very nice day - right up until the moment that Sierra go sick again! Good thing you had that washer and dryer so readily available! What an up and down trip Sierra is having!

KylesMom
03-08-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm glad you were finally able to discover Philharmagic - isn't it wonderful?! Love the fact that Sierra has a new screaming ride, too. On the other side of the coin, how awful that she's still not over this bug. Even with it hanging on, it still seems that everyone is having an enjoyable time. Thanks for sharing another adventurous day with us! :mickey:

yjgirl32
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
We love Philharmagic- very cute! Sorry to hear about Sierra. Thanks for sharing.

mouseketeer mom
03-09-2010, 06:38 AM
At least Sierra didn't get sick again until the day was over...My DS wouldn't eat at Marrakesh either. He too said the spaghetti and meatballs tasted funny...
Great you were able to tackle most of Fantasyland in the morning!

pdrlkr
03-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: