View Full Version : DisneyorBust returns to the "World" Day 4

DisneyorBust
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Cast:
DisneyorBust
DW, my better half!
February 5th, 2010
Day 4

Well it’s our last day (or so we think). We’re not too depressed. This trip was a gift. With our second child graduating and heading off to college this year, we just weren’t sure if we’d make it back during our preferred visit time (Christmas) and this trip was using up some airline credits and a really good offer. We had no goals this trip. We went with the mindset that we’ll do what we feel like and ride what we can. More important to enjoy the atmosphere and enjoy time together.

So we’re up and moving at a reasonable hour. Our flight is at 4:30 PM so we have until 1:30 to play. We’ve changed our game plan a few times but have settled on MK for our last day. They’ve been forecasting storms for today and we are a bit hesitant about flying home – it’s scheduled to hit around 3 PM. We check our flight and it’s already delayed and the weather folks are predicting severe thunderstorms, lightening and tornado warnings. DW is not a great flyer. She’s worried about the turbulence – she has issues with motion sickness. So we’re sitting in the room and we make the decision to cancel our flight out today and book first thing in the AM. (We never did find out if this flight did leave Orlando or not, last we checked it was still delayed at 6 PM.)

There is also a snow storm warning for the East Coast but I have to admit we really didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to home – we were focused on Orlando. This was a mistake. We should have followed our original plan but I’m getting ahead of myself. So we rebook flights out Saturday AM and then call WDW travel to find a room. Who would have thought that the majority of the rooms would be booked. The Poly was totally booked (which I find really bizarre – we’ve been there during Christmas and it was much busier and there were more people). No values open, no moderates open – how can that be? There’s what a million rooms? We finally got a room at SSR. So we packed up all our luggage, checked out and shipped our luggage to SSR.

We headed to MK. It was overcast and it added to our moods. We had made the decision to stay but I don’t think we were comfortable with our situation. In retrospect we should have just stuck with the original plan and saw where it took us. We stopped at the bakery and enjoyed a cinnamon roll. I don’t really remember much of what we did that day because our minds were on our decision that we made and whether it was the right on or not. We did end up in Epcot by lunch time. DW enjoyed nachos from the temporary booth in Mexico. I enjoyed a brat in Germany. We wandered thru the World Showcase, one of our favorite things to do.
We decided to stop in the Rose and Crown for a pint, we have never done this or even been inside the R and C so today was the day, DW had a pint of Harp and I had a Black and Tan, both were quite good. I'm sure we'll be back !
The skies were clouding up and becoming dark. Around 2:30 we decided it was time to head to SSR. We had never been there and thought it best to get there before the rain hit. So we took a bus from Epcot to SSR. The resort was very nice. Not sure that we’d like to spend a week there. The theme doesn’t do very much for us. We didn’t feel like we were in the World – we felt separate like we could have been anywhere.

We get our room and arrange for our new ME pick up for Saturday. We luck out and our luggage just arrived!! Maybe we are on the right path? We get our luggage and head to our room. We need to find the laundry. We hadn’t planned for this extra day so we need a few things. We find that the laundry is right beside us. Maybe things are heading in the right direction. We put some laundry in and head to the main building. There were some things we wanted to purchase for home but in the confusion forgot about. We try and decide whether we should eat dinner but it’s a bit early and we’re not really hungry yet. So we wait. Our laundry is done quickly. We hang out and tune into the news. The rain has begun and the tornado warnings and watches start. Listening to them, we decide we did make the right decision. Now whether it was a bad as they said, we don’t know but they sure made it seem that way. At some point we do head to the main building and get dinner – flatbreads and salad. They were good. We enjoyed the food selection there. Basically we just relax in the room. We then began getting reports from back home. Our kids are telling us that we are getting 1-2 feet of snow. It has begun. We look at each other and think – maybe we made the wrong decision. Here we are in this warm climate (granted it’s raining) but our three kids are at home manning the homestead without their parents. We are just horrible human beings let alone parents!!! This fluctuation in attitude begins to become almost too common over the course of the next 24-48 hours. Well we’re settled for the night. We set a wake up call for ME and we fall asleep.

Melanie
03-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Oh yes, I remember this day. We were actually in Downtown Disney that afternoon and the storms were really bad. I'm sorry it put such damper on the end of your trip. :(

On the plus side - you discovered the Rose & Crown. :beer:

KylesMom
03-07-2010, 07:11 PM
What a predicament to find yourselves in - do you keep your original plans and perhaps find yourself at the airport overnight, or do you cancel in hopes that things look better tomorrow? I hope that the decision you made, in hindsight, was a good one for you. And as Mel pointed out, at least you finally made it to R&C!

It's certainly wild that you had a bit of difficulty finding accommodations for the evening, especially the first week in February. I hope that tomorrow isn't too full of stress for you! Let's go see . . . on to the next installment! :mickey:

faline
03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Once a decision is made, it's made. We can always second guess our decisions but, usually, I find that the decision made is generally the right one in the end!

Glad you had some nice moments during your unexpected extension!

vizsla
03-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the report.

mouseketeer mom
03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Oh, I can only imagine the second guessing...

yjgirl32
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
OH I know the feeling of uncertaintity- al too well. Sorry to hear about this. Things happen for a reason.

Ropachs
03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh, I can imagine (living near Buffalo) how you must have felt, I hope this gets better for you!

pdrlkr
03-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: