PDA

View Full Version : Puppy in Kennel???

RedSoxFan
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
So I have a 9 month old yellow lab, Bella. We have to visit my MIL who was diagnosed with melanoma (it spread to the brain) as there isn't a lot of time left. That means I have to put Bella in a kennel. This is my first puppy/dog and I have no idea how she will handle a kennel. Any input as to what to expect would be much appreciated.

NewDVCowner
03-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I would check with the vet to see if they recommend any place. My sister found a kennel that has a partnership with her vet and the vet will come to the kennel if there's a problem with her dog. I also would drop in to the place you're thinking about unexpectedly just to see how clean it is, etc. I'd be very concerned about any kennels that will not allow drop in visits. It makes me wonder what they're hiding.

retiredfigment
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Also, if you are very concerned, many kennels have a camera on the area that you can access on your computer to see how things are going.

NotaGeek
03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
So I have a 9 month old yellow lab, Bella. We have to visit my MIL who was diagnosed with melanoma (it spread to the brain) as there isn't a lot of time left. That means I have to put Bella in a kennel. This is my first puppy/dog and I have no idea how she will handle a kennel. Any input as to what to expect would be much appreciated.
Visit your vet at least 10 days prior to boarding and make sure all the vaccines required by the boarding place are up to date ... you don't want to give the vaccinations some time to kick in ... and they normally required kennel cough, flea/tic treatment rabies etc ..

To be completely honest it doesn't matter how nice the facility seems -- unless the boarder has an option for daily play time or walking, the bulk of your dogs day will be in a cage -- so be sure and ask those questions if you want your dog to have significant social time outside during the day.

MegaDisney
03-05-2010, 08:42 PM
I work at a kennel. Here is my advice:

Do not board your dog anywhere that does not require at a minimum: Rabies, Bordatella & DA2 Vaccinations. 14 days before boarding is the recommended time frame ahead of time to FULLY protect your dog. Honestly DA2 and Bordatella are the two that I would make sure they get ahead of time. If the facility has the capacity to vaccinate at check in (as we do) you can do that, just keeping in mind that full immunity takes about 2 weeks. Even then no vaccine is 100% effective. They should also require a PERSCRIPTION flea and tick treatment (Frontline for example).

Tour the facility! Check online reviews, keeping in mind that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

The most important thing is the staff. A kennel may be old, and run down, but your dog doesn't care if he has a flat screen T.V. or 500 count sheets. The staff and how they handle your pet is the most important thing.

A boarding facility attached to a Vet is a good idea too.

Pirate Granny
03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
We actually were very lucky to find a kennel that has social time for the dogs and a playground...yep, you read right...a slide, teter toter and climbing type wall...love it...and so did Lilly love it...
:pirate:

murphy1
03-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Awww, what a cute name, is that from Twilight? I have put Murphy in the same place all her life. I agree with all the advice here. One other thing, our kennel has runs, which are large caged areas instead of little cages. I worked in a vet's office in high school and it was hard to watch the bigger dogs in these smaller areas and i vowed I couldn't do that to my future dog (cats are fine in those, they like smaller spaces). I also have gone on friend recommendations. They interact with the animal 10 times a day, and go on walks about three times a day. I bring a towel that smells like our house, too and her usual food. Murphy actually loves going to this place after so many years and they are very good to her, Bella will, too once you find a place. I have neighbors who leave their animals at home and have a pet sitter check on them, but it really depends on the animal for this situation. I have never done it.

Tinkermom
03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
We use a pet sitter. We have used her for about 5 years now and she came recommended by a friend from church. Maybe you could ask your friends/co-workers to see if anyone you know and trust uses a pet sitter. I feel so much better knowing that my doggie and kitty can stay at home. Our sitter comes 3 times a day and hangs out for a bit to "visit" with our dog and lets her out/feeds her, etc. In fact our pet sitter is coming by today to meet with us as we are heading out to WDW for Spring Break. She meets with us prior to our trips every time to be sure nothing has changed. I know that our dog Minnie just loves her because she goes CRAZY every time our pet sitter comes over and greets her like she greets us!:thumbsup:

Just a thought!

DisneyDog
03-09-2010, 02:07 PM
We usually board our pets at our vet's office. However, I know that, at least in our area, there are many farms that have dog boarding. They are supposed to be great fun for the dogs, but are very expensive. We have also used a pet sitter who has come in to walk my dog a few times. Ours charges $17/visit.

Katzateer
03-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Once you find a good place I would board rather than have the pup at home. Especially with just one dog.

I like the boarding with the vet - but our vet doesn't do that anymore. They know the animal and the vet assistants loved it when our Sheltie would come for the week.

we hire a dog sitter now because we have 2 dogs, 3 cats and a bunny so it is cheaper and better to have someone come here and I didn't want to pay for kennel cough shot for both dogs since they were only boarded once or twice a year

Some of my friends have a trade - they take the dog to their house and then when needed, the other person will take the dog home. that way the animal isn't alone in the house and has a playmate.

Good luck

And I love the doggie daycare if you can find a good one - but we went to one in Ohio I did not like. A dog doesn't care about all that stuff if you can just find a good place to take care of him.

cer
03-10-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't have a dog, but I am so sorry to hear about your mother in law. I know this is not going to be an easy trip for your family. :(

SBETigg
03-10-2010, 09:48 AM
You feel bad leaving them at first, and you really want to make sure you have the right place. But once you do, you can feel good about it. My dogs love going to the kennel. They get excited and they really like the family who runs the boarding place that we use. They know our dogs now. They're good to them. Our dogs go in happy and are visibly happy when we pick them up, too. It gives you great peace of mind to find that place where you know your dog is safe, happy, and well-treated when you're away.

Look for a place where they aren't caged but are kept in larger spaces. Ours has room-sized spaces assigned to each dog with a doggy door that goes to a fenced outdoor space. We have two and they stay together in one room. They have social time where they are out in a secure fenced yard with people to play and supervise. We can opt to let them play with other dogs or enjoy social time on their own. If you can only find caged facilities, I would check to make sure that they get a lot of time out of cage and some walks. Best wishes with the search and to your family at this difficult time.

RedSoxFan
03-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I feel so guilty for having to board her; but DH keeps telling me she will be fine. We visited a boarding place this morning (a friend of mine uses them). It was very nice and very clean. They are in individual cages with a doggie door to outside. They sleep on clean blankets that are given to them daily. The couple live on premise and it has a security system. They do have group play time, individual play time, treats -- of course, all extra $$. We are looking at another boarding place at 4pm today. This place has individual rooms with beds and a doggie door to the outside run. Both places have radiant floor heating. Bella will be coming with me this afternoon. If I decide on the first kennel, I will bring Bella to meet them on Saturday. Next weekend will be very difficult as it is and I just want Bella to be safe and happy. We thought about leaving her with my sister in RI (we are going to Massachusetts); but we do need to get Bella used to a kennel so we can go on vacation at some point!!

RenDuran
03-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I always liked boarding my dogs when they were young and as they got older and would just lie around while we were gone anyway, I'd have a sitter come by the house several times a day.

I like the idea of indoor/outdoor kennels at the boarding facility. Then the dogs aren't dependent on someone letting them out.

I was disappointed at a kennel one time when they never gave my dog her medication. They weren't even smart enough to hide the fact that they never gave her medicine. They just handed the entire bottle back to me!

Good luck. I'm sure your pup will do just fine.

RedSoxFan
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Well, we decided on the first kennel we visited this morning. Just seemed to be what we were looking for and it came recommended from a couple of different people who leave their dogs there. The second place was OK -- nothing elaborate like the other place. The woman loved Bella and vice versa. The man couldn't even be bothered with interacting with Bella or us. Just a big turn off for us.

murphy1
03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Sounds like you found the best place! Enjoy your vacation!

RedSoxFan
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Bella made out fine at the kennel. She had play time with the other dogs and frosty paws ice cream too. The owner said Bella did really well for her first visit to the kennel. She was so happy to see me that she knocked me over and gave me lots of kisses. I would use them again for boarding. Thanks to everyone for their advice.:)

SBETigg
03-23-2010, 08:39 PM
So glad it worked out for Bella and for you. Wishing your family well.