PDA

View Full Version : Women's Basketball Punch

indytraveler
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
In case you have missed this. The other night Women's Baylor Basketball player Brittney Griner punched Texas Tech's player Jordan Barncastle in the nose.

The result: a NCAA 1 game suspension and a 1 game suspension from the Baylor coach. The Big 12 Conference has not weighed in yet with any punishment.

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture? A whopping (or is it wallopping) 2 game suspension for hitting someone. She did not "throw" a wild punch she "landed" one across the nose. I'm not sure as to where to begin with this, but the shear fact that you hit someone in a game warrants more than a 2 game suspension. The Baylor coach is a big Chicken for not suspending he "star" player for the rest of the season.

There has been some precedence for this. Just last fall an Oregon player reacted to a taunt from a Boise St. player after their game and the coach suspended him for the remainder of the season. However, he did come back the final game of the regular season and bowl game. But his response wasn't just a slap on the wrist. Women's soccer had an incident this fall as well. Don't remember the teams involved but only after the Internet site where this video was went viral did anyone in authority do anything.

My point here is that punching, throwing a punch, or trying to do intentional harm to an opponent is an automatic 1 YEAR suspension. There is no place in any game for this, men or women. Especially in the NCAA where these are suppose to be model citizen athletes. At least student athletes. And yes they should be held to a higher standard, because most of them are receiving a paid education.

I'll get off my :soapbox: here and let you comment.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
That is way to lenient. Prior to dd14 moving on to high school, I coached a 7th grade junior team, and we suspended a player for two games for making derogatory remarks about a teammate, with the understanding that she could be indefinitely suspended for a recurrence. that may have been a little harsh, but my main goals at the beginning of the season were discipline and team comraderie. If any of my players were to strike another player, she could forget about playing in that club again.