PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Wilderness Newbie

NODUDE
03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
We owned a Pop-Up for many years but it was damaged a few years ago. As you can see by sig, never camped at WDW. Never wanted to make the trip with camper from Chicago. Buying a new (probably ROO 23SS) camper in the next couple of months. In anticipation, have booked 3rd week of Dec. Full hookup preferred pet loop. Couple of questions. Does everyone decorate for Christmas? Should we request a specific loop? Will this be a completely different Disney experience having only stayed at the Resorts? Finally, I know this has been asked before but I'll throw it out there. Is a golf cart a must?

faline
03-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Congrats on your new purchase!

Many folks tour the campground just to see the decorations displayed by campers. Not everyone decorates but many do.

Personally, I'd probably book a preferred loop within walking distance to Pioneer Hall. However, this costs extra and, given the time of year you're going, may not be possible. The campground books up pretty quickly for the month of December.

Personally, I've never rented a golf cart and got along just fine using Disney's internal transporation.

If you're adept on bicycles or have kids who are, you may want to bring them along. They can be used to get around the campground as well.

CU Tiger
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
We love camping during Christmas time!:number1: Many people go all out decorating their site for Christmas. Some of the sites have more stuff than most houses in my neigborhood. What a site to see!:cloud9:

When we stay in the cabins, we come down in our car and usually have a golf cart. When we camp in our pop-up, we are able to bring along our bikes and do not get a golf cart. The bus system works well, but I like having the freedom to get to places without waiting on a bus. You will love FW!:mickey:

medic9016
03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
The only preferred pet loop is the 300 loop. It is within walking distance to the boat dock for the MK. It is also right next to the dog park.

The internal buses are efficient enough that a golf cart is not necessary. They are around $60 a day to rent. We have taken our own golf cart but we prefer bicycles. Keep in mind that the 3rd week of Dec is the busiest time of the year and the buses will be very crowded.

If I remember correctly the Roo camper has the pop-out tent end. Pets are not allowed to be left alone on tents, pop-up or campers with tent end or soft sides, they mus be kenneled.

NODUDE
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Thought 1600 and 1800 were prefered pet also but really have no idea if my info is correct. As far as pet in Roo, one of two things. Not sure the soft side issues is actual rule (could not find spcified anywhere) but would probably put ends up (turtle) or leave at kennel for day anyway(if Ft. Wilderness Kennel is still there come December). BTW, had absolutely no problem getting reservation from 11th thru 22, found that almost shocking.

medic9016
03-04-2010, 08:17 PM
1600 - 1900 are full hook-up. 100 - 300 are preferred with 300 being the only pet loop.

ibrowse17
03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Take plenty of Christmas decorations for your site!! A cart is very nice to have, but not a must. Enjoy FW at Christmas:thumbsup:

TinaAndGlenn
03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I am a fellow Chicagoan, & you can see we have camped at Disney many times. You will LOVE IT! As far as a golf cart goes, we usually rent one for 1 or 2 days only. We do not go to the parks every day & so we rent a cart on an off day to do laundry. But last time we rode around to look at all the different Christmas decs. They are fantastic!
For me, the best part of staying at FW are the sights, sounds & smells. The campground smells great, you can hear the MK train whistle, multiple fireworks, boat horns, etc. The campground is beautiful & nothing beats sitting at your site to relax, don't forget the water parade every night, or just chilling on a hammock on the beach.

Not2Loud
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Golf Cart - not a must, but we always enjoy it.

As far as a different experience, I would say so. There is something great about Ft. Wilderness thats a bit hard to explain. Its like being in the WDW magic, without the craziness that appears at times at the resorts. I always feel like there is room to rest and relax there.

Have a great time!

hauntedmansiongirl
03-16-2010, 01:29 PM
We are so jealous of you!! We spent several vacations at FW, then sold our camper. With all of this recent bed bug talk, we are thinking of returning to it. Anyway- got a bit off topic.

Definitely get some decorations, even if it is just a string of lights. We are usually there in October and people go crazy for Halloween, so I can imagine what Christmas is like. A lot of campers had those inflatable sculptures on their sites- cheap and they don't take up much room to store.

We never used a golf cart. We always stayed in the 900 loop. It is opposite meadow hall and the pool (also the movie and campfire area), right in the middle of the resort. The bathrooms and laundry are right there too. And it isn't a preferred loop, so it is a bit cheaper.
You need to walk 15 minutes or bus to Pioneer Hall, but we didn't mind at all.

You will love the campground atmosphere. It is calmer and quieter than the resorts, and everyone is very friendly. There are ducks, rabbits, peacocks, geckos and armadillos wandering around, which is always beautiful to see. And there is something about coming back to your own bed every night. The bathrooms are the nicest campground bathrooms we have ever seen and are always very clean and full of hot water. We found it much easier to shower at night after 9:30pm, as there seems to be an early morning rush.

Have a great vacation! You will LOVE IT!!!:mickey:

jonahbear2006
03-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Where you are staying, I would not get a cart. If you were in a 2000 loop, I would suggest it for comfort but being that close to the boat dock, I simply would not spend the money. The decorations are gorgeous and people really do go all out. I really hope some of them have purchased some of their decor on clearance after the season cause WoW, some of them really have TONS of decorations!! Saying That still doesn't do the resort any justice with what you will see!

Laughin' place
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Another Chicago area Ft W fan. We have camped several times (as adult and child) and have rented the cabins.
I am sure you will love FtW. We have never been in the Christmas season (when Im sure theres even more of a Disney feel with all the decorations), but we have always found it to be very "Disney". We have never rented a golf cart. Our tow vehicle and the busses have always worked great for us. I have found having my own car to be a big plus, in terms of being able to shop and drive to where I want whenever I want. have a great time!