PDA

View Full Version : Universal Front-of-Line Passes

DisnIse
03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi,
I'm finally giving in to my kids this year and taking them to Universal / Island of Adventure this summer.
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth staying on Universal property ($250 per night) to get the front-of-the-line access; vs. paying for their version of fast passes ($100 for the five of us); vs. waiting in line.
Has anyone taken advantage of the line jumping at Universal? Is it really worth the extra money?
Thanks-

clausjo
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
We stayed onsite once because we got a really good deal and loved that we could go in the front of the lines for all the rides. I have a friend that purchased the passes when she was there a couple of summers ago and she said it was great because it was so crowded. The only bad thing was that they would mark off which rides you did on your line jumping ticket and you weren't supposed to use it for that ride again. She said some of the people that worked there did it and some didn't. When we stayed onsite and showed our room key, no one ever asked if we had been on that ride before, but it wasn't very crowded at the parks.

Either way, Universal is a lot of fun, especially Islands of Adventure. With the new Harry Potter section opening up soon, I'm sure it's even better!

DVC2004
03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
The hotels there are very nice- but re: the front of the line passes, it depends of it will be busy when you go or not. If it is a busy time of year then yes they are definitely worth it. Also if you are staying there on property they are unlimited front of the line as opposed to the express passes you can buy. The passes you can buy only let you do it once per attraction.

We went in April last year during a weekday and it was dead. But we've been there in summer and October where it was crazy busy. So if it were me I would still opt to stay onsite even if only for one or 2 nights. You really only need to spend a couple days there to see everything.

BowTie7
03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Also note that while almost every ride is in the front-of-line program, one or two may not be. Currently the new roller coaster at the Studios isn't. Since it is generally the newest that aren't included, you may want to check on the new Harry Potter ride (though that park may open early for hotel guests--I think that's a part of at some of the packages being sold this summer.

Touchdown
03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
If the new coaster isnt using Express pass from the beginning that would be a first. I went there a few months after the Mummy opened and used (and reused, and used again) my hotel key for multiple rides that trip.

Kenny1113
03-04-2010, 08:11 AM
We stayed on site a couple of years ago in august. We Were grateful for the line pass bc it was hot and crowded! We were able to do both parks in one day riding almost everything! The nice thing about staying onsite, we got to walk back to the hotel for a mid day break!

NJGIRL
03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Summer will probably be crowded and front of the line passes will probably be a big help.

From everything I have been reading HP will not be allowing the front of the line access.

DisnIse
03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I've been sticking $25 a month away for the past two years with the thought that I'd save it for something special. I think two nights at one of the Universal hotels counts!!!

Even if we have to wait for HP (though early morning entry would be awesome!), if we ONLY had to wait for that, but could skip other lines, it'd be worth it.

Thanks everyone!

joonyer
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
We visited universal in October and did NOT have the "fast pass" option. WE didn't need it. We were able to ride every attraction in the park(s) (we went to one park per day) several times each day we were there and early in the morning we were able to ride several times with no waiting at all. Considering that the $25 front-of-the line pass at Universal is only good once per attraction per day, I don't think it's worth the extra $$ unless you are going on a really crowded day or time of year.

Touchdown
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
I cant imagine why they have stopped allowing hotel guests FOP to their new rides. Its a major reason people stay at their resort, and as the newest ride people are going to complain when that perk is not available there. If that is the case, dont expect me to come back Universal until the new HP ride is A: Up and running consistantly, B: Express Pass is up and running on those rides.

It is so freeing and different to go into a park knowing you will never wait more then 10 minutes for any ride, thats the whole reason I stay at your hotels.

MidnTPK
03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
From everything I have been reading HP will not be allowing the front of the line access.

What is your source for this information?

I just called the Hard Rock Hotel to ask about this, and the representative said the guidance she had been given is that when Harry Potter and The Forbidden Journey opens, the policy may be that on-site hotel guests can only access the attraction once per day using the Express access.

NJGIRL
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
What is your source for this information?

When I made my reservations with the Hard Rock Hotel I ask and they told me from what they were hearing that HP would not be included in front of the line access.

Tink1
03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
we are being told the hotel guests will have access once per day for Forbidden Journey.

Nanc

NJGIRL
03-08-2010, 08:35 PM
we are being told the hotel guests will have access once per day for Forbidden Journey.

Nanc

That's great news! Either I was misinformed or they changed their minds. Either way that makes me happy.:D

thrillme
03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I like staying in the Universal Hotels regardless. I think it's really worth it.

It's just my preference and honestly I tend to be a Best Western/Comfort Inn sorta girl. The room is just a place to sleep.

KathyMO
05-29-2010, 11:04 PM
What is the earlist you can check in at the Universal hotels? Can you check in around 7am even if your room is not ready and get the front of the line access? If so we may stat at a Universal hotel a couple of nights in november.

Tink1
05-30-2010, 09:24 AM
What is the earlist you can check in at the Universal hotels? Can you check in around 7am even if your room is not ready and get the front of the line access? If so we may stat at a Universal hotel a couple of nights in november.

Yes you can!

Nanc

magicalmom
05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Don't forget to check into discounts like AAA. They help a lot if you want to stay in a Universal hotel -

Disney OB RN
05-31-2010, 06:19 PM
I stayed two nights at the Royal Pacific and can attest to the fact that it was a great experience, from our room being ready at 8AM when we went to stow our luggage & get Universal Express Room Key passes prior to heading out to the parks, to the efficient & quick boat service, and CONVENIENCE!!!!! I"m a Disney fan through & through, but my kids & hubby had asked to go....we didn't get in before WWoHP previews, but still had an amazing time. The hotel front of the line passes were so worth it!!!! The only ride at the time of my visit not allowing front of line access was Rip Ride Rocket at IOA, & yes, Forbidden Journeys is reported to be as well. Maybe by the time you visit, Rip Rocket will be off the 'newest attraction" list, & will be addded to the pass. Just get there early & ride it first thing, if not. That's what we did, with very little wait.:D

NJGIRL
07-01-2010, 08:51 AM
I just wanted to update this question. As of now there is NOT front of the line access to the Forbidden Journey even for on site hotel guests. The person I spoke to said that at this time there is not a date scheduled for it to begin.

Onsite hotel guests are allowed to enter HP land (8:00) one hour before the park opens to offsite guests.

bkfree
07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
We are making our first trip to UA in Sept.
We are staying onsite at Portofino Bay. We are a family of four and thru Magical Journey's we have gotten a rate of $167 a night.
3 day park to park passes and Sea World tickets. We are staying 5 nights. It is much cheaper than the same at WDW, so this makes us happy. We do not have a dining plan but after perusing the menus at the restaurants at the parks and CIty Walk, they seem much more reasonable than comparable places at WDW. Will let ya know.
I do think the Onsite FOTL pass and early entrance for onsite guests coupled with the 4 star hotels at moderate prices and cheaper food, that we will surely get lots of bang for our buck.