PDA

View Full Version : O'hanna Character breakfast - pros and cons please

homeschool mom
03-03-2010, 05:36 AM
I have one more ADR to make and we decided to go with a breakfast. We have never done O'hanna and thought it might be worth a try. I would appreciate your thoughts on this meal. We are a party of 7, myself, DH, DDs 18, 16 and 15 and DSs 11 and 9.

We are more interested in the quality/selection of the food than the character interaction. Some of us enjoy the characters while others would just rather eat and not be bothered by them. We have done Chef Mickey's on several occasions and enjoy the selection of food there. Any comparrison?

SurferStitch
03-03-2010, 06:45 AM
As far as food goes, you can't compare 'Ohana to Chef Mickey's. Mickey's is a buffet, while 'Ohana is served family style. You get scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes (I love the potatoes) and Mickey waffles...you know, standard fare.

The bread basket you get has a delicious pineapple bread in it. I devour that.

The food is good, but not super great. But, Stitch is there, so I am too! Character interaction is excellent.

Our favorite character breakfast based on food alone is Donald's Safari Breakfast in AK. If you're not so concerned about characters, and focus more on the food, you might what to consider that instead.

SBETigg
03-03-2010, 07:54 AM
If you want to try 'Ohana, go at dinnertime. If you're after a character meal with great interaction and more individual attention, do 'Ohana's breakfast. That's the strong point-- that characters have more time with individual tables and are more likely to find you there because it's not a buffet. It's family style service with decent food but far less selection than you would find at a buffet like Chef Mickey's.

If you're not really into characters and you want breakfast, go to the Grand Floridian Cafe or Kona Cafe. Excellent breakfasts. And if you really want to try 'Ohana, it's more known for the dinner time with the family style starters and side dishes and endless meat skewers and that amazing dessert.

BigRedDad
03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Character Breakfasts are for character interaction and not necessarily the food. It is not that the food is bad, but $20 for a Golden Corral breakfast is a lot. If you are looking for a quality meal at Ohana's, go at dinner.

moe513
03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I think if you are staying at the Poly its not a bad choice but I didnt think it was worth the travel. I would pick a breakfast in a park. Crystal palaca is excellent. I also liked the on in Ak too. The ak one is in the Yak and Yetti. Im not sure of the new name.

wdwfansince75
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I think if you are staying at the Poly its not a bad choice but I didnt think it was worth the travel. I would pick a breakfast in a park. Crystal palaca is excellent. I also liked the on in Ak too. The ak one is in the Yak and Yetti. Im not sure of the new name.
Donald's Safari Breakfast is in Tusker House, not Y&Y. It is our personal favorite breakfast.
Advantage of Ohana breakfast is that it is table service...The family can dine together, without half of the party in line for food.

badkitty
03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
If you don't care about the character interaction, the breakfast skillet at Whispering Canyon at WL is similar to (or the same as) the way the breakfast is served at Ohana's. I think it is also cheaper and not everyone has to order it. There are other selections on the menu as well. Plus it is fun. Be sure to ask for ketch-up!

DizneyRox
03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
The food at Ohana is just eh. You can get the same food everywhere else of property, overcooked eggs, soggy bacon, etc.

If you don't care about the characters, then pass. Donalds is a great breakfast, has the above and so much more. IMHO it's the best breakfast on property. I'm going a few times on my next trip.

homeschool mom
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I booked O'Hanna, but I'm having second thoughts. We did Donald's breakfast in Sept. '08 and we felt so rushed it was crazy. No time to enjoy the food or the characters, and Donald smelled like garlic! That was actually kind of funny. My kids kept coming to the buffet and saying, "Hurry, Mom, the waitress said Donald, etc. is coming and won't be back before we get done. It was really a pain. Not enjoyable at all. I can't even remember what the food was like because of the insanity of our time there. Of course, we were there in Sept. on the free DP so maybe it was unusually busy. I don't know if I want to take that chance again, and I would probably really have to do some talking to convince DH and the kids to try it again. We have never done O'Hanna and it seems a little more laid back. I'm still thinking on this one! We're paying for the DP this time so I want to get my money's worth!

SBETigg
03-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Again, if you want to get your money's worth, do dinner. Dinner is always a better value/use of credits over breakfast for the DDP. But, value is relative to what you're getting out of it personally, and if breakfast is your preference then it's all good. The 'Ohana breakfast is much more relaxed because the food and characters come to you. They refill as needed, so it's plenty of food if not as much variety. As far as character breakfasts go, it is one of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it.

5togetherWDW
03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
We have done the breakfast at Ohanas a couple times and enjoyed it. We've had mostly adults in our group both times, all adults according to WDW (11 year old male being the youngest, last time.) The first time, we were seated with a lovely view and had a very relaxed meal -- the characters came by to play, but in between there was a level of calmness which made it all the better. (Our teen was able to continue devouring food without interruption :mickey:) The food was replenshed quickly, and was a good typical breakfast with the added bonus of specialty breads. The more recent time, our seats were in a corner. For some reason this was also the break point for the characters. Each came up to the table to our right - had a loud fun time, then left for a break. (11 year old was quite frustrated.) When they returned we were either first or second table visited -- other than Lilo, who skipped us. I've never had this happen with all the characters in a row breaking at the same point (in any restaurant) -- it was very odd. The food was still good and the waitress attentive. When we told them Lilo missed us, she did come right over and Pluto was very playful. I'm guessing that there was something special going on that day.