PDA

View Full Version : Daddy and 3.5 Year Old Daughter Trip - No Mommy - Crazy?

MidnTPK
03-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking of doing a WDW trip in early December - just me and my little girl, who will be three and a half then. Has anybody personally done this? Have tips on how to manage it? Strongly advise me against it?

Background: my wife has to go to the UK this December to be the matron-of-honor in her close friend's wedding. I'm thinking of doing a daddy-daughter trip while my wife is away. The wife is fine with this plan.

But if there's a consensus that this is a lot harder than I think it is, my planning for our June trip might change.

More background: we're not going to do our fall trip this year because my wife is pregnant (due in late August with our second). I'm thinking this would be a nice way to have some special time with her after she's had to go adjust to the new family dynamic.

SallyMcQueen
03-02-2010, 05:40 PM
My husband has never done this particularly but he has taken our daughter to all sorts of events and he has had a great time. I don't think your crazy and I think your daughter will talk about her special trip with her dad for many years to come. And frankly try to spend as much time with her as you can before your second child comes along. We have two kids who are 3.5 years apart and that baby will take up a lot of time that you would normally have spent with your older child. So take what you can get now.

Good luck!

BigRedDad
03-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat. Know your limits and your daughter's limits. Since you will be together 24/7, you will need plenty of rest and she will too. Set a plan for when things get a little antsy. If she is getting restless, find one of the playground areas and let her run wild. Use the resort pools to wear her out a little before a nap. See if you can arrange a baby sitter or kids club one night. This will give you a little time away for part of a night.

Dizneydreamin'
03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Do it!!! It sounds like it would be a great trip. I wish my husband would take my DD6 to Disney, but unfortunately he doesn't like Disney.:jaw:

Madame Leona
03-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I think it is a wonderful idea!!! I did a lot with my dad when I was little and we had such a strong relationship. I lost him two years ago this month but I'm so happy to have the memories. Just scope out where the family restrooms are in advance. You probably don't want her in the men's room and she is way too little to tackle the ladies room alone. Have a great trip.

g8rgirl29
03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Go for it!! It will be a wonderful special time for Daddy and his girl!! I took DD 5 for a Mommy and girl trip this past January and we had a blast. It was a lot of fun, we did 4 parks in 4 days. Happy planning and have a great trip!!

TikiGoddess
03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I took my 3 year old to Disney by myself (I'm the mom). We met my brother there with his wife and 3 yr old son, so technically we weren't alone.

The only snafu in the plan was that my daughter got sick the first night we were there :ack:. I don't deal well with :ack: so it was nice to have my brother there to help out. He even took our rental car and got ginger ale, crackers, etc. from offsite.

Looking back, the only thing I would have done differently would be to make sure we took naps every afternoon. I am the commando in the family and my husband usually slows me down... at the end of the long weekend my DD and I were both very tired from very full days.

I think if you take your time and go at your daughter's pace, you will be fine!

Kathy

Georgesgirl1
03-02-2010, 08:03 PM
That sounds amazing. My dad and I never took a trip to WDW alone, but I really cherish the memories of the things we did just the two of us. It would especially be nice for her to have that attention after the new baby arrives. I would say go for it and have fun!

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I say TOTALLY!!!! What a great father you are to want to do this with your DD.

Just remember a few things...

If your wife is the photographer, remember to take that roll. Take lots of pictures! Or better yet, do the photopass and take pictures every possible place you can.

If your wife is the nurturer, remember to take that roll. Sounds like you already are a great dad but, sometimes only mommy will do. Take note of how she nurtures and soothes your daughter adn remember to do that. I'm a HUGE hugger and kisser and "I love you" teller. My kids come to me first when they need cuddling or extra TLC. My DH does his fair share yet, again, sometimes you just need your mommy. Be prepared how to handle this and what to do to be "mommy" for her if needed.

I think its great. And if it were me, I wouldn't dare let them go to Disney without me! I'd be toooooooo jealous!!! haahaa...:blush:

homeschool mom
03-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I think that's an awesome idea! What a great time for you and your little girl. Go for it and enjoy!

biodtl
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
It's a great idea! Make sure you take a lot of photos to help her remember her special dad/daughter trip.

Joannelet
03-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I commend you for even coming up with this idea and how you are going to spend that time with your daughter.
I do think that its a wonderful idea. TIme with her is so precious right now especially once the baby comes. She will still need that one on one time with both of you and this is such a great gift.
So take her and make great memories with your little girl :) Before you know it she'll be grown and you will have such great memories to fall back on :)

scootch713
03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I took my girls by myself when they were 2 1/2 and 5... from Ohio, hubby thought I was nuts, but he teaches and thus can only go in the summer or over a holiday. We have been doing it every year since(6 years in a row!) Go for it!

WDW Addict
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a great trip! I have been debating on taking my 5 yr old son by myself, I'm dad, so you'll have to post how your trip goes ...Have Fun!!:mickey:

Patricia
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I've been alone with 3 young boys a couple of times. The airports were more stressful (due to boredom) than the parks.

You'll be fine. It's the easiest vacation to do with a young child. You play, eat, nap, play, eat, sleep and start all over again. :mickey:

MidnTPK
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement. The planning will start soon!!

You'll be fine. It's the easiest vacation to do with a young child. You play, eat, nap, play, eat, sleep and start all over again. :mickey:
This was a big part of my thinking. WDW is such an easy place to spend quality time with toddlers/little ones. My thinking was I'd much rather be on vacation in a place designed for fun, then have to figure out the things near home to do with her while mom is away. Plus we'd have to figure out child care while Mom is away (my wife is a stay-at-home-mom). This seemed to me to be a win-win situation.

BigRedDad
03-03-2010, 11:44 AM
It is definitely a win-win situation.

If you think we want or need some alone time, you could look into a baby sitter service for a few hours. From what I have read, the private sitters are very good. Also, some resorts have a kid zone where you can drop them off as well for a fee.

faline
03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
What a great plan! You and your daughter will certainly create some wonderful memories which you will both cherish in years to come!

Keep in mind, Disney does have companion bathrooms available which might be helpful to you.

Pooh Fan
03-04-2010, 10:50 AM
My wife, son and I had a trip planned for September 2008. We found out in April/08 she was pregnant and she wasn't fond of doing Disney at 7 months pregnant. We didn't want to break our sons heart so I took him (then 4) to Disney. We had an awesome time. A really relaxed week, lots of pool time, naps and a waterpark day that he still talks about. Every night we would set up the computer and use Skype to talk to mom back at home and tell her about our day. I know this created special memories for him and quite honestly it did for me as well.

eas423
03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I say TOTALLY!!!! What a great father you are to want to do this with your DD.

Just remember a few things...

If your wife is the photographer, remember to take that roll. Take lots of pictures! Or better yet, do the photopass and take pictures every possible place you can.

If your wife is the nurturer, remember to take that roll. Sounds like you already are a great dad but, sometimes only mommy will do. Take note of how she nurtures and soothes your daughter adn remember to do that. I'm a HUGE hugger and kisser and "I love you" teller. My kids come to me first when they need cuddling or extra TLC. My DH does his fair share yet, again, sometimes you just need your mommy. Be prepared how to handle this and what to do to be "mommy" for her if needed.

I think its great. And if it were me, I wouldn't dare let them go to Disney without me! I'd be toooooooo jealous!!! haahaa...:blush:

Love the points Jennifer brought up!

I think this is such a sweet idea, go for it!!!

MidnTPK
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks again for all the comments.

I haven't mentioned that I have family in the Orlando area (Winter Park) who could help me out in an emergency. And who will probably be with me on the weekend. I didn't mention that because I feel I need to be comfortable doing this on my own,100%.

If you think we want or need some alone time, you could look into a baby sitter service for a few hours. From what I have read, the private sitters are very good.
My wife and I used Kids Night Out several trips ago. Our sitter was great and I'd use them again. But I did some nights solo on our last trip (wife was perfectly happy to baby sit/rest in the Jacuzzi in our BLT 1 BR) and I don't think I'd incur that rater large sitting expense to visit the parks alone.

Keep in mind, Disney does have companion bathrooms available which might be helpful to you.
One of my few significant worries is managing potty breaks. I'll have to find these places beforehand. Are they at most rest rooms, or a selected few?

faline
03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
One of my few significant worries is managing potty breaks. I'll have to find these places beforehand. Are they at most rest rooms, or a selected few?

Here's information (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_CA/common/Plain?id=PlainHomePage#restrooms)from Disney World's web site on where these restrooms are located.

pianobabe
03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I think this is a wonderful idea. I am sure you will have some fantastic memories from getting to spend this special time with your daughter. Perhaps you can make it one of your goals during your stay to find a special Disney World present for the baby. I hope you have a wonderful time.:thumbsup:

princessgirls
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I think you will do fine, and there are plenty family restrooms around the world!!

Enjoy!

Julie:mickey:

MidnTPK
07-29-2010, 02:49 PM
This trip is a GO. Bought our airplane tickets yesterday. Booked the BWV.

Michelle15
07-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Good for you :thumbsup: have a fun Daddy and daughter trip. Also, good luck on your up coming new bundle of joy :mickey:

tundramom
07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Our DD's first trip was right before her 3rd Bday. I was at a continuing ed class all day/all week and DH managed her fine. They did spend a lot of time at the pool, and way more rides on the Carousel and IASWAA than he cares to remember. He said he took her in mens RR, just covered her eyes entering and leaving:blush:. Go for it, it will be a great memory.

pianobabe
07-29-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm glad you decided to do it. Have a blast!!:mickey: