PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever experience...

homeschool mom
03-02-2010, 01:43 PM
...bed bugs at WDW? My exterminator was in today for a routine inspection and was telling me he always checks for bed bugs when he stays in hotels. He told me what to look for and where. Honestly, he has me pretty freaked out! I guess I'll be looking for bed bugs from now on and not just disinfecting with Lysol!

fielin
03-02-2010, 02:06 PM
There have been some reports here of people who thought they might have taken more than pretty souvenirs home. :)

faline
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Bed bugs are becoming a real problem. I always check for them whenever we stay in a hotel.

#1donaldfan
03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
.....I have seen a thread about them, but that's been quite a while now......I'm sure someone will come around with that info....

....I wonder if you encounter them, you get an extra charge for extra's in your room....ok, hopefully you all know that was a joke....:thedolls:

BigThunderFan
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Soooo.... how do you look for them?? :confused:

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Our exterminator told us the same thing a few years ago. Told us how to make sure we don't bring them home. and how to decontaminate all of our travel things.

the day before he came to our home, he was at another home decontaminating their home that became infested with bed bugs. They just came from a carribean island and think that was where they came from.

soooo gross.... :sick:

homeschool mom
03-02-2010, 03:38 PM
This is what he told me to do: remove all bedding and check in every crease of mattress and box spring. He said he even turns over the box spring and checks under the paper on the bottom. (He has been known to take a knife and put a slit in this don't think I'll go that far.) Remove head board which is usually on a track fastened to the wall so it will lift right out. Check back of head board and any cracks or crevices there. Check night stands and dressers in the same manner. He even said he never puts his clothes in the dressers, but leaves them in the suitcase and places the suitcase in a large black trash bag closed with a twist tie! Nothing goes on the floor, even dirty clothes. Dirty clothes go in a trash bag shut with a twist tie as well. He said either leave your luggage outside your room while checking or put them in the bathtub, but never put them on the floor without being in a trash bag. He said bed bugs were almost eradicated in the USA, but due to so much international travel, they are back and bad. He also told me not to associate bed bugs with dirt, they are just a common pest. They are about the size of a lady bug, but oval and flat. They feast on blood so you can look for their droppings as well which look like grains of pepper. They are extremely difficult to get rid of once you have them.

Now do you see why he freaked me out! With all the hotel stays we've had over the years, I guess we're fortunate we never brought them home! It's not about to keep me home, it's just one more thing to think about when traveling.

jenperich
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow! That's a lot of work. I think I'd rather just take my chances...but I'm not sure. Ewww....:sick:

Mousemates
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
.....I have seen a thread about them, but that's been quite a while now......I'm sure someone will come around with that info....

that would be the infamous "bedbugs at the poly??? " thread.

Soph and Han's Mom
03-03-2010, 09:54 AM
i too have heard you should check your beds at hotels. it just takes a few minutes of your time and could save a lot of trouble! the first thing i do when i check in is throw the icky comforters off the beds and check the seams of the mattresses for any kind of droppings. then i wipe down the phones, remotes and door knobs with a lysol wipey.

my friends all call me 'monk' (you know...the ocd private detective) but these little tasks help me relax and enjoy my trip!

jwildflower1981
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
:bug:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

MMFreak
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
:bug:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Very funny :D

I check the mattress' too but I just look along the creases. I do not go overboard. But then again I guess if you are taking the chances of bringing these critters home you really can't go overboard.

cardnl1b
03-03-2010, 02:44 PM
There is a bed bug spray that they sell at bed bath and beyond. Just picked up a bottle last week. There is also an electronic device that supposedly kills the bugs and others. You just have take your time with the device.

gmgdisneymom
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I have also been told to be careful when buying a mattress -
make sure the company does not take old mattresses away in the same truck -
because the reason people get rid of mattresses is bed bugs and if your new mattress is sitting on a truck with other peoples old mattresses - the bed bugs will find their way into your home

I am so skeved just reading this:ack:

cardnl1b
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
There is also, this device...
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11270790&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|589&N=4001223&Mo=39&No=8&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3450&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/bed.bugs.disney.2.1038334.html
Story of a family from Chicago staying at the Allstar