PDA

View Full Version : Magic Express Departure Day question

Gregandmel
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
We have a late flight out on our departure day. OUr flight leaves at 5:55pm and it's the last flight of the day back to our city. I assume that Magic Express will pick us up close to 3pm. Since it's a Saturday and will be mid to late afternoon, I'm expecting the airport to be busy. I'm half scared of getting there late and missing our flight.

Here's my question: Can we ask the front desk to place us on a bus which may be leaving earlier....like 2pm? I'd much prefer to have more than ample time to check in and then have some dinner than to be panicking on our last day trying to get home. Is this allowed? Thanks for any response!!

Juicy1122
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
On our trip in December we asked to get an earlier magical express bus then the one we were previously assigned and as long as there is room they will switch you if you ask.

A&M'sMommy
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
The ME is scheduled three hours before departure time so if your flight is 5:55, you'd be on a 2:55 bus. We were early by about a half hour last time and we got on an earlier bus, I think it depends on the driver though. Can't hurt to ask.

deedeebee
02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
We usually fly out late, 7 or 8pm. By the time 3 rolls around my husband is ready to get to the airport. Each time we ask to get on the earlier bus, we do. No problems at all. The only thing is they have to see how full that bus will be. The drivers have always been very nice about it, we make sure to repay their kindness:thumbsup: Lots of things to do at the airport if there is time to kill.

CleveRocks
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
The ME is scheduled three hours before departure time so if your flight is 5:55, you'd be on a 2:55 bus. We were early by about a half hour last time and we got on an earlier bus, I think it depends on the driver though. Can't hurt to ask.Well, it's not so exact exact that it's always 3 hours before the flight. As long as there are reservations for pick-ups, each resort gets 2 DME pick-ups per hour, 30 minutes apart. They are scheduled for, for example, :20 and :50 after the hour, or :05 and :35 after the hour, and so on. That's why it's not accurate to say in advance EXACTLY what time someone's pick-up will be scheduled for. It's a window of about 2 hours 40 minutes to 3 hours 20 minutes before the flight. The OP had it right with the estimate of "about 3 o'clock."

Asking the driver of an earlier bus can work, if the driver knows there will be room for you. But doing it this way means you're taking a chance that you WON'T be permitted on an earlier bus. It's also possible there won't be an earlier bus (if there are no pick-up reservations for that "earlier" time period ... remember, DME doesn't constantly show up like Disney Transport buses to the theme parks, they only arrive on the above schedule IF there are DME pick-up reservations).

If you very strongly want an earlier bus, DO NOT wait until your departure day. The front desk has NO SAY IN THE MATTER about whether you will be permitted on a bus earlier than the one on your printed notification (which you'll receive on your doorknob or under your door on the morning of the day before your departure day).

You could go to the front desk about 2 days (or earlier) before your departure day and make the request. They can't grant or deny the request, but they can send a computer message to the DME system and it will (SHOULD!) be reflected in the time your are assigned on that notice the day before your departure.

But the very very best, fool-proof way to make sure of this is to talk to a real live DME cast member at the airport when you arrive at Orlando. Get in line at the DME counter to check-in, and ask to be scheduled on an earlier bus for your departure day. This will be your only chance to interact with a DME CM (there are none at the resorts), so take advantage of it ... resort CMs are not experts in DME procedures and are not empowered to make any decisions that affect DME in any way.

HAVE FUN!!!:number1:

EeyoresBestFriend
02-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the thread ~ I was interested in this myself . . .

Has anyone flown out around 5 or 6 pm on a Saturday in the last month or so? How busy is MCO? If you used DME, DID you have enough time? :mickey:

I'd love to know ~ this is our first time leaving at this time, not 7am. Of course at 5 in the morning, there is NO ONE there ~ not even the airline check in people. :D

MOJoe
02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the thread ~ I was interested in this myself . . .

Has anyone flown out around 5 or 6 pm on a Saturday in the last month or so? How busy is MCO? If you used DME, DID you have enough time? :mickey:

I'd love to know ~ this is our first time leaving at this time, not 7am. Of course at 5 in the morning, there is NO ONE there ~ not even the airline check in people. :D

We almost always fly out on a Saturday afternoon, and visit during Spring Break or early June. Busy times at WDW to be sure. We always have enough time to get to our gate and have a snack. Sometimes we have enough time to shop. Never have we needed to do the "Home Alone" sprint to the gate. So leaving WDW 3 hours before your flight should be more than adequate, even on a busy travel day.

SBETigg
02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
The "about" three hours is more than sufficient. That's why they schedule it that way. If there was any question that it wouldn't be more than enough time, they would push it out to four hours. This is why you more frequently see people complaining that the pick up is too soon rather than too late.

Not to mention that we were fifteen minutes early for our ME pickup one time, and they almost left without us. Now we're sure to be waiting a half-hour in advance of scheduled pickup, and they're almost always earlier than even the scheduled time says. Of course, if you feel more comfortable getting to the airport even earlier, then you should try to do that. But the time that they give you is well and above sufficient, even at the busiest of MCO times. MCO is a pretty efficient airport. I've always gotten through security quickly, with plenty of time to spare. But, as I said, do what makes you feel most comfortable. Also, in that case, you might consider taking a taxi (about $45-65 depending). Then you can leave when you want without any additional worries.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks ~ that makes me feel better.

Now I know I can go and play Saturday without worrying about that!

WooHoo!! :thumbsup:

hubbyofadisneyholic
02-27-2010, 12:20 PM
We were there last month and noticed that the security lines at MCO were huge when we arrived.
I called DME and although the lady assured me that they had plenty of experience and that 3 hrs were more than enough time I insisted on an earlier pick-up.
And I am SOOOO glad that I did. Our bus made 2 other stops before even leaving the grounds for the airport. The check-in and security lines were horrible. It took 45 minutes just to get thru security.
We made it to the gate 15 minutes before boarding.
Would we have made our flight if we had taken the bus we were originally scheduled for?
Probably.

Do we need that kind of stress to end a vacation?
Nope.

As a general rule the 3 hrs is OK, in practice...I have my doubts.

lindique
02-27-2010, 08:45 PM
If you want an earlier bus, you need to contact Magical Express (phone number is in the packet that you will receive). They WILL schedule you for an earlier bus if you ask - they will NOT schedule you for a later bus! I have done this before.

Since your flight is around dinner time, I agree that you should probably go earlier so that you have time to get some food before you get on the plane. And it certainly couldn't hurt, since you never know how the lines will be. There's always the two Disney Stores at the Airport if you have extra time before your flight!:mickey: