PDA

View Full Version : Italy Vacation Part 7 Home & Final Thoughts

NJGIRL
02-24-2010, 01:03 PM
We flew into Venice but are flying out of Rome. While Rome was much more busier than Venice it still wasn't crazy like the airports in the US.

Our flight took off on time and we all had little TV's attached to the back of our seats. We were again fed several meals and snacks on our way home. This flight was supposed to be 9 1/2 hours but was only 8 1/2. It felt longer than the flight in because it left in the morning and we didn't sleep going home. We arrived in Philly and were picked up by the service on time.

Final Thoughts:

Fly at night if you can. It really makes the time go by much quicker when you sleep for a couple of hours.

Venice: I loved the whole feel of Venice. It was so cool. Food was good but everything including hotels are very expensive. If you have even slight allergies make sure you have your medication with you here. Speaking English only is not a problem here.

Rome: It's a city plain and simple but once I got passed that it is filled with so many treasures you could only explain it as amazing. The sights are once in a lifetime experiences. Food was good and again English is not a problem here. Not as expensive as Venice but still up there.

Sorrento: IMO best food in the whole world!!! Much cheaper hotels and food than Venice and Rome. Wonderful little town with nice views.

Sicily: Speaking English only can be a little bit of a problem in many places but you can get by. If you truly want to see the "Old World" this is the place to see it. Views and countryside are breathtaking. Food is really good here and prices of hotels and food are much cheaper than in the north.

One note: Italy is not handicap accessable. We were there for 14 days and only saw 1 person in a wheelchair! Sidewalks in Rome are very narrow and in all four places there are steps into EVERYTHING (no ramps). We ask one waiter what the Italian handicap people do and he said they don't leave their homes.

This was a wonderful trip and am so glad we did it. I know I have said this before but feel I need to say it again. There are so many cool and wonderful places out there (even in our own back yard) to see don't confide yourself to the same vacation each year go out and see the world!

SBETigg
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Absolutely great advice, to see the world. My daughter is headed to France later this spring. Lucky girl.

Your descriptions of everything were so vivid. I felt a bit of what it might be like to be there. Sorrento is now on my list of places to see. Thanks for the great reports!

NJGIRL
02-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Good for your daughter! There is so much to see out there for people who are interested in travel. I bet it will be something she will always remember. :thumbsup:

It was fun to relive the trip as I posted it. I am just sorry it took me so long to finish the report. :D

Tink1
02-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Have been really enjoying your trip report! Thanks so much for taking the time to post it.

Where to next?

Nanc

Mickey'sGirl
02-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I've enjoyed reading about your Italian adventures!

You ain't kidding about lack of accessibility though.... We pushed my Mom around Italy on 3 occasions, and I'm surprised her teeth weren't rattled out of her head (We did have to make an emergency wheelchair repair once because part of her chair was rattled out!).

Italy is indeed expensive, but it is so very beautiful, and so worth visiting (Sorrento is perhaps the most beautiful place I have ever been to). Hopefully reports like yours will tempt some otherwise "closer to home" travellers to take a trip overseas. There is some fabulous history and incredible cultures to enjoy! :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Have been really enjoying your trip report! Thanks so much for taking the time to post it.

Where to next?

Nanc

In 2010 our "big" trip is Disney/Universal. I think we may be going to Niagra Falls in August for three or four days but that's not a sure thing. I did already start looking into Yellowstone for 2011. We have never been there so planning that will take some time and I have been told that you need to book your room at least a year in advance.

NJGIRL
02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I've enjoyed reading about your Italian adventures!

You ain't kidding about lack of accessibility though.... We pushed my Mom around Italy on 3 occasions, and I'm surprised her teeth weren't rattled out of her head (We did have to make an emergency wheelchair repair once because part of her chair was rattled out!).

Italy is indeed expensive, but it is so very beautiful, and so worth visiting (Sorrento is perhaps the most beautiful place I have ever been to). Hopefully reports like yours will tempt some otherwise "closer to home" travellers to take a trip overseas. There is some fabulous history and incredible cultures to enjoy! :thumbsup:

It was sad to know that so many people who would like to visit Italy can't. I give you and your mother alot of credit because I know how hard it was to navigate the streets with lugguage and can't imagine having a wheel chair on those narrow bumpy sidewalks. I'm glad you both were able to do it.