PDA

View Full Version : New dining for us, thoughts please

murphy1
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
We are going to try Coral Reef, Narcoosee (booked to time with Wishes) and the O'hana Lilo Stitch breakfast, how are these? I love seafood (being from FL), so this should be good. Also, can you get no onions at the Ohana breakfast? My daughter won't eat it.

murphy1
02-24-2010, 08:34 AM
One other question, how is the online reservation working for those who have tried it? I made ours that way instead of calling. I always bring the confirm #'s b/c i have had to use them before.

SBETigg
02-24-2010, 09:05 AM
I love the online reservations. You plug in a time, and they give you choices close to that time if that time isn't available. Then they send you a confirmation email that you can print out and have it all there without keeping track on the phone and writing everything down. But I haven't traveled yet after making the ADRs.

I had a bad experience many many years ago at Coral Reef, so it's not one we'll ever go back to (I would try again, but my husband will not). Narcoossee's is one of my favorites. I love it there. If you want a Wishes view, you'll probably want to step out to the deck and come back in. A lot of the tables near windows lose their view at Wishes time. But you might catch the Electrical Water Pageant at that time, too. Really fun! Not sure about onions at 'Ohana.

cajundisneyfreak
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I've eaten at the Coral Reef several times and it was good.Never ate at any of the restaurants at the Grand Floridian so can't comment on that.Just ate at Ohana's last week and there were no onions.They bring out some pineapple/coconut bread and cinnamon roll.Some guava/mango juice(didn't care for it).They bring out a plate of fresh fruit.Then they bring the skillet that has scrambled eggs,bacon,sausace,oven baked potatos,biscuits,and mickey waffles.

BigThunderFan
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
I always print out my ADR confirmation numbers and times on a credit card sized piece of paper and laminate. This way I always have them with me (in my wallet) in case you need them to make changes/prove your ADR. I have never had a problem, but a couple years ago I remember a lady walking away from the counter at CRT saying they lost their reservation. I always keep the confirmation numbers with me now just in case.

Also, it's a good idea to have them print your ADRs at the front desk so you can make sure everything is good when you get there. :mickey:

Pocahontas
02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
The first time our family went to the Coral Reef for dinner we loved it. The whole atmosphere was so much fun and our daughtered loved trying to find all the different fish listed on the paper they had at the table.

With that said, we have been back about 4 times and each time enjoyed it a little less. The food quality seemed to go down along with slower service. We will not be making ADR's here on our next visit.

Atmosphere lots of fun and quite interesting.
Food and service average.

murphy1
02-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone! Coral Reef is on our list b/c of the atmosphere mainly. I never really cared to go before, but my daughter wants to eat (probably chicken nuggets LOL) and watch the fish.

MariMouse
02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
We also do not like Coral Reef--service was poor and food not spectacular. We love Narcoosee's, especially for Wishes.
I have used the on-line reservation system for our last 3 trips and have had no problems at all. I write down my confirmation numbers, just in case, but have never had to use them. Enjoy!

SBETigg
02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone! Coral Reef is on our list b/c of the atmosphere mainly. I never really cared to go before, but my daughter wants to eat (probably chicken nuggets LOL) and watch the fish.

Shari, I think you will enjoy it. The atmosphere is great, and I think you will also like the food. Well worth taking a chance. As I said, I would easily give it another shot, but there is no getting my husband to go back. We were there in 2001. I'm pretty sure it has changed a lot since then. I'll be looking forward to your report on it. :thumbsup:

Jared
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones, but I have never had a bad experience at Coral Reef. I recommend it to everyone who asks for a dining suggestion in the Epcot area. Everyone criticizes the food, but I have enjoyed everything I have tried off the menu.

My only disappointment is the much-cited chocolate wave dessert, which I consider overrated and not worth any fuss.

ElenitaB
02-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm going to beat my Kouzzina drum again, since you mentioned seafood! We really liked both the fisherman's stew (my DS had it twice and liked it both nights) and the whole pan-roasted fish (snapper the night I had it).

mrmcgiv
02-25-2010, 12:53 AM
we liked coral reef - kids were 4 and 7, the fish were fun to see. The food was decent, not great, the service was awesome. I would not pay Out of pocket for this but on the DDP I would go back. One thing I did not like was the 'acoustics' - it was VERY loud!!

DisneyBunch
02-25-2010, 08:26 AM
My only disappointment is the much-cited chocolate wave dessert, which I consider overrated and not worth any fuss.

We also enjoyed Coral Reef. The atmoshere is what makes it unique. As for the chocolate wave, I didn't care for it either, but I'm not really a drinker. All I could taste was alcohol. If you're used to drinking, it's probably not bad at all.:mickey:

Bay Lake
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
At the Coral Reef, try to time it when the DiveQuest Divers are in the tank. I think its around 5:30 or so, it fun to see all the diver swimming around. I know when I did DiveQuest the CM told us to keep swimming past the windows to the rest.( its amazing how clear it is looking in)
:diver:

murphy1
02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks Ellen for telling me about Kouzzina, I want to go there some time, yum!
And thanks for the diver tip! We were hoping to see them and our timing is perfect with when I made res. I usually stick to a Bass from UK and margarita from Mexico for my beverages of choice.

SBETigg
02-25-2010, 11:51 AM
I know! Ellen's reviews made Kouzzina sound so good. It's on my list, along with Sanaa. But we're doing all Signatures next trip, so maybe next time. If you haven't tried Flying Fish yet, Shari, that's another one I would add to the list for a future visit. So many restaurants, so little time!

Jared
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ellen for telling me about Kouzzina, I want to go there some time, yum!
And thanks for the diver tip! We were hoping to see them and our timing is perfect with when I made res. I usually stick to a Bass from UK and margarita from Mexico for my beverages of choice.
I will second the recommendation for Kouzzina. If you like Mediterranean and Greek food, it is fantastic. I tried it in January and look forward to returning.

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-25-2010, 01:23 PM
We went to Coral Reef in 2000 on our honeymoon... no big deal to us. Haven't been back since.

Narcossess is on our list so, can't give you any tips there... you'll have to fill me in!

Ohana breakfast is awesome! We always go here. Great interaction with the characters and the parade is fun. A few times, we have had the pleasure of the characters coming to our table more than once!

However, since finding out my 2 year old is allergic to eggs, we do not go to any restaruants for breakfast as we make our own in our room. But, we have replace breakfast with the O'hana dinner. They were very accomodating and treated my daughter so special (not like an inconvenience). I'm sure they would treat you DD the same with her "mental" allergy to onions! Just make sure to ask your server and when you check in about your no onions policy.

murphy1
02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I wonder if they could have Mickey scuba dive in front of us!! That would be cool! :mickey: