PDA

View Full Version : August Trip or DVC

jonahbear2006
02-23-2010, 04:44 PM
SO,.....we have a baby due first week in July. The plan was we would go last week in August to WDW to use our passholders for the last time before they expire on sept. 1st. My husband, not wanting to take a newborn and a postpartum mother (who btw is dying to go to disney) is bribing me by offering to buy me a DVC if I wait till February of next year to take our next trip to disney world. So my question is to all of you, what would you do? Still plan on going in August and get your fix or hold out, stay home and recover, and spend the money for a down payment on dvc?

DVC2004
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm a little biased but I'd wait and get DVC. We joined over 6 years ago now and boy are we glad we did. We go more often and stay in great places. I know a trip is hard to resist- but well worth it in this case.

faline
02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
You may underestimate how tired you are so soon after the birth of your little one. I do understand, though, the need for a break from routine after you expand your family. I'd suggest a quick weekend trip close to home if you are able.

If DVC fits into your family's budget, I would expect you will get many years of enjoyment from it. Plus, a trip with a 6 month old will likely be lots of fun!!

ThanxForNoticin
02-23-2010, 06:59 PM
It really is a decision that only you can make. But being an outsider from your decision, if these are 2 viable options, I would go with the DVC option. Take the summer to relax, recover, and enjoy the baby. Then if you can purchase with DVC, you are going to have years and years of enjoyment with your family and extended family and friends. We've been DVC members for almost 16 years, and it has been such an incredible blessing for us with how we have been able to enjoy it with all our family. We've taken parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins and friends throughout the years - it's been amazing. Not to mention, the DVC resorts are among the nicest on property at WDW.

Best of luck with your decision. But more importantly, congratulations for your upcoming addition!

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-24-2010, 09:03 AM
I say DVC all the way! Being owners for a few years now, we have gotten so much use out of it! We would have never stayed at the resorts we have stayed at because of the out of pocket price... even with a discount! We would probably be visiting less and staying at Value's everytime if we weren't DVC members.

Now we truly have a home away from home and makes you feel more attached knowing you own a piece of it! Also, take it from a mom of 2 who has been to disney pre, during and post kids/pregnancy, having a more "apartment" like accomodations is all worth it. Having a kitchen and a separate bedroom where you can put baby to bed and close the door is PRICELESS. :thumbsup:

MarkC
02-24-2010, 09:26 AM
DVC for two reasons.
1. You will love DVC and enjoy it for many, many years and especially since your child will grow up with Disney.

2. Like Faline pointed out, you will still be very tired easily and it will be very hot. You won't be able to do much of anything with a baby that young and that much heat. Wait until cooler weather, and until you and the baby are both better suited for it.

And by the way, congratulations!

diz_girl
02-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Another vote for DVC. Not just because I am a member, but because I just don't like the idea of taking a newborns to crowded places, especially if they are fewer than 2 months old. Although they still have antibodies from you at that time, they're immune systems are not well-developed. If a newborn under 2 months develops a fever over 100.4, then it's an immediate trip to the emergency room and the NICU, which would include a spinal tap.

However, newborns are really most comfortable in moderate temperatures (65-75 degrees). It is easier to keep a baby warm if it is cool outside than to keep them cool if it is warm outside, so I'd go for February. We were at WDW in Feb 07 and while it was chilly early in the week, the highs were in the 70s by mid-week.

Also, a 6-month-old is at the perfect age. They're incredibly cute, they don't yet have a will of their own and they're pretty easy to manage. A 6-month-old will actually sit happily at a TS restaurant for an hour. Just interact with them and give them a teether to gnaw on and they're fine.

I don't know what DVC property you plan to own, but BLT is on the monorail and you can push strollers directly on/off the monorails. Just be warned, pretty much only umbrella strollers can fit on the escalators to/from the monorail platform at CR, so you'll need to wait for an elevator if you bring a stroller bigger than umbrella-size. On our last trip, a couple ahead of us got off the monorail and went to the escalator and blocked traffic because their stroller was too big to fit on the escalator. There was a big line forming behind them and it took a few people to hoist the stroller over the railing to get to the elevator. But you can test your stroller when you first get on the monorail at the CR. If it fits up the escalator, then it will fit down the escalator. We had a Maclaren Triumph and had no problems.

blondeinbrandon
02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I am not one for planning anything right after your baby is due. I had a perfect pregnancy and still had a baby in long term NICU. My son is perfect now at 10 years old, no real signs of his difficult birth. But I know I was a wreck for months after he was born. Even my second son that came home after 4 days in the hospital perfect, you still have to heal. I had two c-sections and healing time is vital.
Hopefully you will have a perfect delivery and bounce right back. But you still won’t have a goodnights sleep for a month or so.
I’m voting for DVC and a trip with your bouncing 6 month old!!!! :mickey:
Good Luck!!!

jonahbear2006
02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
We have had a nicu baby, too, and the pregnancy was normal; one of DH's concerns is what if.....
Well, this helps a lot. We will have a great downpayment for dvc by the time next year's taxes come, so yes, it is a viable option bc our beginner's dvc package will be half paid for, upfront. So, that will make this like a pretty common sized carpayment for us till it is paid off. 5 years from now, when it IS paid off, we will breathe a sigh of relief and with only dues to pay, this could be amazing. I am sadly going to miss this year's trip but it is good to have all of your support; jeez this sounds like an addiction..Thanks again to all of you.