PDA

View Full Version : do you consider not doing september due to heat?

dyin tago
02-23-2010, 08:58 AM
hi,

wife and I heve done florida 5 times in florida because of it being a perfect month for waterparks and the beaches and free dining is great also.

we are considering early september again this year but the only reason we are undecided about maybe doing la instead is the intense heat and humidity in florida at this time.

has anyone else considered this because of the heat?

faline
02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Actually, I like going in early September. It feels very summery and park attendance is typically down at this time.

PopPhan
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Our favorite time to be in Florida, and WDW, is mid-to-late September. Temps are quite warm and humidity is up, but very manageable after coming off a long, hot summer. Although still in peak hurricane season, there has yet to have been a threat during our trips over the past 8 years -- only the typical tropical afternoon showers.

Of the times we have visited - early-January; mid-February; mid-to-late September; and early-December - we enjoy the September times the best.

coneygoil
02-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I've been to WDW in late Sept. twice and it was warm and still felt like summer. It might get a tiny bit of a chill at night, but not much.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
When I go to Florida I want heat and humidity.

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
We go to Disney every year in September usually the last week of September and in my opinion the humidity and heat really are not all that bad. As long as you stay hydrated and use the shade it is very manageable. We even go with small kids and they don’t seem to mind. Hope you have a great trip!

Scar
02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
I never go in Sept. because I would rather wait a few weeks and go during the Food and Wine Festival. I was there this past last week of Oct. and it was 90+/90+. It can be hot and humid there almost anytime.

wife and I heve done florida 5 times in florida because ...How many times have you done Florida not in Florida? ;)

caryrae
02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
We go most times in Sept. We like the heat and humidity because living in Minnesota we need to soak it all in since we know that 6 months of winter is coming.

Dragongirlx
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
The heat and humidity is one of the reasons I go then. I hate the cold and love the heat so I am really looking forward to going then.
It's especially bad just now because it is about its -1c here (about 30F) and tommorrow and Thursday its going to snow again

megustamex
02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
We refused to go in September for years after boiling one year. Then we experienced 30 degree days in Disney in January and decided that having the heat and guaranteed swimming was way better!

Ms. Mode
02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
When we went in the summer it was always August...now THAT's hot! :thumbsup:

g8rgirl29
02-23-2010, 11:49 AM
We seem to always plan September!! I love the heat of September and that park attendance is lower. We love going to the waterparks this time of year too!! For me it is perfect temp wise. I went once in July.... WOW, now that is HOT!! Although we did make a quick 4 day trip this January, right after they had the freezes, and I did love just wearing a light coat in the am, packing was soooooo much easier(1 outfit per day as opposed to 2/day minimum). But, I really missed the waterparks and swimming.

Diznut
02-23-2010, 12:42 PM
We went the week after labor day in '08. It was HOT ... upper 90's and low 100's every day. Very sunny and humid. I personally felt it did affect our time there. It was exhausting and our energy levels were lower then I think they would be otherwise. We stayed hydrated and spuirted ourselves often with those fan bottles, but it was uncomfortable. I'm from the Northeast though and not used to that kind of weather. So it was a challenge.

QTPie68
02-23-2010, 02:36 PM
We have gone in September a couple of times. The first time it was not so hot - mid 80's. The second time it was almost every day in the 90's. That trip the weather took a lot out of us.

This year we talked about going again in September for the lower crowds and a chance at free dining if offered. Then we remembered the last September we went and decided to do the trip in April (since Easter is early this year), hoping for warmer, but not hot hot weather.

Of course, we also have had the opposite. January when they had a freeze warning and couldn't run the monorails. It was colder in Orlando than it was in Washington DC a couple of days that trip :confused:.

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-23-2010, 04:38 PM
September used to be our month of choice. We always went the week after Labor day. Talk about NO CROWDS! Even while I was prego, September was least crowded and that's was worth more to me than the temp.

October became our new month of choice because of my b-day, MNSSHP and Food and wine Fest. The crowds are still almost non-exsistant when we go in Oct.

TiggerD
02-23-2010, 06:18 PM
We love it in September, yes, it is still warm and humid, but the crowds are less and we have learned to adapt by doing park early morning, swim at resort in the heat of the day and then go back out at night to a park. We were there this past September and yes it was hot but we had so much fun and will do it again in September of 2011... This year it is the cruise we are trying....:mickey:

BashfulMom
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I can't remember the last time I was in Florida in September, but next year we will be spending a week (last week of Sept). After reading all the posts I'm getting the impression that the heat and humidity could be brutal.

How hot does it typically get in September?

faline
02-24-2010, 09:35 AM
The beginning of the month features both high humidity and temperatures. It begins to moderate a little bit by the end of the month.

Disnamic Duo
02-24-2010, 10:41 AM
My wife and I have been in September once - for free dining - andt we won't go back again in September because it was so hot and humid. I'm sure it's hotter in July or August, but we didn't enjoy it. The crowds were the best we've ever experienced at WDW, but it's not worth it to us. We prefer mid-Nov or late-Jan. It can get a little chilly sometimes, but we much prefer that to the heat.

Carolanne
02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I try not to go in Sept, but I'm not always successful. I just don't do well in the heat (the vapors, you know, lol). My most recent Sept trip, while I stood waiting for the bus at Epcot back to OKW, the sweat just poured off of me--and all I was doing was standing, in the shade, drinking water, and dreaming of a cold shower.

I really prefer November, before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Used to go in early December, but after being at MVMCP in 36 degree weather without anything heavier than my Tink hoodie...no thanks!

PETE FROM NYC
02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Most of our past trips were mid-March. Last year we did a September trip arriving at WDW on the 4th, for nine days. DW wanted to be there for her birthday on the 5th.
Yes, it was HOT, but we endured. We finally got to see MNSSHP for the first time. Heck, we just booked again for this September.

Disney Doll
02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
We took our 1st sept trip last year and went the last week of the month. It was okay. We have little ones so we are usually taking our nap break in the heat of the day. I was pregnant last year which probably made it seem hotter for me. DH says he felt comfortable and he's the type of guy who won't wear shorts so I guess it must not have been too bad. The crowds were really nice so we are going to try sept one more time (not pregnant). I do prefer Oct, but it's a more difficult time for DH to be away from work. We like early Feb too, but sometimes it can be cold.

QTPie68
02-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I try not to go in Sept, but I'm not always successful. I just don't do well in the heat (the vapors, you know, lol). My most recent Sept trip, while I stood waiting for the bus at Epcot back to OKW, the sweat just poured off of me--and all I was doing was standing, in the shade, drinking water, and dreaming of a cold shower.

That was us too! I remember getting one of those 24 oz bottle of ice cold water and draining it practically in one gulp - - and I hate drinking water. DH just turned around and bought another for himself...and this happened around 11:00 so the heaviest heat had not even hit yet.

I spent years in Louisiana and it gets hot here too, but I got to tell you, that was some of the most brutal weather.....every day upper 90's degrees. When the last day came and it was 88 it felt like a cold front came in ;).

Carolanne
02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I spent years in Louisiana and it gets hot here too, but I got to tell you, that was some of the most brutal weather.....every day upper 90's degrees. When the last day came and it was 88 it felt like a cold front came in ;).

LOL YES, us too! I remember watching the nightly news, seeing the temp the next day was going to be in the high 80's & thinking "wow--that's almost freezing!"

SBETigg
02-24-2010, 09:46 PM
I can't do September or October anymore because of schedules. I'm eager to try the week after Labor Day, and to go back for the Food & Wine Festival. The kids are growing up, so it's in my future. The heat won't stop me.