PDA

View Full Version : Mad Today...

DVC2004
02-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I have been working somewhere for a bout 3 months now. A friend of mine works there, too and referred me to this place. Although it's not my dream job, I am working hard and take my job seriously. I had been out of work for months so I was greatful to get anything. I am still looking for a more suitable job and will likely move on in a little bit but anyway...

I have 2 coworkers that do the same job as I. One is great- we really support eachother and carry an even workload. The other is, well, a complainer. She doesn't do as much work, does not help out, and complains all day about everything. Mostly I ignore it because I don't want to waste the energy. I am paid to be there so I put in the effort and do what they hired me for. Recently it came out that both me and the other more helpful coworker had several more porjects going on than the complainer. She of course thinks something is fishy (not becuase we are taking more on while she sits back, which is the only reason we are working on more than she is).

Yesterday I found out from 2 different people that this coworker is going around making accusations that I am getting "fed" extra work from my friend who works there. She even went so far as to have an acquaintance of hers who also works there keep tabs on anything that gets sent to me! I am really annoyed by this. Number one, it's not her job to police me. Number 2, if she did what she was supposed to she wouldn't have time to be worried about me. It's totally untrue- I have gotten all my work by taking it on while she sits back. I can prove it. And she's new too- only been there 2 months more than I have. Everyone has a fair shot at what comes in the door. She will sit back and not take it, and so of course myself and my other coworker take it. Somebody has to.

I want to say something but I don't know if I should confront her directly (and by confront I mean ask her point blank- not start a fight) or tell our supervisor. I'm new, I don't want to look bad, but I don't care for her sneakiness and accusations. It's not her place. If she had any concerns she should have gone to our boss instead of having people snoop on me!

Jeniflower
02-23-2010, 09:05 AM
i'd speak to her about this first, keeping it friendly etc and then if you don't get satsifactory answer or she denies it etc, speak to the line manager. Or if you are uncomforable speaking to her direct ask for a joint meeting with your line manager or an independant person to moderate

forever a child
02-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd leave it alone. She has no authority over you so keeping doing a good job and it will become obvious when she can't "keep up" with you and the other workers. Congrats on at least having a job and on your continued job hunt! :thumbsup:

murphy1
02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Good luck Diane!! I hate politics and this kind of stuff. You are a good lady, it will work out for you, you don't deserve to be treated like that!

Tiggerlovr9000
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I would not say anything. Some people just need chaos to be happy. What I want to know is how you know she is doing all of these things. Did someone tell you? I have a problem with people that tell me things that other people say about me. If someone says so and so didnt like your outfit what am I suppose to do with that. It made me feel bad but never would have known if a so called friend hadnt told me. So I would tell whoever is telling you these things to please not tell you and wait till you see it for yourself. All this whispering behind the water cooler cant be good for business..

BigRedDad
02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
This is an exact issue you need to discuss with your manager. That is what they are paid for. You are not the one to get involved in office politics. He or she should be aware of the situation and responsible for fact gathering and resolution.

I don't know what type of position it is or what you do. However, in the company I work for, everyone has a set level of expected work. If we are doing more, then it is noticed. The minute you start playing politics, the lines are drawn in the sand for all employees whether they are involved in it or not.

NewDVCowner
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I agree that you should bring this up with the supervisor. If nothing else it creates a hostile work environment and the company should not allow that. Additionally, if on the off chance that the managers are listening to and believing her, then your job could be negatively affected.