PDA

View Full Version : How is Veteran's Day week??

Dsnygirl
02-23-2010, 03:05 AM
It's a long way off still, but we're considering a quick "surprise trip" down to Disney in November during Veteran's Day week, as our girls have two days off prior to the weekend, and it'd make taking them out of school for two more days very easy to justify. :secret:

But, we've never visited during this time period... late October & December, but never November.

It looks like the Food & Wine Festival is being extended this year to cover Veteran's Day week, which is AWESOME for us, and another reason the week is so tempting...

... not to mention that my husband is a golf fanatic, and the fact that the Children's Miracle Network PGA Tournament falls the wknd after Veteran's Day just happens to be another major pull for us....

... AND the fact that we'd be flying down on MY birthday.... :D

So -- obviously we aren't looking to be talked out of the trip, but we also don't want to be there during an insanely busy time, either. I can't imagine it'd be as busy as Columbus Day wknd and the like, but just wondering what other folks have experienced over this time.

I'm guessing Veteran's Day itself is busy, as FL kids are probably off, but what about the rest of the days that week, and the wknd following??

Thanks for any info -- we're still in the deciding phase, so it'd be great to go into it knowing what to expect!

:thanks:

BigRedDad
02-23-2010, 07:34 AM
According to another site, it should be moderate crowds. This is after Jersey week and before Thanksgiving crowds. The day may be a little busier because this is the opening of the Osborne Lights.

RedSoxFan
02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm curious too. We would like to go to WDW in November or December; but I'm not sure about taking Kourtney out of school for a week as she'll be in the 8th grade. I'm patiently waiting for the school calendar to be released to see what days are scheduled off for conference, etc.

civilmousefan
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I was there in 2009 during Veterans Day week. With the exception of Epcot for the Food & Wine Fest - which closed the weekend before Veterans Day, the crowds were not too bad.

We were there for the one of the first MVMCP's and the second night of Osborne Lights. For the MVMCP there seem to be heavy crowds. We attended the MVMCP the night before Veterans Day, and suspect that because of no school the next day there seem to be a lot of people in attendance.

Our problem was the weather. It was very cool and it started raining about 30 minutes into the MVMCP. It made for a very uncomfortable time where we were not able to enjoy any of the special events scheduled at the MVMCP. We stayed through the fireworks and couldn't wait to get back to our resort.

However, I realize that the weather was just bad luck, and would not hesitate to visit WDW in November if given the opportunity in the future.

RedSoxFan
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Out of curiosity, are there any decorations up during Veteran's Week? Either Halloween or Christmas? I've been to WDW for both; but wouldn't mind being there with no decorations. DH wants to go in December for the Christmas decorations.

A Mouse Fan
02-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I have been to WDW in November (during Veterans Day) a few times. It's really not too bad at all. The most crowded place is Epcot because of the Wine and Food Festival. I really like going in November...the temp is nice and not too much humidity! I say go for it! We are going in late October/November this year for my big 40th Birthday :party: and I can't wait.

You may see some Christmas decorations starting to go up around Veterans day, however the Halloween decorations will be gone.

WDWFanatic
02-23-2010, 04:27 PM
We've gone twice during this time 06 and 08 and they were both awesome times to go. We had great weather. Warm enough for swimming but not too hot. It would get a little cold at night, but not bad. They also put up the Christmas decorations while we were there and that was great to watch. We also saw the Osborne lights, but I don't think they start them that early an longer.

The only down fall I can think of is you come home and have to jump right into the holiday season and if you haven't started anything yet it feels rushed (but you'll probably get a great picture for your holiday card:thumbsup:). The other downside is you still have ALL winter ahead of you. We went in April last year and it was nice to come home to mostly nice weather.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you in November.

Dsnygirl
02-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks for all the good info & advice!! I'm sure hoping we decide to do it!

The only down fall I can think of is you come home and have to jump right into the holiday season and if you haven't started anything yet it feels rushed (but you'll probably get a great picture for your holiday card:thumbsup:).

I can imagine... we went in '08 Dec 9-16 and felt the exact same way, even though we'd tried to have everything done for Christmas before we left. When we got home, it was like being dumped straight into the holiday, and it felt very rushed. So, I'm hoping that maybe being early November, having felt this way once already later in the holiday season, maybe it won't feel so crazy to us.

The only thing I'm not sure about is seeing the Christmas decorations go up, etc... as beautiful as they are, it's almost a "been there, done that" for us, as our favorite time of year at Disney is Halloween -- fall is our favorite time of year, period. So, November to us is still fall and Thanksgiving and fall colors, not Christmastime at all.

That being said -- I LOVE the Osborne lights, and had actually said to my husband that I'd go back for Christmas just to see them, if I could skip the rest of it. So -- maybe this would be the best of both worlds! :thumbsup: