PDA

View Full Version : Day 3, Monday 1/25, CBR

Mousefever
02-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Tom – husband and dad, and up way too early!
Me (Amy) – 38, mom and planner
Jacob – 11, very surprised kid

Day 3 began a little slowly. We had decided to let Jacob sleep until he woke up on his own. He has a cold with a cough, and we want to make sure it doesn’t turn into something worse. Also, it was supposed to rain at some point in the morning and we

Tom, however, had gone to bed pretty early and so was up at 5:00 am. He went to sit out by the lake for a while, but it started pouring and he had breakfast at Port Royale until it abated. By the time Jacob and I woke up at 8:15 am, Tom was chomping at the bit to get moving. My body’s clock was in slow motion, though, so he still had to wait around for me to get ready. Also, our mousekeeper knocked on the door at 8:30 am, ready to clean our room. Jeez! I wanted a slower pace for this morning, but forces were conspiring to rush me!

I was finally ready at 9:10 am and we headed to the Martinique bus stop to grab a bus to Downtown Disney. I felt quite chilly and I wanted to buy some sort of sweatshirt or jacket. I found a blue fleecy zip-up with Tinkerbell on the front. Tom also got a sweatshirt, Grumpy, of course. Jacob spent most of the time in DD trying to find cast members with new Goofy pins. The only way I was able to get him into the “girl” section of stores was to remind him that he needed to check the lanyards of cast members there.

We made our assorted purchases and ate at the Earl of Sandwich. I can’t tell you how much I love this place! Their bread is out of this world, and I love the All American sandwich! I was glad to see that they put the PB & J back on the kid’s menu. In March it had been noticeably absent! We concluded our shopping and caught a bus to the Contemporary, with the intention to take the monorail to Magic Kingdom. We stopped at the Contemporary’s gift shop, because we like it and Tom was still looking for a specific polo shirt. After a short monorail ride we arrived at MK at 2:15 pm.

I was dreading Magic Kingdom at this time of day, because any other time I’ve been there in the early afternoon, it has been really busy. However, the park did not seem that full as we made our way up Main Street. In fact, when we got to Space Mountain, there was only a 40 minute wait, and the fast passes were being issued for a window of 3:30 to 4:30! After snagging the FP’s we headed straight for Buzz, where there was less than a five minute wait. Jacob beat both Tom and me. Next up, TTA. I was interested in hearing the new soundtrack. Well, I really miss the old one. The new one sounds like it’s being read by a Kim Possible , adolescent boy.

We hadn’t been on the Carousel of Progress lately, so we decided to watch it. I’ve been hearing about the very loud, strident cast members who run the ride, and don’t let anyone get up and leave the theater. Well, everything you’ve heard is true. The announcements are very loud! A lady left with her son in the middle of the first segment. Not only did the cast member loudly remind us several times not to get out of our seats, but we had to watch the whole scene over again. This caused several other people to leave, only to leave the rest of us at the mercy of the strident cast member yelling into the loud speaker. The same thing happened in the next segment. People left, loud cast member, and we had to repeat the second segment. By the third segment, everyone was afraid to move, and we saw the last two segments without repetition. I ended up annoyed by the cast member and the people who wouldn’t just stay in their seats! There really need to be loud disclaimers outside of this attraction warning people what will happen if they get up and leave! Maybe that would weed out some who would casually get up and leave!

Oh well, no big deal. Since it took so long to complete Carousel of Progress, it was now time to use our fast passes at Space Mountain. I must admit, although I like Space Mountain, my neck does not share my sentiments. Once was definitely enough. We had an ADR at the Plaza Restaurant at 6:00 pm, so we still had some time to kill. We made our way to Fantasy Land and rode Snow White’s Scary Adventure, It’s a Small World, and the Haunted Mansion. Despite Jacob’s aversion to 3-D, he relented and saw Mickey’s Philharmagic. The woman behind me was obviously seeing it for the first time. I could hear the delight in her laughter. After the show, I told her that it was a pleasure hearing her enjoy it so much.

It was now almost time for our ADR at the Plaza. I have to say that I was very unimpressed. Their menu is uninspiring and the service was just OK. I was glad we were not paying big bucks for this dining experience! When we finished, we meandered through the Emporium. You would think that we had done enough shopping, but we just had to check all the cast members for Goofy pins. At the train station end of the Emporium we stepped outside to take in the Spectro Magic Parade. It was at that time, when I was going to take some pictures, that I realized that I didn’t have my camera. Thinking that I had set it down in the Emporium, I retraced my steps in the store to try and track it down, while the guys watched the parade. Needless to say, I missed most of it. I hadn’t found my camera by the end of the parade, so I went to City Hall, while Tom checked back at the Plaza. Luckily, he found it there.

Time for dessert at the Main Street Bakery! I didn’t actually eat it there, but I got an apple pie square. Because Jacob was still uncomfortable with the noise from fireworks, he stayed in the bakery while Tom and I stepped outside to watch Wishes. It was lovely, and we could see Jacob from where we were standing. Off to the bus stop, where we waited perhaps 5 minutes, and even got seats!

mouseketeer mom
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
The COP sounds like it turned into a pretty aggravating time.
What is the All American Sandwich at Earl of Sandwich?
A great day!

faline
02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Goodness - I certainly hope we don't run into that cast member at Carousel of Progress on our next trip! (We have run into some rather grumpy cast members there in the past).

Another nice day for you and your family!

KylesMom
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
So much for waking up on the slow plan, huh? I've noticed my DH is similar to yours in the fact that he wakes up really early and he likes Grumpy merchandise. Hmmm - connection? LOL :D

Gotta love shopping at DTD. Sounds like your excursion was successful.

I completely agree that signs need to be posted and announcements need to be made on CoP. When it stops / repeats / CM yells, you lose the whole experience. Space Mountain was closed when we visited in June, so we're really looking forward to the "new and improved" version . . . :thumbsup:

Thank goodness you were able to find your camera!

Nice ending to the day with Spectro & Wishes. Oh, and that short bus line back to the resort. :mickey:

princessgirls
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
One of these days I'm going to have to get to Earl of Sandwich. Everyone has good things to say!

Great day!

Julie:mickey:

DizNee143
02-23-2010, 10:53 AM
another good day!!
lots of shopping!! i like it!! :mickey:

Mousefever
02-23-2010, 01:23 PM
The All American...a sandwich near and dear to my taste buds! It's a heated turkey, cranberry, cheddar sandwich on that wonderful bread. It comes with a ranch spread, but I always ask for mayo instead. I love their bread pudding too!

I notice that I have a dangling sentence at the end of the first paragraph. Feel free to substitute any words that you want! (Within the bounds of good taste, of course.)

Yes, Carol. There IS a connection! They wake up early and then are Grumpy that they have to wait around for the wives!

Amy

TikiGoddess
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm sitting here, slightly hungry, reading your trip reports. I was going to try and go to bed without eating anything, but now you've made me so hungry talking about Earl of Sandwich.

So off I go to get something to eat. And it's all your fault.

:D

Kathy

Magic Smiles
02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
They wake up early and then are Grumpy that they have to wait around for the wives!

Amy

I am the opposite. I wake up early and then have to wait for DS and DH. I get ready and then go and get everyone's breakfast to bring back to the room. On good days they are up and getting ready by then. Drives me crazy having to wait for them:thedolls:

vizsla
02-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the report.

yjgirl32
03-01-2010, 09:24 AM
What a great day. So glad to hear you had a wonderful time.

pdrlkr
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyorBust
03-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Agree with you regarding Earl of Sandwich! We, DW and I, tried it for the first time just last month. Great sandwiches! Thanks for the report.