PDA

View Full Version : Day 8, Saturday 1/30, CBR

Mousefever
02-23-2010, 01:57 AM
Tom – husband and dad, and up way too early!
Me (Amy) – 38, mom and planner
Jacob – 11, very surprised kid

Tom woke at the crack of dawn again, but he was nice enough to let Jacob and I sleep until about 8 am. Jacob really wanted to go on Rockin’ Rollercoaster again (Oh my head.) so we left for Hollywood Studios. Although we had fun on our previous Toy Story Mania ride, we decided not to try it again today. To be honest, I’m looking forward to buying the Wii version of the game. We headed straight to Rockin’ Rollercoaster and walked straight into the Aerosmith room. Crowds seemed larger today, but we were able to walk on both Rockin’ Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror. I guess everyone was still in line for TSM. I am sure I’m not the first person to sacrifice for their child by going on a ride they didn’t want to and I made it through RR with just a touch of a headache. Tom gets a pass on any ride he doesn’t think he should go on, because of a previous closed head injury. I had a lot more fun on Tower of Terror. We met Tom in the gift shop and walked back down Sunset Blvd.

I’ve always wanted to see Beauty and the Beast and the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, but that’s one sacrifice my boy is not willing to make, and I didn’t want to go by myself. It was starting to sprinkle and we thought about stopping at Starring Rolls for a bite, but the line was long! No problem, I thought, we’ll go over to ABC Commissary, get out of the rain, and find something to eat. Nope! There was a sign suggesting that we go to Starring Rolls if we wanted something for breakfast. No wonder everyone and their brother were in line over there!

We didn’t really have anything else we wanted to do at HS, but there was an American Idol Experience about to start and we decided to try it. The man who was in charge of warming up the audience was pretty good. The three girls that were picked to perform, not so much. The second girl seemed like she had the most potential, but her vocals were supported so much by background vocals that I couldn’t hear her very well! Neither of the other two gals had vocal support. They had to sink or swim on their own. I was baffled and irritated by the seeming inequality. Of course, the second girl won. Anyway, we were glad that we saw it once. It may be more interesting to go the finale show at the end of the day, when the best singers of the day perform.

I was feeling droopy, and a little homesick (for CO, not CBR), so we left the park and went back to CBR for lunch. There was a cast member at the “outdoor” part of the gift shop who was singing along with the “6 foot, 7 foot, 8 foot bunch!” song. Even though the CBR pin board was only supposed to be out at certain times of day, she pulled it out when she saw Jacob’s lanyard. I don’t know what it was about her, but she made me feel less homesick. It’s these little experiences that make Disney trips so special to me.

Our ADR for the evening was at Le Cellier. We made it to World Showcase in plenty of time. As we walked down the path to the restaurant, there was a group of Brazilian teens sitting on the small bridge. They cheered for us as we approached, just being silly I think. I magnanimously thanked them as if I were an actual celebrity and left them giggling. We were seated before our 6 pm ADR and the restaurant was not that busy. Tom ordered the NY strip and I the filet, while Jacob ordered the pan-seared scallops. I tried his scallops and lamented that I hadn’t ordered them instead. The filet was fine, but not as good as I had remembered. The maple crčme brulee was wonderful, as always.

We walked counter clockwise through World Showcase, mostly stopping at shops. Jacob found some unique Goofy pins on cast member lanyards. We wanted to make it to the Gateway gift shop by 9 pm. Jacob was apprehensive about the noise from the fireworks, so we that Jacob would wait inside the gift ship during Illuminations, and Tom and I would watch from right outside. We made it with a good 10 minutes to spare. This is the first time Tom and I have been able to see Illuminations together since 2005. Every trip since, Jacob has wanted to be on the way back to the resort before Illuminations started. Maybe someday he will enjoy fireworks someday.

Viewing Illuminations from the Gateway had the added advantage of a quick exit from the park. We were in line for CBR for about a minute before the first bus pulled up. We were among the first on the bus, so Jacob and Tom gave up their seats for a family with tired kids. We were back in our room by 9:45 pm and we watched some Winter X Games before we turned out the lights.

KylesMom
02-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, I guess that answers my earlier question - Jacob likes RnRC, huh?!

Some day you'll have to take in BatB and VotLM. Every couple of years DH and DS humor me & I get to see them. :thumbsup: Now Idol? That's something that I doubt we'll ever end up seeing! LOL Nice that the CM at CBR brought your mood up with the Banana Boat Song.

LeCellier is among our favorite dinners - glad your meals were enjoyable and that DH and yourself were able to share Illuminations together. Another awfully wonderful day with your family!!! :mickey:

faline
02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Well, at least Jacob can tolerate being in the park during the fireworks so that sounds like a step in the right direction!

Next time, you're in the Studios and looking for a place for a snack, try the Writer's Shop.

DizNee143
02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
well your son is getting closer with the whole firework thing..maybe in a few more years you will all be able to enjoy the fireworks together..:mickey:

BigThunderFan
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Have you gotten the Wii version of Toy Story yet? DS7 got it for Christmas this year and we all have fun on it. Not quite the same as really riding, but at least you get to play longer!

SBETigg
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm glad Jacob held on for you to catch Illuminations. You've had some fun times.

mouseketeer mom
02-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Agreed about Le Cellier, last time we were there, it just wasn't as great as I remembered.
Hope you can catch Beauty and the Beast another time, it really is a wonderful show.

princessgirls
02-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Next time you go to HS take in a showing of Beauty and the Beast. I did this past trip, my girls ditched in to go to American Idol! I had a wonderful time by myself.

Glad you were able to enjoy Illuminations!

Julie:mickey:

yjgirl32
03-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I enjjoyed our meal Le Cellier- but like Ohana's more. Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
03-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
03-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyorBust
03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
LeCellier and 'Ohanas....love them both!
Great to read that you and your husband were able to enjoy Illuminations together, hopefully your son will be enjoying it with you some trip soon.