PDA

View Full Version : vacation package

motherof4
02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
My final payment is coming up this week but unfortunately I don't think I am going to have enough money aaa suggested that I just book room only and get my park passes at a later date. they also said I could add a dining plan also at a later date but they suggested that I don't do the dp because they would have to re book and because I am going on apr vaca I might loose my res Is it a good idea to pay for my food out of pocket for 5 people

forever a child
02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, I wouldn't book through AAA. You can book room only through Magical Journeys or WDW web site and save more than what I believe AAA member discount will be.

I agree you would have to rebook with DDP. I dont think you have to use DDP to save $. You just need to plan ahead like maybe eating breakfast in room, taking your own bottled H2O, snack, researching good options for counter service and sit downs. I think you can still save $ more than DDP discounts with good preplanning.

faline
02-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Did you have your AAA agent call Disney to see if you can be a little late and not lose your reservation? Was your reservation part of a special offer? If so, it might not be available again between now and the time you go on your trip.

Do the math. What will a room only reservation cost you? Compute what food will cost you and detrmine if the total will be less, more, or about the same as you were planning to spend with your package. If money is an issue, are there other places you can cut by switching to a room only reservation?

You can rebook a package again between now and the time that you go. However, because you'll be within your 45 day window, you'll need to pay in full up front for the package.

Are your dining reservations tied to your current package? Will you lose them by switching to a room only reservation?

I think you might need some additional discussion with your agent.

CleveRocks
02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Well, I wouldn't book through AAA. You can book room only through Magical Journeys or WDW web site and save more than what I believe AAA member discount will be.

I agree you would have to rebook with DDP. I dont think you have to use DDP to save $. You just need to plan ahead like maybe eating breakfast in room, taking your own bottled H2O, snack, researching good options for counter service and sit downs. I think you can still save $ more than DDP discounts with good preplanning.I agree with the second paragraph but I don't understand the first paragraph.

I don't understand how booking with Magical Journeys or with WDW directly would be less expensive than using a AAA discount.

Magical Journeys doesn't offer its own discounts. Magical Journeys is great at knowing WDW's existing discounts and helping you book for the lowest possible price (including suggesting you make a change if it will help you qualify for a discount that you wouldn't have otherwise qualified for).

For a room-only reservation, the AAA discount can be applied no matter how you book. You can use the AAA discount on a room-only reservation WITHOUT booking through AAA as a travel agent. For example, if you book a room-only reservation through Magical Journeys, you can use your AAA discount with that reservation (as long as that discount is available for your dates, resort and room category).

CleveRocks
02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Are your dining reservations tied to your current package? Will you lose them by switching to a room only reservation?

Disney Dining reservations aren't attached to a resort reservation. They're attached to the guest's home telephone number (or whatever phone number the guest provides). One doesn't need to be staying at a Disney resort to make those dining reservations to begin with.

That being said, if a guest is cancelling a resort stay that was bookied through a travel agent AND that same travel agent also booked all the ADRs for the guest, it will be VITAL for the guest to ask the travel agent to NOT cancel the ADRs. But the ADRs won't automatically cancel just because a resort reservation was cancelled.

BigRedDad
02-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Simply put...AAA does not care about how much you spend. They do not look for discounts for you. MJ does. Also, the ADRs get canceled with the reservation cancellation. I found that out as well when I canceled and rebooked my trip.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-23-2010, 07:20 PM

I agree with the second paragraph but I don't understand the first paragraph.

I don't understand how booking with Magical Journeys or with WDW directly would be less expensive than using a AAA discount.

I THINK what forever a child was saying was that right now, Disney is offering discounts to the general public that make AAA discounts look tiny, and that using a Disney public discount (booked with Disney direct or MJ) would be a better deal than AAA offers at the moment. If that is what forever a child meant, I agree, I don't understand why anyone would have a reservation booked at AAA rates right now, since the public discounts are so much better.

Just my guess...

EDIT: After thinking it over, I guess you could be booked using AAA as your agent, but still get the public discount Disney offers everyone (and not the AAA rate), so now using AAA does make more sense.

forever a child
02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I THINK what forever a child was saying was that right now, Disney is offering discounts to the general public that make AAA discounts look tiny, and that using a Disney public discount (booked with Disney direct or MJ) would be a better deal than AAA offers at the moment. If that is what forever a child meant, I agree, I don't understand why anyone would have a reservation booked at AAA rates right now, since the public discounts are so much better.

Just my guess...

EDIT: After thinking it over, I guess you could be booked using AAA as your agent, but still get the public discount Disney offers everyone (and not the AAA rate), so now using AAA does make more sense.

thanks for translating for me Goofy4TheWorld! You are correct!!!!:exactly:

distrips
02-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Ask your agent, they should be able to get a payment extension for you without any problem.

Happy travels
Sandy