PDA

View Full Version : Flying with little ones

Eric87
02-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Later this year, we are going to fly down for our DD's first trip and I had a question regarding the air pressure during the flight. She will be 9 months when we travel, and I would like to know if anyone has had experience with ear plugs to prevent the pressure from bothering her ears? Any info will help. Please let me know of your experience and if you recommend a certain brand. Thanks in advance!

laprana
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I use Ear Planes every time I fly and they work great! They regulate the pressure in your ears and keep them from "popping" and getting plugged up. I know that they have a kid's version of Ear Planes, but I don't know if they would fit a 9-month-old. But they might be worth looking into! :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
02-22-2010, 01:12 PM
My DD has been flying since the age of 6 months. When she was that age I gave her a bottle during the decent into the landing. Never bothered her. You can also try a teething cookie(messy) or any toy she can put in her mouth. I never tried the ear plugs.

BigRedDad
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
My DD was 2 when she first flew. She had ear tubes at the time. She had no issue with the flight at all. I just gave her juice in a sippy cup and some snacks. I am not sure which combination made it easiest, but these are all used to stabilize the pressure.

birdsell
02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Last summer we flew with my son (1 year). We were going to let him nurse if he wanted, but he sat on my lap and "let" his daddy hold him while he slept the whole flight. He would fall asleep on take-off and we typically had to wake him up to get off the plane.

BrerGnat
02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
The air pressure did not bother my son when he was 6 months old.

It DID bother him when we flew again and he was 2.

Earplanes are made for kids 2 and up. We didn't have them on the flight that bothered our son, but are bringing some on our flight to WDW next month.

What we discovered was that it's the descent that caused the pain, not the takeoff.

For a 9 month old, using a bottle is the best bet. Maybe even just full of water. The sucking and swallowing will help with ear discomfort, both during takeoff and landing.

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
We took my DD when she was 9 months. She nursed during take off and fell asleep. She slept through the landing.

On the way home, she was asleep for most of the trip but, woke up as we started to make the decent. Again, she nursed until we landed and proceeded to stay up all night - even through the 1 hour ride home from the airport. :D

javamama
02-22-2010, 04:06 PM
I would have a bottle of formula/water ready. I really wouldn't worry about those ear planes, the bottles usually work best, and you can get it thru TSA cheackpoint since it's for an infant without a problem!

crazypoohbear
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I would just give the baby either a bottle, breast or pacifier.
The ear plugs would be too big for the baby and might make him more fussy having something stuck in his ears.
Also, bring a little toy or something to keep baby distracted, even that little thing could work.
Have a great trip!

Eric87
02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for the responses. As always Intercot comes through. Looks like for this trip we will make sure to have a bottle ready!