PDA

View Full Version : Are These "Vouchers" Good For New Tickets?

Goofy4TheWorld
02-21-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a friend who, about 6 years ago, found herself in MK, with her nephew for his first trip, on what turned out to be gay day at MK. Long story short, she needed to leave. Guest relations gave her something that I need some advise on identifying what it is and what it can do.

She says that gave her a single "card" that had a hand-written confirmation number on it that, as she understood it, would give her free admission for one day sometime in the future. She got one hand-written confirmation card that she says was supposed to authorize her to get one free day for EACH of the FOUR people she was with.

I told her all she has to do was go to guest relations and they would give her four 1-day passes, and then she could use the value of those one-day passes to upgrade them to 4-day passes for her next trip. But now I am starting to second-guess myself, especially since she only got a single hand-written card that was supposed to be good for 4 individual passes.

Are these mystical "cards" really going to give her four single-day passes that she can upgrade to 4-day passes for her next trip? Or are these cards not upgradeable? Or is this even legit?

DizneyRox
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Had something similar happen at USF. They honored it at their guest relations, but it was only a year later.

I doubt you can upgrade them. I've received a few complementary tickets in my day, and the value of them is nothing, and that's what they are worth towards an upgrade.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't give her actual tickets however. We had a Disney problem once and GR printed out a stack of tickets right there and gave them to us. Took all of about three minutes. The GR CM typed a little into a screen and out came the tickets.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Ooops, I guess I got her hopes up for nothing, since I told her they would have value :blush:

Thanks!

wildernesslady
02-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Ooops, I guess I got her hopes up for nothing, since I told her they would have value :blush:

Thanks!

I think it's worth a shot to try. Tell her to expect to pay in full, and if she gets credit for the voucher it's a bonus.

CleveRocks
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Wow, it's such a highly individualized situation that I wouldn't even hazard a guess about what the outcome will be.

I mean, on the surface, I'd agree with DizneyRox that comp tickets generally aren't upgradable. But since she was told they would be ... :confused:

DizneyRox
02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Wow, it's such a highly individualized situation that I wouldn't even hazard a guess about what the outcome will be.

I mean, on the surface, I'd agree with DizneyRox that comp tickets generally aren't upgradable. But since she was told they would be ... :confused:
I'm reading this as she wasn't told by Disney they were upgradable, Goofy4TheWorld told her they would be.

I'm leaning towards, comp tickets have no value.

How I would handle this is one person gets all 4 tickets, others get 4 day passes (or whatever they need for the trip) and the person with the 4 comp tickets gets more if they need them.

Although Disney MAY handle this with 4 one day tickets that are only good the day they are issued. This would maximize their ticket sales, instead of minimizing yours.

Get this straightened out BEFORE she goes and plunks any money down on tickets for everyone.

CleveRocks
02-25-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm reading this as she wasn't told by Disney they were upgradable, Goofy4TheWorld told her they would be.

I'm leaning towards, comp tickets have no value.

How I would handle this is one person gets all 4 tickets
Excellent points, and excellent suggestion on how to use them!:thumbsup:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-25-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm reading this as she wasn't told by Disney they were upgradeable, Goofy4TheWorld told her they would be.
That is correct, it was me that opened my big mouth before I was sure :blush:

How I would handle this is one person gets all 4 tickets, others get 4 day passes (or whatever they need for the trip) and the person with the 4 comp tickets gets more if they need them.

Since her trip is for four days, this would be an EXCELLENT idea, and one that I passed along to her.

Thanks again!

Goofy4TheWorld
02-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Really, the thing that bothered me more was this "hand-written" stuff. Did Disney really just jot down some number on a piece of paper that would give her four admissions years later? Seems kinda informal to me.

DizneyRox
02-26-2010, 06:18 AM
It's odd, and I'm not sure why they would hand write such a thing. My issue was in 2001, and they just printed the tickets there. They were and are still good, we had a bunch left. Maybe they intend on issuing 4 tickets good only for the day they give them, which is why I said make sure they get this straighten out BEFORE they buy tickets for everyone else so you can make sure one person can actually use all 4. If not, then 3 days tickets plus the comp may be their only option.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-05-2010, 11:58 PM
I thought I would update this thread with some new info.

My friend emailed Disney inquiring about this "voucher". She received a call form Disney yesterday telling her that Disney would give here two options: 1) Get a 4-day PH ticket for free, or 2) get 4 one-day PH tickets for free.

I got this information through her boyfriend, and so when I ask "did they say the tickets would be upgradeable?" he was clueless. However, unless they have "stings attached" it looks like she may be getting 4 free one-tickets with the hope that they can be upgraded!

DizneyRox
03-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Actually, if they didn't ask about upgrading, it's still an unknown. Complementary tickets usually have no value, regardless of the number of days. It really depends on how Disney codes them. I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's unfortunate you needs to know what to ask in order to get the information you want.

CleveRocks
03-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Again, I agree with DizneyRox. Under almost all circumstances, Disney's "comp" tickets have no value (other than the power to get you admitted to a park) and can't be upgraded.

And if that's the case, the obvious choice is to get the 4-day pass, since it seems she will be using 4 park days anyway. A 4-day ticket costs $225, so she won't have to pay $225 for one person.

But if she accepts 4 1-day tickets, this will have very little value. This means she'll have to buy 3-day tickets for everyone. The price difference between a 3-day ticket and a 4-day ticket is only $10 ... not much of a savings.

DizneyRox
03-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Here's the deal... To maximize their savings, they need to work the system. Here are a few scenarios...

a. Four single day tickets may be provided, AND they could only be good on the day they are redeemed. This forces them to be used or lose them. This is the cheapest option for Disney as the cost of additional ticket days on a multiday ticket is miniscule.

If they are really comp tickets, will probably have no value towards an upgrade either.

b. They can provide one 4 day PH ticket that someone in the party can use. That means one person in the party probably won't need a ticket. The problem with this is many people are on the dinig plan and since eeryone in the party needs the same ticket, that one person may already have tickets. If it has an expiration date tied to it, it's next to worthless as well.

c. They MAY be able to provide 4 one day PH tickets with NO expiration date on them. This is actually the best option for you in terms of value, Those are $130 tickets and are VERY handy.

Option C is the one I would really push for quite honestly. I would also pocket those tickets and use them for future trips. I have been using mine off and on for odd trips to get away. Often the only thing stopping me from going is the cost of the park tickets to get in. Having a PH option lets us do what we want on those quick weekend trips. Paying for the PH on a one or two day ticket is not a smart move IMHO. B would be my second option IF they don't have to get tickets as part of a package. Option A would be my last resort, and I wouldn't even take it this time, I would save it for the future when it may be worth more (smaller trip). EDIT - Now that I think of it, they may fine use in the single day tickets if they want to PH one day on the trip. Still get the 4 day tickets they are planning on, but on the day they want to PH cash in that file number and use those tickets for entry into the other parks. That would save them $200+ on the PH option if they only need to PH on one day.

The key is to find out what their options are BEFORE they make a committment on tickets for the group.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I spoke with my friend today about what Disney told her, and also what has been posted here. I think she has a very good idea on how to work the system to maximize the value of these tickets.

I posted that she was due 4-day tickets, but it was actually 5-day tickets. Her next trip is booked as a room-only, so she will have the flexibility to see what she can get out of Disney before making her final decision on ticket purchases. I think she hit the nail on the head when she said that it looks like the final outcome on how these tickets are given to her may ultimately depend on the mood and/or knowledge of the CM that she gives the voucher to, since it appears that the CM may have options in whether or not they give her regular tickets or comp tickets or whether or not other strings are attached.

My own speculation is that since they are offering her the possibility of a single 5-day PH, that if she chooses to get five separate 1-day PH instead, that they would not have the "must use today" string attached, since they couldn't apply that rule to a 5-day ticket, why do it to a 1-day ticket. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part.

Her plan is to take five 1-day PH tickets either way, as long as they do not have to be used on the same day. If she can upgrade those tickets, then her party of 4 people will each get one to upgrade for themselves, and that will leave her with an extra ticket for the future, or I guess she could use 2 of these 1-day tickets and only have to buy a 2-day ticket to fill the gap for herself. If the tickets have no value, she will use 1 ticket per day for herself, and that will leave her 1 extra ticket to use sometime in the future.

She knows what to hope for, and knows what to do if Disney attaches strings. Thanks again for everyone's advise!