PDA

View Full Version : Netbook + External DVD-Rom drive issues...HELP!

BrerGnat
02-21-2010, 12:01 PM
So, we bought a Netbook a few months ago. Primary reason was for use while traveling. We also need a new portable dvd player, so we figured we'd just use the netbook for that purpose, and we bought an external DVD drive ($60).

I only recently opened the drive to see how it would work with the netbook (no need for it previously). It will NOT play any DVD's!!! It will play an audio cd, and will load software cd-rom, but when I put in a DVD, it will not play it at all, won't give me any auto play options, and when I click on the title of the movie, all I get are a bunch of audio and video file folders.

My problem is that I cannot return this drive now. We got it from Best Buy and they only have a 30 day return policy. However, this drive is useless to us without the capability to play DVD's!

Is there something I am doing wrong? Our netbook runs Windows 7 starter. Or, is this DVD drive just a piece of junk?

I am ready to go buy a portable dvd player, but I don't want to spend more money if there is a simple fix for this problem.

Any tech advice???

MegaDisney
02-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I had to download a file that my computer did not have to play DVD's, I was prompted though that I needed it by Windows Media Player.

It was: Cineplayer DVD Decoder Pack 2.3.1

There were many "decoders" to choose from, i just searched Google.

I wonder if that is the problem?

Itchy
02-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with the previous poster. The net book since it does not have its own dvd drive may not have the software to read the dvd. It is possible that your external dvd player was not a total plug and play. I would to to the microsoft web site and download the media player and see if that helps. You may also look at the manufactures web site for software downloads as well. some of these have their own software that is needed to make the player work.

Hope this helps:mickey:

DizneyRox
02-21-2010, 01:54 PM
a. Never buy anything from Best (Worst) Buy. Their return policy is one of the worst in the world of retail.

b. Yes, it's probably that you don't have any DVD player software. I use Cyberlink PowerDVD. In most cases, this is paid software as the "decoders" are licensed and someone has to pay the license fees. Microsoft includes this in many of their Operating Systems with Media Player, however the Win7 Starter may be void of that feature (which is why it's so cheap).

BrerGnat
02-21-2010, 02:11 PM
It is a TRUE PLUG AND PLAY player. It says that on the box. As mentioned, I can use it to play audio cd's and load cd-rom software. Just won't play DVD, which makes me agree with all who posted about the dvd software.

DisneyRox: So, I have to pay $50 for some dvd software? What if I download that software and it STILL won't work? What is the disadvantage to downloading free codecs?

MegaDisney
02-21-2010, 02:37 PM
I only had to pay $14.99 for the download, but I also noticed free ones on CNET.

Itchy
02-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Before you buy any software or get a free download try the external dvd on one of the other computers that you have at home to see if it works on those. If it does it is probably the software, if not i would guess the dvd player and would be covered by the warrantee. I would take it back to best buy and argue the issue. Even if you do not get your money back they may let you exchange it for a different one.

Hope this helps again :mickey:

Ian
02-21-2010, 05:21 PM
It is a TRUE PLUG AND PLAY player.Even plug-n-play devices need drivers and since your netbook has Windows 7 Starter and no DVD drive of its own it almost certainly doesn't have the DVD decoder your drive needs.

I agree you'll probably have to download the software to get it to run. My suggestion is to Google the name of your drive and the name of your netbook and I'd be willing to bet you'll find someone else who had the same problem, as well as the solution.

DizneyRox
02-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Remember they used to call plug and play, plug and pray...

Netbooks, while perfect for many people, have some pretty big limitations. Without knowing too much about yours, I can tell you there is a reason they are so cheap. Usually in the world of laptops, smaller is more costly.

Netbooks are cheaper because they have some limitations, one of those is CPU power. I'd bet that the CPU in yours is a single core processor and has a limited GPU (graphics processing unit).

It actually might be incapable of playing back DVDs in an acceptable manner. You surely need a codec for DVDs. that I'm positive about. If there are free ones, I have to wonder how they are free, maybe they are add driven, or sptware funded, etc. Maybe they really are free as in beer.

Regardless though, the processor or GPU in that might not be able to decode the video quick enough resulting in jerky playback, slow playback, etc.

I would do your homework on google groups or otherwise looking for people who have done what you are attemptig to do BEFORE you plunk down any money on some software.

I have a HTPC that's built on the ATOM CPU (many netbooks use the ATOM processor), however it's a Dual Core chip, and have a ION chipset which actually does all or most of the video decoding. I don't think any Netbooks are using the dual core CPUs and never heard of the ION chipset in them either. Mine does a fantastic job even with HD video (BluRay rips) but without the GPU acceleration it's not much to write home about.

BrerGnat
02-21-2010, 08:42 PM
The netbook I have is a Toshiba NB205. It is capable of playing videos without sputtering and such, because I've used it to watch movies through DH's Zune software that is installed on it. It does have an Intel Atom processor (1.66GHz speed) as well as a Graphic Accelerator (Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator GMA950).

I did what Ian suggested and came upon a forum for Toshiba.

What I found out is that Windows 7 Starter is purposely missing DVD decoders. Apparently, MS wants people to throw down $80 for the upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium in order to get that feature. They have no incentive to provide a DVD decoder for free.

BUT, one of the other posters suggested a media player program called VLC Media Player (free), and a few others had downloaded it and solved the problem, so I tried it.

IT WORKED!!! Woo Hoo!!! Now I don't have to deal with Best Buy customer service. Although, it would have been nice if SOMEONE in that store informed us that DVD movies are NOT inherently viewable using Windows 7 Starter. That was a question we asked no fewer than three "Customer Service Associates" prior to buying the netbook. We knew we needed another portable DVD player, so we were trying to kill two birds with one stone. We chose the Toshiba primarily for the 9 hour battery life, so it would be best for long travel on planes and watching movies. Since we already have a new desktop and a laptop, we thought the netbook would be perfect for us (as DH wants to take his laptop with him on his deployment).

Anyway, problem solved! Thanks for the help everyone!

DizneyRox
02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
VLC is nice, use it for other types of movies.