PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to stay for a "large" group

Mariano O'Kon
02-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi Everyone,

I will be travelling to WDW next January with my 15 year-old daughter and 3 (or 4) girl friends.

On top of that it's my wife, my son and maybe my nephew.

There is a big chance that some of my wife's cousins will join us too... all in all we are looking at a group of, at least, 7, and can grow up to 15.

What is my best choice in Lodging? I always like to stay at Disney property, but I don't know if they have anything prepared for such a group.

I've also been thinking of renting a house near by.

Any other choices I am not thinking of?

Any recommendations??

Thanks!!

Mariano

javamama
02-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Cabins or Treehouse Villas if you want to stay on Property maybe even a Grand Villa at one of the DVC try to rent points from someone. We had a party of 10 and did stay in a 2 bedroom suite at the Poly, but we were all family. Your talking about friends(daughters), and family. I think Grand Villas sleep 12. HTH have fun planning:mickey:

eandrsmom
02-21-2010, 11:36 AM
We are a family of six, and are staying in a Marriott World Center Villa next trip. We've rented a two bedroom, but they do have three bedroom villas. They were MUCH cheaper than the Disney villas, and they are only two miles from Disney. I got a member rate by joining the Marriott rewards program, which was free to join. I can't give a review of the place, our trip isn't until May, but the pictures of the place look really nice.

wdw_bound
02-21-2010, 03:03 PM
If you are 8 or more, you qualify as a grand gathering. We have a grand gathering planned this summer in the cabins. We stayed in one two years ago and loved it. Each cabin sleeps 6, so you would need two cabins, but given the ages of your party, and the fact that you would most likely be a grand gathering, you can request cabins next to one another. There is so much to do at the campgrounds, and it is only a short boat ride from the MK. I can definitely recommend it.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

crltkcagle
02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
You can always do 2 value resorts.

OogieBoogieMan
02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I think with a large group a house may be the way to go. You can find a number of homes that sleep 12 or more people and have 3+ bathrooms. Start doing the math versus a hotel room, not to mention the bath/person ratio, and it really starts to make sense. AllStar is an Intercot sponsor and is a great place to start.

ddcrna
05-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Another poster mentioned the Marriott Villas, and just wanted to add in that we are owners there and I think you would like them a lot! Three bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen, dining table to seat 8, and an outside screen porch with table for 4. Sevral pools and rec areas on site, grills, etc.

TammiMcMan
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Start doing the math versus a hotel room, not to mention the bath/person ratio, and it really starts to make sense. AllStar is an Intercot sponsor and is a great place to start.Definitely agree to get the calculator out. Houses are a great option and we've done that with a group. It's hard to beat staying on site though, especially if you want something like the dining plan. That being said, I would look into multiple value or moderate rooms, depending on your budget. It would be great to have 2 rooms, especially with a couple of teenage girls. Plus it can be easier with planning, especially if the rest of your group isn't positive of their vacation plans yet. They can simply call when their ready to book and you don't have to worry about getting a house that ends up being too big for your needs.

When you price everything out, don't forget to add in the cost of a rental car (big enough for your group), parking fees at Disney and I know it sounds silly, but factor in that everyone in your group would need to agree on the same time schedule every day. Unless you want to be driving people back and forth between the house and Disney. It may be a little cheaper in the end to get the house, but it can also cause some inconveniences.

wantthreewishes
05-18-2010, 01:45 PM
We have went twice with groups of 30 and and stayed in the cabins at Fort Wilderness. As was said above-they each sleep 6 and they will place the cabins all next to each other.

They also have a kitchen and supply you with pots and pans and a toaster...so we always get things to make for breakfast (eggs, hot cereal, bread/bagels, frozen waffels, fruits...). That way we eat a good breakfast in the morning, and then just have one meal in the parks in the late afternoon...it saves quite a bit of money in a large group.

Tink#64
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
We've never had a group that large, so I'd be hard pressed to say. But, another thought on it all, after thinking about your transpo to & from the parks, are you all planning to stay together every day? We've visited with family before & stayed in seperate rooms at Pop, & it was huge that we didn't have to plan to stay together every minute of everyday! Having the WDW transporation so everyone is free to roam at will is a definite plus for us! Our last trip, youngest DS got sick & I was able to take him back to Pop on the bus while DH & older DS stayed to finish their evening.

This year, we do have a group of 13, staying in 4 value rooms & we won't be touring the parks together so we'll all be able to come & go as we please without worrying about what everyone else wants to do. Just my :twocents: and food for thought! :blush:

Fastpasssteve
05-19-2010, 03:05 AM
One factor in your equation is the ages of the young ones you have with you. At that age, they can be trusted to wander the parks by themselves (assuming they stay together) and have a cell phone with them and ON the entire time. You will enjoy the freedom yourself...especially when you don't have to deal with the whining and discontent. It would be good to be on Disney property, so any in your group can go back and rest at any point...or even if they don't feel so well...and in a group as large as you are contemplating, that is not out of the realm of possibility. If someone gets sick, do all who rode in the car with you obligated to go back with you? That's a lot of park ticket money down the drain.

Keep in mind, you will be able to have some "grown-folk time," and that is molto importanto!!! Adults may want to spend more time/days in EPCOT, while younger ones may want to go to Magic Kingdom more often.

The cabins are very inexpensive. The value resorts are a good value. That way, the girls can have a room to themselves! (Can you say 'No sleep?') You can agree to meet as a group at the food court or specified cabin for a morning meeting to see who is going where and when you will all meet up. Some people who have various groups like this enjoy meeting up for a meal or go to a show together for a sense of unity in the group.

You might want to speak to the younger ones in your group and get their feedback. Find out what their expectations for the trip are. Their expectations and vision for the trip might differ greatly from yours. Try to keep in mind that this trip should work for all of you and bring the group (and each member) joy.

Tink1
05-19-2010, 09:14 AM
I vote for seperate value resort rooms over the cabins. With teenage girls, the more bathrooms the better!

The DVC 2 or 3 Bedroom Villa's would be a great option since they have at least 2 bathrooms that are set up nicely.

Nanc

Julie_Mouse
05-19-2010, 10:59 AM
We just returned from a stay in a 2BR villa at SSR. We had 8 adults (although 4 were 20-something college students) and honestly, we found it a bit cramped! :crazy: I'd go with a couple of connected (or at least nearby) rooms :mickey:

renecat
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
You could check the family suites at ASM and the cabins at WL. They both sleep 6.

TikiLounger
05-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I suggest the cabins. Like those before me have said, you'll need two...but...we had such a great time while staying in one and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Great kitchen, too. Mousekeeping visits everyday (they even do all your dishes!) and it's very cozy. We also found that the campground was great for "downtime". We had some serious fun! My teens loved driving the golf cart to the store or the marina (they all had driver's licenses) and we even walked to the Wilderness Lodge to shop and enjoy. I'd definitely stay there again.