PDA

View Full Version : My complete Itinerary including meal budget - Any comments?

Diznut
02-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Okay, so I've been doing a lot of research for our trip in May to WDW. This site has been amazing with tons of tips and info. Here is what I came up with for our VERY budget friendly trip. I'm open to any advice.

Park rotation: let me say I researched EMH days and heavy crowd statistics and our park preferences to determine which parks would have the lightest crowds. We've opted to stay away from parks that EMH hours eventhough we're staying onsite.

Sunday - Hollywood Studios
Monday -EPCOT
Tuesday -Magic Kingdom
Wednesday - Magic Kingdom
Thursday - EPCOT
Friday - Animal Kingdom

Dining - I don't have the meal plan and we kept our budget low for food costs. We plan to eat our breakfast and snacks in the room with food we are bringing from home. Lunch and Dinner we are eating ONLY at counter service locations. Tell me if you think this is reasonable.
Child 1 - $10 day ( $5 per meal)
Child 2 - $10 day ($5 per meal)
Adult 1 - $20 day ($10 per meal)
Adult 2 - $20 day ($10 per meal)

Based on the number of lunches and dinners I have deterimed we'll need, this brings our family of 4 food budget to $340 for the week. Think that is realistic?

Again, thank you in advance for any and all advice you may give to make our trip a fun and affordable vacation.

forever a child
02-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Dining - I don't have the meal plan and we kept our budget low for food costs. We plan to eat our breakfast and snacks in the room with food we are bringing from home. Lunch and Dinner we are eating ONLY at counter service locations. Tell me if you think this is reasonable.
Child 1 - $10 day ( $5 per meal)
Child 2 - $10 day ($5 per meal)
Adult 1 - $20 day ($10 per meal)
Adult 2 - $20 day ($10 per meal)

Based on the number of lunches and dinners I have deterimed we'll need, this brings our family of 4 food budget to $340 for the week. Think that is realistic?

Again, thank you in advance for any and all advice you may give to make our trip a fun and affordable vacation.

I am by no means an expert on the food price options. But it seems a bit low. I just could't imagine $20 a day for an adult unless I guess it was McDonalds twice a day and then I could eat for less. I have looked at the QS meals and it seems you could get something for $10 with out a drink. Which if you bring your own drinks into the park could work. But you will have days where you may want something more expensive and then there are snacks. I just cant imagine spending a week in the park and never getting a snack the whole time (which can run up to $4 each). I am not trying to be negative, just realistic. Now perhaps if you could bring your own lunch into to parks and then use that budget for a meal and possible park snack...that I could see working a bit better. Yes, it is my understanding that you are allowed to bring your own picnic food into the parks, perhaps someone else might be able to confirm this since I have never done it. But I have brought bottled water and snacks.

MoreMickey
02-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I think you could do it if you stay strick on your plan. When we plan we usually plan for $10 per meal per person.

My oldest is only 7 but most of the time he eats off the adult menu. We usually come out about $36 a meal with buying 2 kids meals and 2 adult meals.

mom2morgan
02-20-2010, 10:18 PM
It's very frugal, but I think you could manage it. One advantage with kids meals is they include a drink, so that will help. I think the one difficult area might be drinks - you'll need to stay hydrated and the drinks in the parks are so expensive. Orlando water is kind of yucky - maybe you could bring your own water bottles with some packets of Crystal Light of whatever you like to mix in the water from the fountains. Some counter service meals are better value than others, so make sure you plan ahead where to eat so you can get the biggest bang for your buck.

seanyred
02-20-2010, 10:31 PM
We are a family of three and we would average about $45 dollars a day. We do a lot of meal sharing and getting items that will fill you up. I agree its frugal but it can be done. Do you have room in the budget for snacks as well?

KylesMom
02-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I too must stress the importance of hydration. It does get hot in May, and while there are plenty of drinking fountains and you can request ice water in the parks, make sure you don't cut corners on this one. As mentioned, if you are able, I'd also set aside a small amount for snacks each day. That's part of our joy at Disney - slurping on a slushie or munchin' on a Mickey Bar late in the afternoon! :mickey: We too eat breakfast in the room and have snacks on hand, which goes a long way towards helping keep things affordable.

TikiGoddess
02-21-2010, 08:51 AM
I think your costs are reasonable. Remember that you can get ice water from any counter service location for FREE. It tastes fine (and I'm a picky drinker).

I would perhaps allow maybe $20 or so for a special treat when morale is low in the troops -- nothing turns around tired feet, heat headaches, or cranky children like a Mickey bar, rice crispy treat, or Dole Whip!

Kathy

Diznut
02-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments very much. We are planning on doing our own thing for drinks and snacks. I figure we'll just do the bottled water/lemonade trick, and pack a bunch of easy portable snacks (I'll hit up Costco before we leave). Other than that it sounds like it is do-able.

How about my park days itinerary? Look good?

wildernesslady
02-21-2010, 10:32 AM
You may want to add $5.00 per person per day for any extras. You can always bring the extra money home with you. Have a great time and drink alot of water.

Tygger7
02-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I would perhaps allow maybe $20 or so for a special treat when morale is low in the troops -- nothing turns around tired feet, heat headaches, or cranky children like a Mickey bar, rice crispy treat, or Dole Whip!

I totally agree with this approach...kids will be kids, and the little extras are part of the overall experience. I've done vacations on a very tight budget, and it can be very stressful. Give youself a little extra on the food budget and try to be flexible. As another poster said, you can always bring any extra money home, but it's no fun being short or feeling pressured to not spend ANY money on snacks or small extras.

pianobabe
02-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't know about the crowds etc., but I would look at doing Magic Kingdom on the Friday instead of 2 days in a row. The only reason I say that, is we like to end our trips with MK. I think your meals are manageable. Have fun!!:thumbsup:

eandrsmom
02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I would definitely budget for some snacks. My kids would be heartbroken if they couldn't eat the Mickey Mouse shaped ice creams that they have at the parks. Sometimes the smell of freshly popped popcorn is hard to resist. You might do better packing sandwiches for one of the meals, then planning to buy snacks and a CS meal for the second meal.

forever a child
02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I would definitely budget for some snacks. My kids would be heartbroken if they couldn't eat the Mickey Mouse shaped ice creams that they have at the parks. Sometimes the smell of freshly popped popcorn is hard to resist. You might do better packing sandwiches for one of the meals, then planning to buy snacks and a CS meal for the second meal.

That's what I was trying to say, but you said it better.:bar:

Diznut
02-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Okay .... we'll see what happens. I've viewed many of the child's menu selections and most of them are $3.99 and I've budgeted $5. And same goes for the adult menu items (most are $7-$8) and I've budgeted $10. So we've got some wiggle room to work in a stack if need be here and there. Ice cream will be the big treat most likely.
As for going to MK two days in a row midweek we did this because they are the least crowded and we want 2 full days at this park. Friday is our last day and we're flying out that night. AK is our least favorite park and would rather spend our shortest day there. But I would otherwise agree ... we love spending out last day at MK too. Just isn't going to work out this trip.

hlkeck
02-21-2010, 01:02 PM
You can totally do this - my husband and I actually find the places where we can share a CS. Cosmic Rays, for example, you can get a half rack of ribs and a 1/2 rotisserie chicken meal for like $13.99. It's PLENTY of food for lunch to share, and then you've saved a few bucks and can use it toward a snack. That all said, we NEVER get snacks inthe parks unless we are on the dining plan and we usually don't need them. You can find plenty of CS meals that are sharable for 2 adults for under what you want to spend per meal. I am always shocked at how much food you get at some CS places.

BigRedDad
02-21-2010, 02:25 PM
You can definitely do it if that is what you are are trying to manage to. This definitely cuts out soda and you will be drinking water and what you bring to mix in it. There are many CS meals two adults can share.

For me, going on vacation is costly enough. If I need to spend an extra $500 while I am there, so be it. I will find a way to get that money back. I just don't want to spend my vacation worrying about money. I have that to worry the rest of the year while I am not on vacation.

TikiGoddess
02-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Remember that you don't need to buy combos at counter service. You can just order a burger if you don't like/want fries. It's cheaper and you don't waste food you won't eat anyway.

You can also order a double cheeseburger and an extra bun, and share it! I've ordered a plain bun before -- I think it was .60 or something like that.

I don't know how old your kids are, but with my (then) 4 and 6 yr old girls (mind you, they're not big eaters) we found it to be a waste to order two kids meals for them. We eventually found the best way to feed everyone was to order 3 adult meals (more variety) or two adult meals and one kid meal, and share.

We've also been known to bring a full soft cooler of food and drinks into the park for lunch. Peanut butter and jelly saves time and money.

Have a great time!!
From fellow CT nut!
Kathy

thejens
02-21-2010, 10:59 PM
I think you've got some great advice here and that your plan is doable. We plan our park days the same way as you and it looks great.
Are your kids going to want souvenirs? One cost saving tip I have if your kids are at the youngish age is to hit the Dollar tree or Walmart prior to your trip. I gather a few inexpensive Disney themed items (cups, t-shirts, etc. the type they might want to buy at the parks) and reveal them during the trip. I bought one water spray bottle, and had the kids decorate it in Disney stickers on the drive there. They weren't at all sad that I didn't buy them the really expensive park spray botttles! I find it really hard to exit the rides into a gift shop, dragging my kids to the exit as fast as possible! The little items helped. Also, if any of your family want to surprise your kids with "Disney Dollars" purchaseable at the Disney Stores that's a great way to limit your kids souvenir hunting. It worked great with mine. They understood when the DDs were gone, there was no more shopping and they were very careful and wise!