PDA

View Full Version : I may get to go this summer!! any advice?

mom2morgan
02-20-2010, 03:13 PM
We thought we'd have to wait at least another year or more, since my husband and daughter were going to go on a school trip to Costa Rica. Now it looks like that trip may be off due to lack of participation - so we might do Disney instead! We'd go late July/early August - to catch her birthday (and to not miss school). We'd do a split stay at Carribean Beach and AKL, both places we want to try - and we'd stay for about a week. NOW...here's where I'm in uncharted territory. I've only ever gone in December. I'm picturing insane heat and insane crowds. Tips/ideas on how to adjust so we still enjoy ourselves? One thing I realize is that the park hours will be much longer than in December, so we can really go back to the hotel in the afternoon and then go back to the park (but does that really help with crowds - or does everyone do the same thing?) That was never an option in winter with AK closing around 5 and the others around 7. I'm quite over-weight so I'm sure I'll feel the heat.

faline
02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
It will be very hot and humid and quite crowded as well. I'd suggest getting to the parks early in the morning. When I've gone in the summer, I've often scheduled a table service lunch for around 1-2 (I'm usually ready for some cooling down by then). After lunch, I'd return to my resort and either go to the pool and just rest in the room. In the evening, we'd return to the park of our choice and stay until we were tired. Oftentimes, we'd still be full from lunch so we'd have just a light dinner.

Take advantage of the fast pass system. You'll need it! Drink lots of water! Don't rush.

mom2morgan
02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I hadn't thought of that! In December we always finished our day with a nice table service meal, but it would be a great idea in summer to do the "big" meal for lunch.

It will be very hot and humid and quite crowded as well. I'd suggest getting to the parks early in the morning. When I've gone in the summer, I've often scheduled a table service lunch for around 1-2 (I'm usually ready for some cooling down by then). After lunch, I'd return to my resort and either go to the pool and just rest in the room. In the evening, we'd return to the park of our choice and stay until we were tired. Oftentimes, we'd still be full from lunch so we'd have just a light dinner.

Take advantage of the fast pass system. You'll need it! Drink lots of water! Don't rush.

DizneyRox
02-20-2010, 04:00 PM
HOT HOT HOT! Lunch is a great meal, in the sweltering Florida summer sun, we typically don't eat that much, we end up drinking more.

Typically a light breakfast with lots of water, a snack of water, late lunch with lots of water and then a snakish type meal again later in the day. We might swap out the lunch with a dinner.

The key is to drink, water, not soda...

BrerGnat
02-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Here's my advice, in no particular order:

1. Do NOT even think about getting a dining plan. As other people have already mentioned, it will be REALLY HOT. Like, hotter than you think it could ever be. And humid. The last thing you want to do is feel stuffed all day. Plan to eat as you feel hungry. LOTS of cold stuff too...ice water, frozen lemonades, popsicles, etc. Plan those things into your budget.

2. Use a misting fan! Either buy one from home before you go or plan to buy one at the parks. Fill with ICE WATER and that will help a lot while waiting outdoors in the heat. As a little insider tip: the vendors that sell stuff "on ice" will usually not mind if you take a few ice cubes to put into your mister. Make sure you ask first, though.

3. Reconsider the resort switch. I'd recommend going with AKL the whole time. Main reason is it is ALL indoors, and air conditioned. While you may have a long walk to your room, you will at least be in an air conditioned space. It also tends to rain almost daily in FL in the summer. Those afternoon storms will be REALLY inconvenient if you are at CBR and need to take the hike to the food court or buses. Plus, a week is really a short time to do a split stay. Consider that you will be "homeless" for potentially half a day (check out is 11am, check in is after 3pm...room might not be ready right at 3).

4. Plan for any outdoor rides/attractions to happen EARLY morning or after the sun sets. Do the indoor queue attractions in the heat of mid morning and afternoon.

5. POOL BREAK. Perhaps twice a day. It's STILL going to be hot and humid at night. You will find that you might shower up after your mid afternoon pool break, and then be covered in sweat as soon as you head back outdoors in the evening. Swimming at night is fun, and can only really be done in the summer without freezing!

6. Pack only LIGHT weight, light colored clothes. This is no time for jeans...

7. Plan for the waterparks, if you have never been (guessing no, since you go in December). They are great fun and wonderful refuges when it's hot. Get there at opening, and leave by the time the crowds start getting thick (usu. around 12-1pm). OR, go in the late afternoon, after 3pm.

8. Bring a light sweater or jacket. Yes, you read that right. Consider how it will feel to be sweaty and then walk into an air conditioned shop or restaurant that feels like 40 degrees. You'll be glad you have that sweater...

9. Be prepared to be grumpy. The heat does that to people at WDW. Plan for OTHERS to be really grumpy too. ;)

Have a great trip!

mom2morgan
02-20-2010, 04:40 PM
yikes! I'm beginning to think I shouldn't bother - since I teach, our other option would be spring break at the end of March. Are the crowds WORSE in summer or Spring Break?

faline
02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Hard to say. Spring break crowds vary from week to week depending on which schools are out and who decides to head to Disney World. Some folks have reported crowds that are quite manageable - others have reported heavy crowds and long waits.

kakn7294
02-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I LOVE WDW in the summer months. I don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone always makes out. Yes, it's hot and humid but if you take your time, keep hydrated, use the attractions, shops, and meals to cool down, and take advantage of FP, it's perfectly doable. I'll be there again Aug 7 - 15.

mom2morgan
02-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm glad to hear that! I was getting a little worried. Since I'm teaching full time right now, really the only other options are Christmas break (VERY crowded!) and Spring Break - and since ours always is the week right before Easter, I think I've heard that the crowds then are really intense as well. I'd still try it - only it would mean only going for 5 days, instead of 7 or 8. We're in Alberta, so travel takes up 2 full days (usually about 18 hours one way, all told) so I'm loathe to do that much travelling and have such a short stay.

olivegirl
02-20-2010, 06:43 PM
We enjoy Disney vacations in the summer months especially August!! We realize the heat and humidity issue is there so we plan our days accordingly. We are up early and get to the parks until the heat of the day. Go back to our resort and enjoy the pool!! Then head to our room and shower and get on our way to our dinner. We dress lightly and drink lots of water! The rain and thunderstorms are more frequent but again just plan and all will be ok!!! Hec, your in Disney!!!!:thumbsup:

SBETigg
02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
If you could possibly go later in August, you would have lower crowds. The crowds do get lighter as August goes on, especially during weekdays. It is very hot and humid, but definitely not unbearable. You move a little slower. You get a little less done than you might expect. You do enjoy your resort and pools maybe a little more. And I still like having a dining plan. It's a very nice time to plan on a table service meal a day because it's a good escape from the heat. It's not about the eating as much as having the nice place to cool down, relax, and enjoy a family meal.

Also note that when you're hot, you think water will cool you down, so you love the idea of getting wet on water rides. Until you realize that wet clothes do not dry in humid air and you end up in damp clothes all day. Water rides are still fun. I just think it's good to know (nicer table service meals may call for a change of clothes).

JoDisney
02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
We love to go in the Summer for a week. We usually go the first week of August. We want a week to enjoy Disney as my husband is a professor. My sons love getting a whole week to enjoy Disney, too. I do not think Disney is bad in the Summer. We enjoy it very much.

BrerGnat
02-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I did not mean to be discouraging! Disney is a lot of fun in the summer. We used to go in the summers when I was a kid and I loved it! You just have to know what to expect.

We are going the week before Easter and I am dreading the crowds. We could not go at any other time this year though as we are planning around DH's deployment. I would sort of prefer to go in the summer, as we are planning lots of pool time and waterparks, and I'm worried that it might not be hot enough in March!

SBETigg
02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Nat, you offered some great tips for managing the heat. It will be hot and humid, and it takes some consideration. :thumbsup:

mom2morgan
02-20-2010, 09:31 PM
thanks, everyone - it sounds like preparation and realistic expectations are the key! On our other trips we ran around like maniacs all the time to fit in as much as possible, so we can probably enjoy a much more relaxed week this summer where we plan to do only our "must do's" so we aren't fighting the heat and the crowds to try to pack everything in. And whoever it was who mentioned water parks - you are right that we haven't had the chance yet! It was warm enough in 2006 but we hadn't planned enough days - and last December was c-c-c -cold!

DizneyRox
02-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Expectations are key... We usually go for an extended stay 14+ days, so if we don't get to something, "Hakuna Matata"... We'll eventually get to it.

The are MANY people who don't have that mindset. I see parents FURIOUS that their kids are on meltdown and "DARN IT, I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THIS VACATION WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A GOOD TIME" attitudes. People watching is oh so much fun in the Summer.

Park hours are extended for the most part (I think they will change them this summer) so, while the wait times are longer, there's still enough time in the day.

Fastpass is king (working the system is necessary though) and water is god. One thing though, as hot as you think it's going to be, it's hotter! Really, until you get there, you can't imagine how miserable the heat and humidity can be.

PirateLover
02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
All the best tips have been given, but I wanted to emphasize them again.
1. Get to the parks EARLY!!! Be there at or just after opening. Get as much done as possible, then take a break. Either grab a lunch at the park or back at the resort, go for a swim or take a shower, or nap... you need to recharge those batteries. Head back to the parks when your ready and stay as late as you want. Park Hoppers are key for this.
BTW, you asked earlier in the thread if everyone does this. The answer is NO. Most people will sleep in, start arriving in droves by noon, and stay until they are tired and cranky and will need to leave before closing.

2. DRINK WATER even when you don't think you need it. Last June, we experienced temps in the high 90s-100s with extreme humidity. I never sweat so much in my life. We were going through water like nothing, yet I went entire days in the parks without needing the restroom (and this may be TMI but it emphasizes the point- I have an overactive bladder an usually need to "go" every 2 hours at least).

3. FASTPASS!!! Go in with a plan- know what rides are MUST DOs, which ones are maybes, and which ones you can miss. You will NOT be able to do it all, and you don't want to be stuck missing the big attractions.

4. Enjoy yourself!!! Too many people let the heat stress them out. Despite the heat and crowds, we had a great trip last summer and got a lot done. Don't be afraid of the summer, just be prepared!!!!