PDA

View Full Version : Adding days/non-expir. option (in-depth)

LauraSAnne
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
This question is really complicated (or seems that way).

I've purchased a 7 day park hopping ticket for my upcoming vacation in April. If I end up only using 5 of the days, I will probably end up adding 5 more days to the ticket as well as the non-expiration option on the last day of my April trip so that I will still have a 7 day ticket for my trip in January.

Here's what I can't figure out--what will my upcharge cost be to do this? Since the non-expiration cost varies for the length of the ticket, will they apply that cost to the days I already used or just do the ones I haven't used and am also adding?

I'm trying to figure out my most economical choice. My January trip will probably be 9 to 10 days (8-9 park days)

Thanks for the help!

faline
02-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't believe you will be able to add more than 3 days to the ticket you have. The largest number of days one one ticket is 10 - you already have 7. I also believe the non-expiration option charge will be for the full 10 days. It would seem to be more cost efficient to let the 2 unused days go than to spend the additional money for the non-expiration option.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
If you are planning two trips in one year, it might make sense to purchase an annual pass. You would be able to put the cost of the pass you already have towards it, and then you can enjoy as many days in the parks as you would like.

DizneyRox
02-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Correct. The max number of days on a MYW ticket would be 10. Your cost would be based on the difference between a 7 day and the 10 day for the park days, and then the cost of a 10 day no expiration option.

If you are going for 5 days in April, and then 9 days later in the same 365 days, an AP may be a better deal.

Otherwise it's probably better to get a 5 day now and a 9 day later, skip the no expiration on the first ticket.

Do the math and see what's better.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Since you have already purchased a 7-day PARK HOPPER, I will assume that you will want the PH option on your 9-day tickets as well, so that is how I will price it. I also assumed that you did not purchase, and do not want, the water parks and more option on any ticket.

The previous posts are correct, you cannot have a MYW ticket that is longer than 10 days, so your only two choices are:

1) A regular annual pass (which includes hopping but NOT water parks) cost $520.79 per adult including tax. While at Disney World during your first trip, you can upgrade your already-purchased 7-day PH ticket to a regular annual pass for $520.79 minus a credit of $304.59 (for the value of the 7 day ticket), which gives you an out of pocket cost to upgrade of $216.20.

2) You can use your 7-day pass for your first trip, allow any unused days to expire (DO NOT buy the no-expiration option) and buy a 9-day PH pass for your second trip, but this will cost you $310.98, which is $94.78 more, per ticket, than just upgrading your 7-day tickets to an AP.

As long as your positive that you will be completing your second trip within 366 days of the beginning of your first trip, upgrading your already-purchased 7-day tickets to an AP will be your best option.

Also, to answer your question about adding the no-expiration option, Disney would charge you the difference based on the number of days originally on the ticket, NOT the number of days left.

CleveRocks
02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
This question is really complicated (or seems that way).

I've purchased a 7 day park hopping ticket for my upcoming vacation in April. If I end up only using 5 of the days, I will probably end up adding 5 more days to the ticket as well as the non-expiration option on the last day of my April trip so that I will still have a 7 day ticket for my trip in January.

Here's what I can't figure out--what will my upcharge cost be to do this? Since the non-expiration cost varies for the length of the ticket, will they apply that cost to the days I already used or just do the ones I haven't used and am also adding?

I'm trying to figure out my most economical choice. My January trip will probably be 9 to 10 days (8-9 park days)

Thanks for the help!You've already received good advice. I'll just add some.

It is NEVER a good idea to add the No Expiration option to a ticket unless the leftover park days will TOTALLY cover your needs for one or more trips. If you need to buy additional days in addition to the leftover days, you've really cheated yourself out of a lot of money. I'll explain ...

You already bought a 7-day park hopper for $286. You'll use 5 of those days, leaving 2. As you learned, the maximum number of days you can add to that ticket is 3 (to make a total of 10), which will leave you with 5 days for your next trip.

Adding those 3 days will cost $9, and then adding the No Expiration option will cost you $209, for a total cost SO FAR of $286 + $9 + $209 = $504.

That $504 bought you the 5 park days you already used for your first park trip, plus 5 park days for your next trip. You'll still need another 4 park days for your next trip (you said you need 8 or 9 park days for the next trip, so let's just say 9).

So on your next trip, you use up those 5 unexpired days and then you buy a new 4-day park hopper for $277.

This means that for BOTH trips, you paid a total of $504 + $277 = $781 for your park tickets per person for BOTH trips.

Now, I'm going to show you how buying SEPARATE TICKETS FOR EACH TRIP will save you lots of money.

A 5-day park hopper for the first trip costs $280.
A 9-day park hopper for the second trip costs $292.

By buying separate tickets for each trip, you will pay a total of $280 + $292 = $572 for your park tickets per person for BOTH trips.

Using the No Expiration option cost you $781 for 14 days of tickets.

Buying separate tickets for each trip cost you $572 for 14 days of tickets.

So as you can see, in this example, using the No Expiration option would cost you $209 MORE PER PERSON.

Mind blowing, isn't it?

Like I always say, the No Expiration option is ONLY a good idea if the leftover tickets totally meets your ticket needs for one of more future trips. If you have to add additional days on top of the No Expiration ticket, then it's a huge money waster.

DizneyRox
02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
So, since the 7 day ticket is already purchased, it's better to upgrade it to an AP, or upgrade it to a 9 day and buy a 5 day for the trip in April.

Appears that with everyone's math, the AP will probably be your best option, unless you don't make the January trip.

CleveRocks
02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
So, since the 7 day ticket is already purchased, it's better to upgrade it to an AP, or upgrade it to a 9 day and buy a 5 day for the trip in April.

Appears that with everyone's math, the AP will probably be your best option, unless you don't make the January trip.

I agree that the AP, at $489, is clearly the best choice if the poster is 110% sure they'll be coming back within one year.

But buying a 9-day ticket now and a 5-day later is out of the picture, since the 5 days is what's needed sooner and the 9 days is what's needed later.

If not upgrading the existing 7-day ticket to an AP, then the best bet is to just let the 2 leftover days expire. Those 2 extra days cost a total of only six bucks. And as can be seen by the math I provided, adding the No Expiration in this exact example would waste $209.

DizneyRox
02-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Appears that with everyone's math, the AP will probably be your best option, unless you don't make the January trip.I agree that the AP, at $489, is clearly the best choice if the poster is 110% sure they'll be coming back within one year.

But buying a 9-day ticket now and a 5-day later is out of the picture, since the 5 days is what's needed sooner and the 9 days is what's needed later.

If not upgrading the existing 7-day ticket to an AP, then the best bet is to just let the 2 leftover days expire. Those 2 extra days cost a total of only six bucks. And as can be seen by the math I provided, adding the No Expiration in this exact example would waste $209.
You can't downgrade the ticket she has now, so she would be best served to upgrade it to a 9 day for the January trip and buy a new ticket (5 days) for the April trip. Also, if the January trip gets postponed, she would be able to move that ticket to the new trip.

There would be no need to let days expire in that case...

Goofy4TheWorld
02-20-2010, 05:19 PM
You can't downgrade the ticket she has now, so she would be best served to upgrade it to a 9 day for the January trip and buy a new ticket (5 days) for the April trip. Also, if the January trip gets postponed, she would be able to move that ticket to the new trip.

Total cost for a 5-day AND a 9-day PH is $609.18, which is more than the $520.79 for the AP. Using two separate tickets is a bad idea if she is absolutely positive she is going on the January trip also (or at least another trip within 366 days.)

However, doing like you said and upgrading the 7-day to a 9-day and planning on using it for the second trip would be a good insurance policy against not taking the second trip within the 366 days that the AP would provide. However, that insurance policy would cost $88.39 each, but would keep her from losing $127.18 MORE on the now-unused AP. It is also true that, like CleveRocks said, she can avoid having 9-day tickets already paid in full for a canceled January trip by just letting the 7-day tickets expire with two days left on them and getting her 9-day pass in January, and that insurance policy will only cost her $6.39.

And so nobody gets confused, I have been listing prices with tax (b/c that is how my Excel sheet has it entered) and CleveRocks has being using pre-tax numbers, but they are both correct.

LauraSAnne
02-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the help!

I definitely am leaning towards the AP but I'm a total "what if" person. Though that trip is very set in stone, I know there area ALWAYS things that can happen to change anything and that's what would cause me to stay away from the AP. My husband and I will probably make up our minds while we're there in April since that will really be the last chance to do the AP (and get the credit).

Thanks so much for all of your help and number crunching!