PDA

View Full Version : AAA Discounts?

DVC2004
02-20-2010, 11:10 AM
We used to be members and may re-enroll. Can anyone tell me how much of a discount is typically given on park tickets and rooms? Does anyone know the same re: Universal Park Tickets too? Any other special perks for AAA members at Disney or other Orlando Area parks (sea World, Busch Gardens, Universal)? Thank you!!!

dmallan
02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
AAA discounts for room only reservations vary according to the season. Our experience has been 20% discount in the value season, 15% in the regular season.

As far as discounted tickets, it's not much, and from what I hear it varys by area. The last time I purchased tickets through AAA, I bought 5 adult tickets and I think I saved $30 or $40 total. Every little bit helps!

TheRustyScupper
02-21-2010, 03:54 PM
1) Disney
. . . 10%-25% on rooms
. . . 2%-6% on tickets
. . . 10% at World of Disney

2) Sea World
. . . 14% (adults at kids' prices)
. . . 8% on tours

3) Busch
. . . 6%-28% (single day & combo tix)

Urbss
02-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Plus, if you book through AAA you will get all of the same pricing structure as Magic Journeys and Small World Vacations and will also get a few really nice ammentities:

Last year we got a free 5x7 photopass picture, the Diamond Parking Pass (if you are driving), several coupons for different restaurants and best of all Story Book Time (for the kids).

I love what AAA has done for us the past 3 years!!!

faline
02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
There are a couple of significant differences between Magical Journeys and AAA, in my opinion. AAA agents are often not Disney experts. They get you booked and that's the end of it. You generally will not hear back from your AAA agent if you can get a better rate or discount on your trip. With Magical Journeys, you can be sure your agent will let you know if a better deal comes along and you can save additional money.

RedSoxFan
02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Faline --- you are so right. Our first two trips were booked with AAA. I found the discount (through Intercot) for our 2nd stay and told my agent at AAA about it and upgraded to AKL. This last trip I went with MJ/Terrisue and it was such a nicer experience. She saved me an extra $400 when discounts came out. I would never book with AAA again as long as there is MJ.

DVC2004
02-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks all- I am not looking to use AAA as my travel agent. We don't really need travel packages- Just really to buy tickets at a lesser price that they offer. We're DVC members so we rarely need to book any package deals. Sometimes we'll get a Disney Hotel room for one night when we first get in on cash so we can save our points so the occasional room discount too- but no packages.

MidnTPK
02-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Faline --- you are so right. Our first two trips were booked with AAA. I found the discount (through Intercot) for our 2nd stay and told my agent at AAA about it and upgraded to AKL. This last trip I went with MJ/Terrisue and it was such a nicer experience. She saved me an extra $400 when discounts came out. I would never book with AAA again as long as there is MJ.
Minor clarification of this statement: AAA can get any discount MJ can get. But it may take some work on your part (see this thread for my recent experience (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162377)). AAA agents are not as familiar with WDW as MJ agents are, and AAA agents won't be on constant lookout for deals and won't automatically rebook you at lower rates (if a better deal comes along) like MJ would do - unless you happen to have a really on-the-ball AAA agent.

Moreover, if no general public discounts are out a AAA agent might be able to get you a better deal than a MJ agent because AAA has its own sets of discounts that it has negotiated directly with Disney.

Why do this instead of a Disney focused travel agent like MJ? For the other perks. Most importantly, getting a AAA Diamond Parking pass, which lets you park in reserved lanes closer to the park entrances than the general public. There's a few other coupons you get through AAA, mostly at DTD.

The downsides to using a AAA agent is lack of Disney knowledge and they won't make dining reservations. Otherwise, from a financial perspective, it doesn't matter what type of agent you use.

#1donaldfan
02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
The downsides to using a AAA agent is lack of Disney knowledge and they won't make dining reservations. Otherwise, from a financial perspective, it doesn't matter what type of agent you use.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on your particular AAA agent....yes, they are not MJ agents, however in our experience our AAA agent has never failed us and always keeps us in the discount loop.....so, as in everything....it's who you know....:thumbsup:

Disnamic Duo
02-22-2010, 02:21 PM
If you plan to purchase AAA solely for the purpose of getting a room discount, I'd wait to see if WDW has a special pin code for the timeframe you're going. The WDW discounts are often better than the AAA rates. You can always book ahead of time (I'd suggest through MJ) with an AAA rate. Then, when your trip is close, if WDW does indeed have a good rate, have MJ switch it. If WDW doesn't come out with a good rate, purchase the AAA (before you arrive at WDW).

Aurora's Spindle
02-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Couple of dumb questions ...

Are AAA discount rates available year-round, or only at certain intervals throughout the year? Also (though I'm doubtful) can AAA be used in conjunction with other discount offers, or is it a "choose the better deal" kind of thing?

MidnTPK
02-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Couple of dumb questions ...

Are AAA discount rates available year-round, or only at certain intervals throughout the year? Also (though I'm doubtful) can AAA be used in conjunction with other discount offers, or is it a "choose the better deal" kind of thing?

You can't double up on the discounts. But you can have a AAA agent book any of the discounts available that a Disney focused agent would handle, including PIN offers.

I don't know about your first question.

DVC2004
02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
If you plan to purchase AAA solely for the purpose of getting a room discount, I'd wait to see if WDW has a special pin code for the timeframe you're going. The WDW discounts are often better than the AAA rates. You can always book ahead of time (I'd suggest through MJ) with an AAA rate. Then, when your trip is close, if WDW does indeed have a good rate, have MJ switch it. If WDW doesn't come out with a good rate, purchase the AAA (before you arrive at WDW).

But I have never gotten a single pin code from Disney- I'm a DVC member so...

Disnamic Duo
02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
But I have never gotten a single pin code from Disney- I'm a DVC member so...

But, WDW comes out with discounts for the general public. You could use one of those, and it might very well be better than the AAA discount.

DVC2004
02-24-2010, 03:37 PM
But, WDW comes out with discounts for the general public. You could use one of those, and it might very well be better than the AAA discount.

Oh OK. I see what you are saying. Thanks for the info!

Harriet
02-26-2010, 02:37 PM
1) Disney
. . . 10%-25% on rooms
. . . 2%-6% on tickets
. . . 10% at World of Disney

2) Sea World
. . . 14% (adults at kids' prices)
. . . 8% on tours

3) Busch
. . . 6%-28% (single day & combo tix)

Your awsome I was just looking for that info. I am booked at POR and POP for November and was looking for ticket discount info. Counting the days. Now my planning starts since I just book the airlines this morning.:thumbsup::cloud9: