PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned legendary years

forever a child
02-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Never having stayed at POP, I recently just heard about the Abandoned legendary years buildings from other posts on this site. I was wondering if anyone could share anything about them. I find this kind of stuff very interesting (not very magical, but interesting).:hmghost:

NJDad
02-18-2010, 06:18 AM
There is, or used to be at least, a video tour of them on youtube.

They seem to bother a lot of folks, but since we've stayed there a bunch of times and have never had a view of them (except in transit) it didn't trouble us too much.

wmdaddy
02-18-2010, 07:36 AM
There's not much to say. It's just a bunch of empty buildings.

I don't consider any room at any of the Values (or Mods for that matter) as having a view. Who sits by their window inside the room and looks outside?

Ian
02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Essentially when Pop opened it was supposed to have two separate and distinct sections ... "The Legendary Years", which encompassed the decades of the 1900's, 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's and "The Classic Years" which was the 50's through the 90's.

I guess assuming that the more current years would resonate better with guests, they constructed the Classic Years area first with the intention of then moving on to finish the Legendary Years section after Classic opened.

But then 9/11 happened and tourism to WDW plummetted so they shelved the completion of Legendary Years indefinitely. The buildings just sort of sit there abandoned and half built.

Over the years there have been some rumors that they were going to restart construction on them, turn them into Family Suites like what they have at All Stars, and some other stuff but now with the economic situation being what it is they still just sit there empty.

Here's a pic of what they look like now:

coneygoil
02-18-2010, 09:09 AM
The main building of the Legendary Years in the back of POP looks like a haunted house. Maybe Disney should have a "haunted" resort!

DVC2004
02-18-2010, 09:11 AM
The main building of the Legendary Years in the back of POP looks like a haunted house. Maybe Disney should have a "haunted" resort!

LOL- now that would sell! I bet they would have no problem booking that up.

forever a child
02-18-2010, 05:24 PM
I thought I heard or read that the main lobby was completed...but I have never seen or heard anything about that.

Yep, I bet if they booked it as a haunted hotel after all the history of the rooms and a few good press released rumors of ghosts or whatever that it would be a real hit!:skull:

caryrae
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM

I thought I heard or read that the main lobby was completed...but I have never seen or heard anything about that.

Yep, I bet if they booked it as a haunted hotel after all the history of the rooms and a few good press released rumors of ghosts or whatever that it would be a real hit!:skull:

Not a bad idea, a Haunted Mansion Resort. :)

badkitty
02-18-2010, 10:14 PM
It is too bad that it hasn't been finished. Looking at the photo, it looks like a lot of the structure is in place but now it is just rotting away. What a shame.

TheRustyScupper
02-19-2010, 12:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone could share anything about them.

1) Yes.
2) Disney is waiting for them to become a REAL eyesore.
3) When they become an urban legend, they might do something with them.

moe513
02-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I know the economy is bad but that didnt stop Disney putting more money into the DVCs at AK or CR. It is interesting. And the buildings are creepy looking.

LudwigVonDrake
02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
They should either bulldoze them or develop it into a new working resort. It's an embarrassment to have them just sitting there rotting :(

eandrsmom
02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I just watched the video on You Tube, it is really creepy!

Carolanne
02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I remember when I first stumbled upon that section of the resort. I spied it from I think Generation Gap bridge.

I find the abandoned section kind of creepy, really sad. And seeing the video on youtube...shudder. And for some reason, I don't see it being a healthy area, if that makes sense...

It's sad--what a waste of space. I'd imagine to even try to complete that section of the resort...would they need to start from scratch? For as long as the section has stood as is, I can't believe any of it would be salvageable.

bruin1344
02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
They should either bulldoze them or develop it into a new working resort. It's an embarrassment to have them just sitting there rotting :(

i agree, its a major eye sore, i cant disney cant find a way to bulldoze them or hide them somehow

DizneyRox
02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I know the economy is bad but that didnt stop Disney putting more money into the DVCs at AK or CR. It is interesting. And the buildings are creepy looking.

The difference is that DVC is paid for by the members and then maintained by the annual dues (and the cash rooms set aside). Pop would be a drain on Disneys bottom line if it's not running at certain occupancy levels. Disney is having a hard time filling their existing rooms, never mind another resort the size of Pop.

It probably saved them tons. It was probably written off as some sort of loss, and not having the drain of the administrative costs right now is a bonus.

Ian
02-22-2010, 12:12 PM
The difference is that DVC is paid for by the members and then maintained by the annual dues (and the cash rooms set aside). Pop would be a drain on Disneys bottom line if it's not running at certain occupancy levels. Disney is having a hard time filling their existing rooms, never mind another resort the size of Pop.That's why I expect you'll continue to see existing hotel rooms converted to DVC rooms, like what they did at Animal Kingdom Lodge, the old Disney Institute, etc.

I fully expect the next DVC properties will probably be at the Poly and/or Grand Floridian where they'll take a building (or two) and convert them to DVC rooms.

DizneyRox
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeppers! Poly and the Grand are PERFECT candidates for DVC. Moreso than the Contemporary I thought. I've got to imagine that the point cost would be significantly above the minimum contract (currently) so they are holding off until they can up the minimum to cover a stay at the Poly then the Grand.

There's a plan, just takes a little reading between the lines I think to figure it out.

DVC is really what they want to do, AK and the Contemporary have shown us that.