PDA

View Full Version : Walkie-Talkies?

michellerose1579
02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Ok so my mom refuses to get a cell phone and I know we will probably split up a few times during our trip. Someone suggested walkie talkies. Anyone have any suggestions?

Goofy4TheWorld
02-17-2010, 10:58 PM
As long as your mom has the know-how to operate a cell phone, you could probably buy a pre-paid phone like a TracFone at Walmart for what you would pay for walkie talkies, and just give her the phone to use at the world.

FLKatie912
02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I agree with the above. Even the "Go-Phones" for AT and T are about $30 these days.

KylesMom
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
We've tried high-end walkie talkies before, and couldn't communicate at all at Disney. We sure would pick up other folks' discussions, however.

My mom is a non-cell phone user (on her fixed income she can't afford it), so we bought her a Trac-Fone & minutes in case she needs us in an emergency. I also concur that this is the way to go. :mickey:

Tink#64
02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
We also tried walkie talkies once & we NEVER were able to make a connection. Cell phones worked great! I agree with above posters, by an inexpensive prepaid for your mom! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
I also recommend a cheap pre-paid cell phone. We used walkie-talkies at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg a number of years ago and I hated it. The reception was terrible unless I wanted to hear what everyone else who had walkie talkies was saying. Plus, they were heavier and more awkward than almost any cell phone I've ever owned (except my first one - a HUGE old dinosaur!).

Ms. Mode
02-18-2010, 08:01 AM
And then there is the pre-cell phone idea...make a meeting place and set a time to be there :thumbsup: That's the old-timers way:mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
And then there is the pre-cell phone idea...make a meeting place and set a time to be there :thumbsup: That's the old-timers way:mickey:

Sure, you can all meet at the front gate right where you tie off your horse (and buggy if youv'e got money) for the day. :D:D:D I kid, I kid!

Urbss
02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
My family has used the walkie talkie's and had no problem at all.

I actually thought it was a great investment because we have used them in many difference situations over the last 3 years.

If you go this route, just make sure you buy a decent brand name and make sure they claim to go up to at least 8 or 10 miles. I think those claims are line-of-site, not true miles, so if there are obstacles in between, then you need a unit that will hand 6-8 miles to cover a 1/2 mile area (that is just my opinion - I have no way to substatiate this statement).