PDA

View Full Version : Seems excessive $$ to me

disneymom15
02-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Just got back from WDW last week and had a great time. We like the "create your own treats" at Goofy's in DTD. We usually get the 3 pretzel rods dipped in white choc, rolled in pecans, drizzled with milk choc. The price had been 3 pretzels for $3.75. We bought some on this trip and the price had taken a big jump. The new price was $5.75. Does anyone else think thats a bit excessive? Just wondering if I'm getting cheap in my old age.

KAT1811
02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
It's all relative. It's Disney so everything is expensive. I try to look at it as something special. They tend to taste better since they are in Disney. I don't mind splurging once in a while.

That being said I just bought three cupcakes for $7.50 this weekend.

Ian
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Are you really asking if $6 is too expensive for 3 pretzel rods dipped in some cheap chocolate?

Let me ask you ... if you went to your local supermarket and they tried to sell you 3 pretzel rods dipped in some cheap chocolate for six dollars would you buy them? ;)

Just kidding, but yeah. Of course it's too expensive. But Disney World is a tourist trap and everything is too expensive.

Ms. Mode
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
This is one reason why we get the DDP, the snacks are included and I don't get sticker shock:thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
This reminds me of my story of the :bar: from our August 2009 adventure. The :bar: cost $2.75 each on the Sunday, but were $3.25 on the Monday! The nice CM gave it to my DS for free, because I said "That's 50 cents more than yesterday!" .... :eyes: As long as we'll pay for it....:mickey:

BrerGnat
02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Of course it's excessive. I dare anyone to name a food product at Disney that is REASONABLY priced.

As a consumer, you always have the option to "just say no."

TheVBs
02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
You know, if it were anywhere else, I would probably pass at that price. At WDW the price wouldn't surprise me, unless I remembered them being less on a previous trip like you do. Or .50 less the day before, like Mickey'sGirl's story!! I guess you have to decide how important it is to you to get them and then judge the worth. If you'd be just as happy without or paying less for something else, I'd say pass on them.

MaxPower
02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
If you think that's bad, try parking in a Disney Lot or renting a stroller!

mouseketeer mom
02-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Our rule of thumb is everything in WDW is going to be much more expensive then we expect.

retiredfigment
02-21-2010, 07:58 AM
When we were there in December, I was surprised that they were more expensive, but okay that being said.... I was really disappointed that I was paying more for fewer choices. Last time you could choose caramel as one of the dips and I love caramel.:(

Goofy Pluto
02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Any idea how much the giant chocolate covered Oreos were? I got one of those last time and it was AWESOME!

RBrooksC
03-04-2010, 08:06 AM
You are a captive audience. Because of this, prices can be set higher than one would see at their local mall or supermarket.

This happens in movie theaters, stadiums and any other "closed system." This is why there are rules dictating no outside food or drinks.

If you are prevented from bringing in anything of your own, you are forced to purchase the item inside the closed system. So, the owners can then charge a higher price for the items because they know people will pay for it.

When you go to a stadium, a plastic cup of cheap beer is, at minimum, $5.

Disney is not alone in this practice. This is Marketing 101.

However, I do believe it has gotten out of hand and, so do many places like Airports. That is why you see the promotion of "Mall-Pricing."

I would never expect to see that any places like Disney or stadiums change this policy. A good deal of money is made from this practice and it helps keep prices of other things in check.

luvdiznee
03-04-2010, 08:57 AM
As I was told before, that's why Mickey's hands are so big, so he can get all your money. :mickey::secret:

grumpyguy
03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
yes...expensive BUT! it was a "disney" pretzel!!:mickey:
i only wish i was buying right now:cloud9:

brer frog
03-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Of course it's excessive. I dare anyone to name a food product at Disney that is REASONABLY priced.

As a consumer, you always have the option to "just say no."

the pickles near the HM (forget that land name) are only a buck ;)

BrerGnat
03-04-2010, 12:54 PM

ONLY a buck??? ;)

I get what you're saying though. At Disneyland, for the LONGEST time, the chocolate dipped biscotti at the Main Street Bakery were only $0.69!!! It was like a secret. Now, they are $1.99. Guess too many people heard the secret. :D

DisneyPrincess21
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
As I was told before, that's why Mickey's hands are so big, so he can get all your money. :mickey::secret:

When i was in WDW in december, a security cm who was checking bags said to me after he checked my purse "be sure to hurry and zip your purse up, disney will get your money fast enough anyway, no need to help them" LOL

yes...expensive BUT! it was a "disney" pretzel!!:mickey:
i only wish i was buying right now:cloud9:

i am the same way, normally i wouldnt spend the same amount of money on the same things locally, but it is Disney, so everything taste better :cloud9:

LauraleeH
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
If I'm going to buy something overpriced, I go to Godiva, because their stuff is AMAZING! Don't get me wrong, I love a good Mickey bar, but otherwise I don't waste my calories and money for snacks from Disney. It never tastes that great to me :blush:

RBrooksC
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Unless you are getting something uniquely Disney, I wouldn't waste money on it.

A Dole Whip? I have never had it but I would spend money to try it.

A hot dog at Casey's? Unless I really needed lunch, most likely I wouldn't.

It all goes down to the perceived value of the item. And since all prices in a closed system are inflated, the perceived value needs to be much higher than it usually would. That is why it would have be something I couldn't get elsewhere before I would spend extra money for it.

caryrae
03-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Kinda like at tourist spots where a bottle of soda from vending machine is $2.50 maybe more these days but at most grocerey stores or gas stations you can get a 2 liter bottle for $.99. There is no reason a regular bottle of soda should cost that much. Just at the airport recently we dropped someone of and went in with them and soda from the machine was $2.50 and a juice was $3.00.

KAT1811
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
That is why it would have be something I couldn't get elsewhere before I would spend extra money for it.

Ooooo. . . .like the german chocolate cookie from Goofy's Candy Co. :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: I actually cut it into fours and eat it little by little to really savor it. I think the caloric and fat content bothers me more than the $$$ ;)

goofygirl67
03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
I must have my soft pretzels and rice krispie treats when I go down. I know the prices have gone up but it is the only time I eat those items. If you want a cheap soda at WDW go to the Hess gas stations, normally the coke is 2/2.22 even better than the grocery stores.

forever a child
03-13-2010, 05:09 PM

That is a reasonable price:D DD and I are always getting dill pickles where ever we go and that is the standard price at the local gas station, Huber Farms Market and WDW!:thumbsup:

Giselle
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Here, here! Disney is expensive, but you are getting *special* Disney magic with each item.

EPCOT84
04-04-2010, 04:18 PM
When i was in WDW in december, a security cm who was checking bags said to me after he checked my purse "be sure to hurry and zip your purse up, disney will get your money fast enough anyway, no need to help them" LOL

That's just too funny !

But anyway for the OP, a two dollar jump sounds high even for Disney but you don't mention how far back was the last trip. Even within Disney, free market pricing will work. If a product price is too high, sales slow and maybe they will rethink that product by either changing it, eliminating it, or adjusting price. That is what drives change in any market. So the question is what is that Disney moment worth to your family? Base you spending on that value.

Laughin' place
04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
My head says, "supply and demand".
My heart (which the Mouse has a pretty good grip on) says:
1) why do we pay to fly there, as expensive as that can be (for all of the following, please keep in mind Im talking about a big Disney sap (yours truly), a darling and increasingly Disney Mousewife, and the Brute Squad (four hulking teenage boys -- ANYTHING ANYWHERE costs me an arm and a leg)
2) why pay a premium for a hotel room with pictures of mice in it ??
3) if you want to think like an economist, arent some of WDW's rides technically quite similar to county fair/six flags/etc
4) icecream covered in chocolate shouldnt taste any different, just because its shaped like 3 circles, and
5) do you know how much Id pay this minute to be sitting outside the Meadows trading post eating a Mickey Bar, or sharing a cookie with my little sister when we were kids roaming the MK by oursleves at night??
Sure there are some high prices and borderline rip-offs, but I would give just about anything to be shellling out money in my laughing place right now.
You know, I wouldnt take back one of the very many dollars Ive left at WDW (except for the Backyard BBQ that one year...my worst Disney memory ever, LOL)

EeyoresBestFriend
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Sure there are some high prices and borderline rip-offs, but I would give just about anything to be shellling out money in my laughing place right now.
You know, I wouldnt take back one of the very many dollars Ive left at WDW

I'd give ANYTHING to be there RIGHT NOW!!

For the memories I have made spending that money have been priceless and, at times, magical!

Let me tell you there is nothing like paying $.45 on the dollar more AND those prices!! :sick: But as you can see, it didn't stop us!! :D You just have to save a little more . . . and yes it has been worth every penny of it !!!

Ppufi
04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I think this is why my mom stressed a big breakfast before we went to the parks. We saved enough to buy more expensive merchandice. :P

Disneyfan28
04-11-2010, 04:15 PM
You know, I wouldnt take back one of the very many dollars Ive left at WDW (except for the Backyard BBQ that one year...my worst Disney memory ever, LOL)

Agree 100% - on both...We also did Mickeys backyard bbq last year needless to say that was a mistake we will never make again but it was during free dining so we didnt actuallly pay for it. Our moto is always "we're on vacation price doesnt matter"

DisneyPrincess21
04-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Our moto is always "we're on vacation price doesnt matter"

I am the same way, I work hard all year spending my money wisely and not being wasteful. So on my vacation at Walt Disney World, I really want to just enjoy myself, and if I see something I get it. All year long I do without things because they aren't practical, or they are too much, So i always save up extra spending money so I can shop and not have to tell myself "no"

DisneyNut6777
04-12-2010, 10:25 PM
:mickey: Agree. Yes it is a higher price when My DW and I visit WDW, but well worth it. The memories, and smiles that feed into my mind almost daily are priceless. Last week my DW and I went to see a movie (during the matinee hours) and that price for tickets was not too bad, however $$$18.50 for 1 large drink, and a large bag of pop corn (Not the big Bucket anymore, just a weak , cheap bag that leaked butter all over my pants. LOL) . Now I can buy a pretty large drink, Large popcorn and more for that price at Disney. So I don't mind spending extra, and even though it is higher I expect it, and :blush: enjoy the heck out of most of what I get. Needless to say we save a great deal of the time to do a Disney trip, but to us it is worth it.:party2:

crltkcagle
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM
thats cute!

Kaps
04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
All tourist traps are too expensive. I just went to the meadowlands in New Jersey and Chicken nuggets (three with some fries) were $8:50. A beer was $8:50 but people are lined up for it. As long as someone is willing to pay the prices will always go up.:confused: