PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West?

DisneyMom3
02-16-2010, 09:10 AM
We are thinking about booking a studio room at Old Key West the last weekend in March.

What can you tell me about about the studio room? Do the studios have that cool tub and bathroom or is that only in the 1 and 2 bedrooms?

Regarding transportation....do the boats go from Key West to Epcot? Can you walk to Epcot?

How does Old Key West compare to Port Orleans Riverside?

Sorry for all the questions. We haven't been to Disney in some time...we are looking to stay some place different. Thanks for your help!:mickey:

Ian
02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
What can you tell me about about the studio room?Well it's been awhile since I've stayed in one ... I think it was back in 2005 maybe, but I wasn't that impressed. It felt sort of run-down to me. In fact, it was the first DVC room I ever stayed in and my immediate reaction was "This is it?"

Honestly, the feeling I got from it was sort of like a low-level, beach area motel.

Now bear in mind that was five years ago. Maybe they've redone them since, but I'm not sure. I can say I've stayed in a 2BR there more recently and I still found it sort of run-down feeling. The whole resort, in fact, felt a bit unkempt. The landscaping especially was pretty overgrown ... we actually had to duck under tree branches to get to the door to our room.

Do the studios have that cool tub and bathroom or is that only in the 1 and 2 bedrooms?From what I can see on the floor plans and what I remember, no. They don't have the big soaking tubs. They just have a standard tub/shower combo.

Regarding transportation....do the boats go from Key West to Epcot? Can you walk to Epcot? No. The boats at OKW go to Downtown Disney, not Epcot. You cannot walk there from OKW either.

How does Old Key West compare to Port Orleans Riverside?Honestly, it's been so long since I've stayed at POR that I can't really say (in fact, it was still Dixie Landings when I stayed there last).

From a location and transportation standpoint they're basically the same. I think POR was refurbed a lot more recently than OKW, though.

WelshieLover
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I like OKW. I am not sure it is run down as much as the previous poster says or perhaps I am less picky. I think is more casual than a lot of the other Disney resorts. I like the "overgrown" look of the landscaping I think it makes it feel more authentic again more casual. We just got back form the BW after staying at OKW the 2 previous trips. My 21 year old son said the the OKW rooms were somewhere you could actually live in they were that large. The BW rooms were much smaller. We chose the BW for location (you can walk to EPCOT and DHS).

I have only stayed in the 1 and 2 bedroom units at OKW. I think you can see the room layouts somewhere on this board or somewhere on the web.

I think you will like OKW. Are you driving or taking all WDW transportation? If you have a car then it does not matter where your room is, if you don't try and get a room closer to the main pool area.

Ian
02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
My 21 year old son said the the OKW rooms were somewhere you could actually live in they were that large. The BW rooms were much smaller. We chose the BW for location (you can walk to EPCOT and DHS).That's a plus I forgot to mention. I think the OKW rooms are the biggest of any of the DVC resorts.

kakn7294
02-16-2010, 04:55 PM
I haven't stayed there yet but plan to in August. In my true obsessive fashion, I've done a lot of research on the place. The studios currently have 2 queen beds, a table and chairs, a dresser with tv, a kitchenette with mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, and sink. The vanity is in the bathroom with the toilet and tub/shower. The tub is a standard tub, not a jetted/soaking tub. The rooms are the largest of any DVC studios. The entire resort is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment. I haven't seen any pics yet of the new rooms - I don't believe they are done with any at this point.

ThanxForNoticin
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I think most of the posters have answered your questions, but just a few points of my own:

We stay at OKW often, and it is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are large, the resort is relaxing, and there are lots of activities for folks to enjoy there (tennis, shuffleboard, basketball, bike rentals, etc). We were at OKW twice last year, and never do we ever get an impression of it being run-down.

The regular rooms are studios, and they do not have the large jacuzzi tubs. You need to move up to a 1BR, 2BR, or Grand Villa to get the master bedroom suite that includes that tub. But even the studios are significantly larger than your standard rooms.

Except for the buses (which will take you to all 4 theme parks and DTD), the only alternative transportation is a relaxing boat ride to DTD (or you can walk the 1+ miles if you prefer).

We also really like POR, but given the choice, we'd be at OKW. The transportation from POR is exactly the same (buses to the parks and a boat ride available to DTD).

Good luck with you choice (by the way, you don't have a bad choice here!). Enjoy your stay.

KAT1811
02-17-2010, 05:00 PM
What can you tell me about about the studio room? Do the studios have that cool tub and bathroom or is that only in the 1 and 2 bedrooms?

I didn't feel that the rooms at OKW were run down at all. Very clean and warm. We LOVE OKW!!! The studios are very spacious. Much, much larger than a regular resort (value, moderate, or deluxe) room. They have two queen beds, a nightstand, small table with two chairs, a kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator, toaster, coffee pot, and sink. They also have a patio or balcony, and a good sized bathroom with a standard shower, no big soaking tub.

To be honest we spent a week in a studio and a week in a two bedroom this past November and we were so busy in the parks that no one (other then the kids for baths) even had time to use the tub. We have a big tub at home and the kids use it often so it wasn't a big draw for them (easier to bathe all three little ones at once! ;)) So if you are die hard park people chances are you won't get a ton of use out of it anyway.

Regarding transportation....do the boats go from Key West to Epcot? Can you walk to Epcot?

No boats to Epcot but the boat ride to DTD is really nice. We truly enjoyed taking the ride to DTD. A huge plus was being able to just wheel the stroller right on the boat without having to fold it up and unload all the kids.

I have to say that the bus service was the best we have ever had in all of WDW. We got used to the pick ups and drop offs and figured out a simple system early on in the week. (we would walk to the main stop and get on since it was the last pick up spot and then our stop was the first on the return so we bypassed the rest of the internal stops). We NEVER had a full bus or had to wait in line at all. On multiple trips we were one of maybe a dozen people on the bus. One night on our return from Epcot (at closing time) we only had two other people on the bus with us!

How does Old Key West compare to Port Orleans Riverside?

It doesn't! OKW blows POR WAY, WAY, WAY out of the water. We were in Disney 18 days last November. We did our first night at POP (never again, I'll go back to ASMo or ASMu first, then a week in a studio at OKW, then a week in a 2BR at OKW, and then two nights at POR) I was looking forward to trying POR since everyone raves about it on here. Sorry to everyone that likes it but, not a fan. As far as a moderate goes, CSR is my favorite.