PDA

View Full Version : First Week of January

ali'sdad2003
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
How are crowds, in general, from about Jan. 2nd to Jan. 9? My daughter has X-mas break until Jan. 10th 2011 and we are thinking of going then. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :mickey:

Thanks in advance.:D

Ms. Mode
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Our DD was on Christmas break from college this year so we went for our first every winter trip to WDW. We loved it! However, it was VERY Cold...the front went through with record lows.

The crowd was not to bad...most rides you would wait no more that 25 minutes without FP.

We are going again next year...or 12.31.2010.
Maybe we'll see you there :)

snowflakegirl
02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
It was a number of years ago now, so I don't know how things have changed, but I was there from January 5 - January 11th in 2004...The crowds were very light. The longest wait we had the whole vacation was 25 minutes (and that was for Peter Pan's Flight)! As far as temperatures, it was a little difficult to plan for. There were days I started in jeans, a tank top, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt and by mid day I'd be down to the tank...and by mid evening I'd be back in all 3 layers. And there was one evening that was so chilly, even with all the layers, that I sat wrapped in a new beach towel and drinking copious amounts of hot chocolate to make it through Fantasmic. If I didn't work in a school system that has us back after winter break by the 3rd of January, I would definitely do January again!

ThanxForNoticin
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
You can never know for sure, but in general what I think you can expect is that WDW will be extremely busy New Year's weekend - both Sat, 1/1 and Sun, 1/2. The crowds will probably go down quite a bit that Monday through Thursday (as people go home from the holiday period), then there will be a slight bump in the crowds as you get closer to 1/9, due to the Disney Marathon events going on that weekend. In general, it should be a good time to be there - you just can't be certain of the weather. Most years it's pretty good. This past year, it was unusually cold. Enjoy your trip!

faline
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I expect crowds will remain relatively high through the 2nd. Many schools will probably resume classes on the 3rd next year based on the placement of the 1st. Crowds should diminish quite a lot then.

amorillo
02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
We went a few years ago (2006) for my son's b-day (1-5)... and it was wonderful. Crowds were low and we still got to check out quite a few holiday attractions! Osbourne's spectacle of lights, being my favorite! Simply beautiful! But, yes... the weather can be unpredictable... winter coats, scarf, hat and gloves one day... t-shirts the next... but still a great time to go! :D

Mousefever
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
We've gone twice from Jan. 1 to Jan. 9/10. I was surprised at how crowded it was each time until the 5th or 6th. The crowds may be light compared to Christmas week, but the parks were pretty crowded and lines were longer than I thought they would be.

Amy

WelshieLover
02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
We were there that week in 2009. The weekends were relatively crowded, but we were able to experience some of the Christmas decorations and the last night of the Osborne Lights at DHS that first weekend. Monday thru Thursday were uncrowded. One day at MK we walked onto everything. Later in the week the people running the half marathon and the marathon began to arrive. Those events did make the parks more crowded and also effected the transportation because roads were closed and the buses rerouted (we eeven drove through the backlot in EPCOT by where Test Track is to take ME back to the airport, it was really kind of neat to see the backlot). I would definitely recommend going that week. When we were there we had nice weather this year 2010 that week was extremely cold there. You never know in January what the weather will be. We lucked out in 2009 and 2010 with nice weather for our January trips.